Franks 2017 reading challenge log

Annual Reading Challenge

Moderator: Frank

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Franks 2017 reading challenge log

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:14 pm

The Reacher books have fallen off a bit since they started but they are still good and well worth trying.

I am put off seeing the film as there is such a contrast between Cruise and the character he is portraying that I am worried I will just spend most of the film thinking "that is NOT Reacher!", I picture Dolph Lundgen more.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:10 pm

Book 24.

Blood and steel, by Harry Sidebottom.

This is the second book in his prequel series to his Warrior of Rome books.

It is about the attempt to overthrow the emperor Maxaminius but the Gordianii family. There is a good mix of history and action and I really enjoyed it. Sidebottom is definitely one of the better historians turned writers out there.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/120092 ... he-caesars

Book 25.

Revival, by Stephen King.

I have been thinking King has gone of the boil a bit in recent books but this is a return to his best work. It has the classic slow build to a dramatic climax that King does so well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20926278-revival
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:22 am

I have got a bit behind with these entries. as I have read more books than I have posted about, so, try to catch up a bit.

Books 26 and 27.

Cadillac Jukebox, and Cimarron Rose

Both by James Lee Burke.

I have just found this guy and he is one of the best writers I have ever read. I really enjoyed the film version of one of his other books, In The Electric Mist With Confederate Dead (filmed with Tommy Lee Jones, one of my favourite actors) so when I found Jukebox in a charity shop I thought give it a try, and I am glad I did. Featuring the same hero, Dave Robicheaux, as Mist, it is about a Creole lawman trying to remain honest and just do his job in the Louisiana swamps, trying to work, sometimes with, sometimes against the ingrained corruption that he finds everywhere.

http://www.goodreads.com/series/51948-dave-robicheaux

Rose is a different series, about a Texas Ranger turned lawman turned defense lawyer. It has a lot of the same themes, a traditional way of doing things that quite often works against the pursuit of justice, the sense that some people are untouchable.

I have already bought two more in the Robicheaux series and am looking for the rest.
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:15 pm

I got really lucky while on holiday and found loads of books in charity shops which I am going to really enjoy getting through. :D
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Books 28,29,30.

The Divergent trilogy, by Veronica Roth.

I found the first book cheap, tried it and looked round for the others.

Considering they are young adults books they are surprisingly adult in some of their themes and I really enjoyed them. The dystopian setting works really well with society being separated into five factions that delineate your role in society though you can change factions after a test at sixteen to see if you are suited to any of the other factions. The heroine, Tris, finds she is Divergent, having aptitudes for three factions which puts her in a dangerous situation.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/57530-divergent
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Reading Challenge”