Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Frank`s 2016 Reading Challenge Log

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:18 am

Books 29 and 30.

The Murder Bag, The Slaughter Man.
by Tony Parsons.

A new writer to me, this is a crime series set in London, Max Wolfe is a single parent with a young daughter who has just joined a murder investigation team. These are quite bleak books where good does not always win, or at least , not completely. The first one is a growing series of murders that are linked to something that happened years ago with a bunch of upper class lads at a posh school.

The second, Slaughter Man, is, I think, the better book. A family is killed in what seems identical circumstances to a murder years ago, there are even links to the original crime but Max is not convinced it is the original killer.

In both books he makes use of the infamous Black Museum kept by the Metropolitan Police to give him insights into the crimes. These are good procedural books with a slightly unusual central character. and I really enjoyed them. The edition of Slaughter Man that I have also includes the short story, book 2-5, Fresh Blood, which is also good.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/123035-max,wolfe
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:57 pm

Love the scope of material you cover....and the number of books all the other reads is staggering compared to my paltry few, LOL
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:09 pm

I really do like a wide range of genre`s, and have 3 more to post up about when I get the time, one of them you will recognise.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:05 am

Book 31.

Into The Storm, by Taylor Anderson.

Em`s report on this book was interesting so I thought I would give it a try and I really enjoyed it. Great depictions of men in combat, and the alien races are interesting if possibly a bit two dimensional though that could possibly change as the series carries on. I will definitely be looking for the next ones.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/54474-destroyermen
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:03 am

Books 32 and 33.

Redemption, and, Sacrifice, by Will Jordan.

Yet another series where I found the second book in a charity shop and tried it and liked and luckily found the first one in another charity shop while I was reading the other one.

Set in the murky world of international espionage, Ryan Drake is an ex SAS man now working for the CIA as leader of a Shepherd team, small teams responsible for finding missing agents, either to help them if they are in trouble, or to deal with them if they have gone rogue.

In the first one they have to rescue a female agent from a forbidding Russian prison camp. The op goes well but when they get back then everything comes crashing down round Ryans head.

The second one takes place about a year after the first and is pretty much a continuation of the story.

These are great books, I have no real idea of how realistic they are but they are a good read and I am definitely going to be looking for the next ones.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/97916-ryan-drake
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:35 am

Book 34.

Rome. The Emperors Spy.
By Manda Scott.

First in a series set during Nero`s reign, Sebastos Pantera is an ex spy who was badly injured in Britain. He gets mixed in with a school of charioteers who eventually get the interest of the Emperor and are taken to Rome where they end up taking a part in the events surrounding the burning of Rome.

There is a fresh viewpoint on the Christian sects that have sprung up with some fairly controversial theories being put forward. All of which have a solid basis in actual history.

Halfway through reading this I realised that I had already read another in the series, it was not immediately obvious as Pantera despite being the main character is not actually the focal point of the books, instead drifting in and out tying things together.

I really enjoyed this and will be looking for the others in the series. I will probably be checking out her Dreaming series as well.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6940527-rome
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:49 am

Book 35
I Am Death.
By Chris Carter.

This series is one of my favourites. Robert Hunter is a very talented homicide detective who has had to solve a number of quite gruesome cases over the series. This one is no different.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/67232-robert-hunter
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Book 36.
The Furies Of Rome.

By Robert Fabbri.

Seventh in a series about Vespasian, this is another which is set during a period when very little is actually known abut what Vespasian was up to. As the writer freely admits, we know what he was up to while commanding a legion and when he became emperor, but the period in between is pretty blank so he is being inserted into anything that is going on that could be interesting. This time it is Boadicca`s rebellian.

The usual excellent writing and research, I am really enjoying this series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/58804-vespasian
Gandalf the Grey

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:52 pm

I thought it said Furries of Rome for a moment. I was worried.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:38 am

Duncan wrote:I thought it said Furries of Rome for a moment. I was worried.

Sounds like you had a close shave with that mistake.

Sorry, i`ll get me coat.
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Reading Challenge”