CALL FOR PLAYERS (11/2014): Tank on Tank (Western Front)

Completed Missions

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

CALL FOR PLAYERS (11/2014): Tank on Tank (Western Front)

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:55 pm

Now that we've had a few games under our belts, and completed a Campaign Series, it's time for a new...

Call for Players! :D Note that I can run several games of two players so don't hesitate to sign up!!!

Tank on Tank is a game by game designer Peter Bogdasarian. It's a smaller game, by wargame standards, that can be learned in less than a half hour (they claim less than 5 minutes, but come-on!). The wargame depicts tactical ground combat in Europe in the latter years of World War II.

So how is it played?

COUNTERS:The units are VERY basic, with logistics factors under the unit silhouette.

HARD TARGETS: in order, left to right....
  • Range factor]
  • Defense factor
  • Movement Points.

SOFT TARGETS: Same as above, except...they have two defense values listed as a fraction (e.g., 8/9 on an ATG), where the value before the slash is used when in Clear terrain, and the value to the right of the slash is used when on a Hill or in woods and town hexes. Note that Soft Targets may move or fire, but they cannot do both! (A hard Target can move in a turn, and then spend more APs and fire).

HQ UNITS: Unit names that are underlined are Headquarters Units. Some scenarios already have HQ units allotted, but when you loose an HQ, you can designate one of your regular units to be replaced with an HQ unit version. HQ's allow free movement for adjacent units, whether the HQ unit itself moves or not! This makes them a crucial part of your tactics. You can also have "Aces" on tanks that allow re-rolls. Artillery units can fire indirectly with the aid of any unit with LOS.

ACTIONS: A turn-based game between an Allied (American) and an Axis (German) player, you expend Action Points (AP's) to move and/or shoot per turn. You always have 2 APs per turn; and may earn up to another 2 APs, determined by a dice roll I (the GameMaster) will make. The thing is, you will not know whether you have 2, 3, or 4 Aps until AFTER you send me your orders!!! :mrgreen: This adds a "tension" element to the game....or maybe even a mild Fog of War in the fact that you may not have enough AP's to do all that you'd like! You will give your orders (actions) to me for what you'd like to do with four potential AP's worth, and I'll perform the actions up to what you have AP's you earned to accomplish. I will go in order given until AP's are exhausted, so choose your beginning 2 AP's carefully!!!

It costs 1 AP's to...
  • Pivot and/or move one unit
  • Fire a single or multiple (firegroup) units at ONE target (no splitting fire)
  • Promote a regular unit to an HQ that you've lost

STACKING: You can only have one unit per hex...no stacking. You can never move on top of another units.

MOVEMENT: You can move units a number of hexes up to its Movement Points (MP), which is listed as the third factor to the right on the counter. A unit can always move at least one hex (Minimum Movement Rule). Different terrain costs different MP's...
  • Clear hex = 1 MP
  • Hill hex - 1 MP (NOTE: also adds +1 to Range when atop a hill, except for Infantry)
    Road hex - 1 MP (NOTE: Road Bonus of +1 MP when moving entirely on a road)
    Woods hex = 2 MPs (NOTE: Negated and just 1 AP if moving n a road)
    Town hex = 2 MPs (NOTE: Negated and just 1 AP if moving n a road)
NOTE: INFANTRY ADVANCE - If an Infantry unit eliminates an adjacent enemy unit, it can make a free move into that conquered hex!
NOTE: Hard target units can move and fire once in a turn; Soft target units can move or fire, but not both.

COMBAT: You need RANGE, LINE OF SIGHT (LOS), and the enemy must be in your FIRING ARC. In combat, you can fire one or all of your units at one target or targets. The Firing Arc is determined by your front facing, highlighted by three yellow dots.....

TOT G3 Turn 2 GE.jpg

The hex side with the three yellow dots, and hexsides to the right and left are the Front Firing Arc; the hex side 180 degrees opposite the dots, and it's left and right are the Flank Arc. You can fire in your Front Firing Arc....you cannot fire in your Flank Arc. If two units are adjacent and facing each other, there will be three-doubled dots.

LOS: Traced from Attackers' to the Targets' center dots, you have LOS if the imaginary line does not cross Blocking Terrain (e.g., All Units, Woods, Hills, and Towns). Exception to intervening units is, a unit on a hill can see/be seen by a unit on ground level clear terrain hexes, even if there is a unit in-between.

COMBAT RESOLUTION:
  • 2-dice are rolled and summed
  • Add tthe number of firing units
  • +1 DRM if you are attacking an enemy flank (three rear hexsides opposite the yellow dots)
  • -1 DRM if the target occupies a Woods or Town hex; except if a firegroup includes an Infantry unit(s)
  • TOTAL the above and compare to the Target's Defense (middle factor on the counter)... >= KILL; < = MISS
NOTE: A DR of 2 (snake-eyes) always = MISS; A DR of 12 (Natural) always = KILL
NOTE: The Wespe and Priest SPAs do NOT require LOS to target if at least one other firing unit has LOS, and the SPA is in range
NOTE: If an Anti-tank Gun (ATG) fires by itself at a hard Target, it does NOT consume an AP!!! ...bu it needs to fire that shot before you run out of APs else it's forfeited the shot

ACES: The are exceptional tank crews. If an original attack roll results in a MISS, they can re-roll the dice for another try :D

So in a nutshell, that's the game! It's perfect for beginners, new the hobby; but with enough teeth in it to satisfy hardened Veteran Grognards!

From the Publisher's website:

June 6, 1944.

"The Allies land in Normandy to liberate France from German rule. The liberation however, won’t be an easy road. From D-Day at Omaha Beach, through the battle for Normandy, the Allies will fight the Germans tooth and nail, bayonet and rifle, tank on tank."

• The scale? It doesn't really matter in Tank on Tank, let’s just call it tactical.
  • The units? Tank on Tank includes Shermans, Wolverines, Priests, Tigers, Mark IVs, as well as the infantry and anti-tank guns that fought alongside them.
  • If you’ve been looking for a simple game to scratch that tactical itch, or something to introduce a young tactician to war gaming, Tank on Tank might be the answer.

Who'd like to play???
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Tank on Tank

Postby josta59 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:14 pm

I'm in. I haven't played a tactical H2H game this good since my last game of Tank on Tank, and I miss that kind of action and brain use dearly.

I'm so out of practice now, I fear I won't do as well as last time.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:52 pm

Cool...Frank is back in for another go so, next Match is you two. Now, who else is ready for some Tin Can Action????

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:03 pm

Mike is back in for another go!

I'm checking on another player :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:08 pm

Ecarots is onboard!!! :D Let's get a few more if we can, as well.

charlescab
Private
Private

Postby charlescab » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Im on board!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Excellent!!! :D You're on the third team to play. As soon as we find another player to match you with, I'll get started on the game! Who know's...maybe I'll even jump in the mix :D

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Charlescab! Been a while. Last I saw you, I think I was planning how to avoid your German mutant zombie hordes back in Nuklear Winter '68.

So about 46 years, I guess.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

charlescab
Private
Private

Postby charlescab » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:06 am

lol yea its been a while. Kids are off to college so now I definitely have more time for gaming. Looking forward to playing with you guys again!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:02 pm

OK....I have Game 4 up! That's Josta vs Frank

I'll get the files set up and a thread up in the next couple days for Game 5, Hagen vs ecarots; and Game 6, charlescab vs ?

If someone wants to join in on Game 6, speak up now :D ....otherwise (if Charles doesn't mind), I'll jump in the fray :shock:

Return to “Archives”