Playing through TOI Normandy Campaign solo

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Playing through TOI Normandy Campaign solo

Postby 50th » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm

I decided to familiarize myself with the campaign rules found in the TOI (Tide of Iron) expansion Normandy. I started with the first scenario, Omaha beach. This campaign follows the 29th infantry as they progress through Normandy. As you go from scenario to scenario, surviving troops get to advance from recruits to bronze medal, to silver medal, to medal of honor. Bronze medal troops get +1 cover and their cover cannot be reduced below zero. Silver medal squads get the same, plus an additional +1 against suppressive attacks. Medal of Honor squads get the same as silver plus they cannot be "pinned" by a suppressive attack. The only flaw I see in this system is that the 29th always start off with the same amount of squads, but at the end of each scenario, each squad that has at least two figures gets two more figures to put them back at full strength. (For this purpose, heavy weapons figures, like heavy machine gun and mortar figures, count as two). So some of your squads may begin the next scenario with one figure, which is probably realistic. The only problem I see with this system is that the Germans start with what survived the last battle plus any new troops listed in the scenario. So your German forces may dwindle over time. (That may also be realistic). I will see as I go along with this campaign.

This will be my first run through this campaign system. I am considering running it at an upcoming convention. Here is my photo of the set up of the first scenario:
Omaha Beach 1a.jpg
Omaha Beach

The hilltop on the left has a bunker and one squad is in the bunker, the other is on the hill beside the bunker. I'm sorry for the poor quality of the photo, I used my smartphone.
For the next scenario I'll use my digital camera and get a better shot. I try to set it up this weekend sometime.
Keep watching this thread!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Playing through TOI Normandy Campaign solo

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Sorry I missed this one, Ron....great write up!

I never thought of building troop veteran experience based on medals earned. Interesting. I'd like to hear your thoughts on how this has been playing out.

The Germans just suffering constant attrition is something I'm not sure I would be happy with. Granted, the Normandy invasion was a relative surprise, but a vast amount of the troops were top notch men.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”