Whiterook's 2015 Reading Challenge Log

Annual Reading Challenge

Moderator: Frank

McCoy

Re: Whiterook's 2015 Reading Challenge Log

Postby McCoy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:12 am

How about trying for half next year to see who will reach 25 read books? It's still a high number even if I think that I can reach it. Not counting this year and look at the last five years I think that I've read a total of 50 books. That makes ten a year but most of that number is in fact three years ago when I plowed through all the Discworld books once again over the space of three to four months. I really don't have time to read most of the time so my 40 or so books now since midsummer is mostly down to insomnia. In my late teens and say for a period of eight years or so in total I read up to 130 books per year, but that's as they say history...
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:48 am

McCoy wrote:How about trying for half next year to see who will reach 25 read books? It's still a high number even if I think that I can reach it. Not counting this year and look at the last five years I think that I've read a total of 50 books. That makes ten a year but most of that number is in fact three years ago when I plowed through all the Discworld books once again over the space of three to four months. I really don't have time to read most of the time so my 40 or so books now since midsummer is mostly down to insomnia. In my late teens and say for a period of eight years or so in total I read up to 130 books per year, but that's as they say history...

I agree with that.... this year, I mimiced what inspired me to do this, which was Duncan's 50 book goal (I think he's the muse behind the book challenge?).

I think it a better idea to set a blanket cap for all that wish to participate. I was thinking 20 this year, but 25 is a nice round number, too.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:04 pm

Book #13
Command of Honor: General Lucian Truscott's Path to Victory in World War

by H. Paul Jeffers (Author)

image.jpeg
Command of Honor, by H/ Paul Jeffers

Man, this was a loooooooong read!

Not because it wass necessarily long, as it had a typical 300+ page count for a hard over book; and it wasn't because there was so much depth and breath. It's because, it was torture to read!

I actually did something I normally don't do..... I went to look at reviews of the book. Generally (no pun intended), I don't give reviews much credit or eyeball time, 'cause it's generally dumbass's that just want to gripe, butch and whibe, or see themselves in type as pseudo newspaper literary review columnist fare. But I digress....

I looked at reviews after I got say, 20% into this book, and found the reviewers generally mauled this book. And I agreed! Maybe that makes me a dumbass, too.... or we just happen to both be right in this case.

It was torture. I can't even explain why, because i was just too painful to read, nevermind comment on. All I can say is, if you want to write a biography, with apparantly doing very little research, study this book.

If you do read it....Godspeed.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:17 pm

Book #14
Distant Thunders

By Taylor Andersen

image.jpeg
Distant Thunders, by Taylor Anderson

Action sci-fi dosen't get much better than this! In the fourth book of the Destroyermen series, Capt. Reddy, as Commander and Chief of the Alliance of his small contingent of the U.S. Navy, and his Lemurian allies, takes it to the enemy!

The tide is starting to turn in this book, where the Grand Alliance goes from defense to offense, with new weapon and a badass attitude! It's a pleasure ride-read, and a page turner. With so many more books to read in the story, I can't wait to see where this adventure leads.

I am well hooked in the characters, and at this point, it's like being addicted to a TV show! Love it!!!!

My only complaint? The cover....which is nothing like what the dry docck they used looked like; and worse, I came across the image on a separate Google Images search for a model build idea of a totally different subject. Meh.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:36 pm

Well, I made 14 books out of the 50 planned! Oh well, it's the challenge that counts :D I was glad to get in so many good reads!!!!

Return to “Reading Challenge”