Pavlov's House, Test Game

Run-through/Play-through of game rules and mechanics

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pavlov's House, Test Game

Postby Whiterook » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Pavlov's House is a new game designed by David Thompson, and sooncoming out from DVG sometime in the near future (currently on Kickstarter as of this writing and knocking down the walls in pledges!). Dan Verssen has made a beta test copy available on VASSAL, along with draft rulebook on the KS site....this test game is done on this VASSAL module.

NOTE: I have absolutely no idea what I am doing!!! :lol: :shock: Yet!

I am literally playing move by move while reading through the rulebook. And no, I have not read through the rulebook yet :o

So away we go!

Overview

Pavlov’s House was a fortified apartment building used as a strongpoint by the Soviet 62nd Army during the pivotal Battle of Stalingrad in WW2. Soviet defenders held out for almost two months from a constant German assault. The building’s name was drawn from Yakov Pavlov, a sergeant who led the initial storm group assault that resulted in the capture of the building from the Germans. The story of Pavlov’s House was a key piece of Soviet propaganda and was used as a symbol of the incredible resistance of Soviet forces during the Battle of Stalingrad.

In Pavlov’s House, you take control of the valiant defenders of the strongpoint. You also control the key leaders throughout the Soviet 62nd Army that made the defense of Pavlov’s House possible.

Object of the Game

The goal of Pavlov’s House is to last until the defenders of Pavlov’s House are tasked with storming a key German strongpoint during the Battle of Stalingrad. In the game, this is depicted by playing through a deck of cards representing elements of the German 6th Army.

Pavlov’s House is divided into turns. Each turn consists of the following:

• Soviet Card Phase: Take three actions with Soviet cards

• Wehrmacht Card Phase: Play three Wehrmacht cards

• Soviet Counter Phase: Take three actions with Soviet counters

The Game Board The game board depicts three different views of the Stalingrad battleground. On the left side of the board is a view inside of Pavlov’s House. This portion of the board is used for tactical-level movement of the Soviet counters. In the middle of the board is a view of the area immediately surrounding Pavlov’s House (primarily 9 January Square). This portion of the board is used for tracking Wehrmacht counters as well as the deployment of sappers in the defense of Pavlov’s House. On the right side of the board is a depiction of the Volga River and operational-level elements of the Soviet 62nd Army, which were critical in the defense of Pavlov’s House. The colored square areas on the Pavlov’s House section of the board are combat positions used by the Soviet counters. The colored circle areas on the 9 January Square section of the board are where Wehrmacht counters are placed and advance towards Pavlov’s House.

I just fired up the VASSAL module and have completed the Soviet Card Phase. I made a draw of four cards and chose the 13th Guards Rifle Division Command Post option on three cards and will discard the last card. Note that on each card, you can chose one of the two actions displayer; I used the three cards to send a buttload of reinforcements to the Reserves box! The thinking behind that? None. I probably should have used a place artillery action, but I have no idea what I am doing...remember? So, I am getting troops on the board, into the fortified building; and I'll hopefully get a chance to add artillery, sappers, etc. later. Now having done that, it strikes me that since I placed almost ALL the Soviets troops onboard, I am likely limiting choice of actions to choose from later, in the card draw. OK...so be it.

Pavlov's HouseMap.jpg
Soviet, Turn 1

Even at this stage, things are exciting....you can literally feel the claustrophobia everytime you peek at that foreboding apartment building!!!

More action planned over the holiday weekend.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Briefing Hut”