josta59's 2015 Reading Challenge Log

Annual Reading Challenge

Moderator: Frank

josta59

Re: josta59's 2015 Reading Challenge Log

Postby josta59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Halfway through the year, and my goal was eight books, so I'm tracking well! I also read a short book that was required for work, something about penguins working together. Our Iceberg Is Melting, it's called. Doesn't really count.

I'm now reading a 400-page book about early Christianity, and the pages are very large, so it's more like reading an 800-page book. But soon I'll take a break from that and read a manga graphic novel, which shouldn't take long at all. So my reading time might get balanced out, and I could still finish the year with eight.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

5. Black Lagoon, Vol. 1, by Rei Hiroe (originally published 2002, English translation 2008)

Now this is a story I can sink my teeth into! Unfortunately, I'm not sure the feel of an action film or comic can truly be captured in literary form, at least not in a style that is satisfying to me. That's why I love comics, and Japanese manga has plenty of interesting things to offer. I've never seen a comic quite like Black Lagoon.

This is about a tiny delivery service headed by former military whose adventures at sea are gnarly enough that they're called pirates. They don't always go around stealing from other boats, but the items they're hired to carry aren't exactly legal in most cases, and they usually are stolen. They steal a regular 9-to-5 type office guy at the beginning of the series, and he joins the pirates and becomes the character through which we see the action.

And there's action a-plenty here. The Black Lagoon is the PT boat our "heroes" use to get around, mostly in the Far East. You guys would appreciate a scene in which they figure out a way to launch a torpedo at an attack helicopter. My kind of story.

This series gets a lot of attention for its female characters, particularly Revy, a.k.a. "Two Hand" (pictured on the cover), one of the Lagoon's crew who handles most of the gunfighting. She's a little over the top, as she singlehandedly brings down several other boats at one point, but it's sure fun to watch.

There's an animated video (anime) version of these stories that I haven't seen, but they do have English translations and have been shown on Adult Swim (don't know how I missed it).

This is the first manga I've purchased in half my lifetime, and I sure picked a winner. I definitely want to read further volumes (there are ten in all).
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Cool cover art, and cool subject matter. You never cease to amaze me! Congrats on keeping track with your goal!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:02 pm

6. The Sun Also Rises, by Ernest Hemingway (1926)

I had read or listened to many of Hemingway's short stories before, but this is the first time I'd finally read one of his books. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Hemingway's a real card. Afterward I drank several bottles of brandy and had a fitful sleep. In the morning I took a swim and went fishing.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:53 am

Just realized I'm not going to reach my goal of eight books for the year. But I did more reading than usual this year, so the challenge was beneficial for me.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 pm

josta59 wrote:Just realized I'm not going to reach my goal of eight books for the year. But I did more reading than usual this year, so the challenge was beneficial for me.

You're not alone, my friend! But that's OK....the point was to get folks reading and it was mission accomplished! I think you did awesome!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:36 pm

Thanks! When you toss in the really long book I was reading when the year started that I didn't count, plus the 200 pages of a 400-page book that I didn't count, plus the short book I read for work that I didn't count, plus the 400-page book I started last week that I've read nearly 100 pages of already, I came pretty damn close.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:33 pm

josta59 wrote:Thanks! When you toss in the really long book I was reading when the year started that I didn't count, plus the 200 pages of a 400-page book that I didn't count, plus the short book I read for work that I didn't count, plus the 400-page book I started last week that I've read nearly 100 pages of already, I came pretty damn close.

:lol: You're a Reading Whirlwind!!!!!

Return to “Reading Challenge”