Strategy & Tactics Magazine

Military & Wargaming Magazines and e-zines

Moderator: Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strategy & Tactics Magazine

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm a subscriber of this magazine...and though it ain't cheap, it's well worth the money in my opinion. There's a version (the game version) where you can get a free game in every issue but that's way out of my price range. Still, even without the game, it's an awesome magazine.

It fills that niche of history magazine, military magazine, and wargaming magazine. It's associated with Decision Games, and published by Strategy & Tactics Press out of Bakersfield, California. Published bi-monthly for just shy of $25 USD.

Current issue I am reading is #284

image.jpg

Shenandoah: a detailed analysis of the Battles of Port Royal and Cross Keys during Confederate Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson’s 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign.

Other Articles:
German Navy's Lost Opportunity: an examination of the operational strength of the German High Seas Fleet and the British Grand Fleet in the North Sea during the opening months of WWI.

Military History of the Qadafi Regime: a complete history of the now-dead dictator’s military misadventures, from his seizure of power at the end of the 1960s through his fall in 2011.

China's Great Walls: an analysis of the strategic role played by this most massive of all human-built structures in the military history of China and East Asia.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Re: Strategy & Tactics Magazine

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:54 am

Had no idea that was still being published. I have a few issues from the '80s, the ones with the Central Front series (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/4255/central-front-series).
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:57 am

I like their WW2 version "World at War" all WW2. They also do "Modern War" which is pretty self explanatory and probably right up Scott's (jostas) alley.

World at War main article for Dec-Jan is Operation Shingle the battle for Anzio.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:29 pm

I got World at War the first year they published it and liked it a lot....I've tried to cull down the amount of paper-bound magazines I subscribe to, as they tended to pile up quicker than I had time to read them....I have a Kindle Fire and if I subscribe to general history or art magazines again, it'll likely be in that format; but for wargaming, I still like to have the larger printed maps and pictures in paper magazine form.

And yes, I would say the Modern War edition is definitely up Scott's alley!

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Whiterook wrote:I've tried to cull down the amount of paper-bound magazines I subscribe to, as they tended to pile up quicker than I had time to read them....

I hear what your saying Em, although it can be fun to sit down and whittle away at that pile of magazines on a snowy weekend!! I really wish I could afford the subscription that comes with the game in each issue.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:46 pm

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks, I can't believe I never saw that before!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:32 am

josta59 wrote:Thanks, I can't believe I never saw that before!

You're welcome.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:06 pm

josta59 wrote:Thanks, I can't believe I never saw that before!

They sometimes send a free issue to me to entice me to subscribe, though I am afraid I don't have the last ones anymore. But, you could always email S&T and ask for a trial issue...I bet they'd send you one!!!

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:07 am

I get those from second hand places when I can as the older articles are still relevant. A good but possibly
heretical thing I do is to read the mag then leave it for a while and look again. After that I cut (yes I know - gasp)
the articles out and leave the rest for the recycling as most of it is ads anyway. I have files with plastic inserts
where the articles go and a different file for periods. This saves a heap of room and also a heap of time when I
am looking for specific things later on. Ruins the resale value but if you are a military info hoarder as I am ( you
know who you are) it really requires drastic measures to keep some control.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

Return to “Rags & Mags”