Skirmish scenario: Defend the bowling alley!

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Skirmish scenario: Defend the bowling alley!

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:07 am

Here's my latest gaming table, which I'm excited about. This is an area I drive by frequently, on the outskirts of my town. You can get a lot more detail on Google Maps in areas like North America and Europe, which allows you to get in close enough to play games in which one unit equals one person.

Wargames table.jpg

So in this scenario I'll be in charge of a red militia team consisting of 3 riflemen (including the leader), a grenade launcher, and a SAW trooper in addition to an armored Humvee with an MG. I have to assign the GL and SAW to the two large buildings (including a bowling alley being used as a headquarters), and they can't leave. They have to keep the blue government team from taking those buildings.

The blue team also has 3 riflemen (including a leader) as well as a GL and two anti-tank troops with LAWs. They're part of a larger force, but their timing was off and they're attacking without support, unbeknownst to them. They will deploy from the south edge on turn 1 and will try to take over those buildings in 15 turns. They have the option to retreat and be replaced by an identical force at full strength. They also have initiative every turn, since this is a surprise attack from the woods off to the south.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: Skirmish scenario: Defend the bowling alley!

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:52 pm

It begins! The team leader on the blue side takes another rifleman with him into one of the smaller buildings on the south side. Sneaky! I decide to keep all my red guys and the Humvee where they are for now. So that ends turn 1, with only 2 blue guys deployed.

end turn 1.jpg
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:55 pm

In turn 2, blue was only able to move 1 guy with the grenade launcher (yeah, my Aw Frik rules can be cruel that way). I passed again, so turn 2 ends with 3 blues in the small building.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Turn 3, and the shooting starts! Blue's team of 3 took my SAW trooper in the bowling alley by surprise and inflicted some damage. He shot back and hurt their leader, but my GL in the other building was too far away to be of any help.

So my SAW guy got away from the windows while I moved my Humvee into firing position and fired on their other rifleman. Gave them a good scare, but then he rallied and was fine. The turn ended with the 3 blues in cover but in LoS of the MG of my Humvee.

The little numbers on the units are "friktion points" (hence the Aw Frik rules), which indicate the sum of all negative effects including damage, fear, and fatigue. It's a very simple system.

end turn 3.jpg

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:57 pm

Turn 4, and here comes an anti-tank weapon. Blue deployed their LAW man in cover and he got off a shot, but the damage was small. Blue spent an activation moving their leader away from the windows, and that's all they got done.

My Humvee returned fire at the LAW guy with the MG and caused some friction, and then my GL guy in the other building lobbed a grenade a full 2 feet across the table and caused more friction.

But then I decided to move my leader into a cover position to help keep the blues out of the bowling alley, and I got some wicked interference from opportunity fire by their rifleman and GL guy in the small building. By the time I tried to fire back, I had too much friction to be accurate at all.

So the turn ended like this:

end turn 4.jpg

That's all for today, my friends, but there are 11 turns to go! Tune in next time!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:43 pm

Turn 5 was very short. Blue team moved their GL from the small building to just inside the bowling alley, where he was still visible by the Humvee. He launched a grenade across the cavernous room at the red SAW guy, who quickly shook off the effects and returned fire. The GL was hit but not badly, and he rallied thanks to his leader being close by in the southern building.

end turn 5.jpg

Each side only got one action in this turn, but it was some nice action! Blue team now has a man in one of the objective buildings, and they still have two guys they haven't even deployed yet!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 pm

Plenty of action in turn 6, as both sides got all possible activations. In the bowling alley, the GL on the blue team fired again at the red SAW guy and received a bonus friktion point for not moving. The SAW dude was not feeling ok, but then his teammate, who had been readying himself north of the building, finally barged in and got a shot off in support. Unfortunately, it was a pretty poor shot.

Outside, the blue LAW guy fired another round at the Humvee without moving, but it wasn't a great shot. But they got smart and had one of the riflemen fire too, at close range from inside the small building, and the double whammy did a little more damage on the Humvee.

I got smart, too, and had both my Humvee gunner and my team leader fire at the LAW guy without moving, which finally put a stop to his antics.

end turn 6.jpg

I realized over the weekend that the only way to really stop someone in this game is to fire with multiple units, similar to Tank on Tank. And also similar to that game, it helps to focus on the leader units as targets. I designed the game that way.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Things continued to get interesting in turn 7. Blue had their rifleman in the small building fire at my leader, who got some friction but then rallied.

That rifleman was covering his leader, who took the opportunity to move from the small building to a doorway of the bowling alley. Unfortunately for their leader, my SAW guy spotted him as he entered and sprayed bullets in his general direction.

After blue failed to get a 3rd activation, my gunner in the Humvee then also fired at blue leader, so he now had quite a bit of friction as he stood in the doorway of the bowling alley. That turned out to be my only activation of the turn, but it was very effective.

With my rules, if a leader gets a certain amount of friction, units in command range (including the leader unit itself) keep all the friction they sustained that turn unless they happen to rally on their own. So now it's going to be much harder for blue to pick up and keep going, which means the tide has now taken an important turn.

end turn 7.jpg

Per the scenario rules, blue has the option to remove all its units and start over, but we're halfway through the game turns now, so it's a critical junction for the blue team. Good thing for them that they still have another LAW guy and another rifleman that haven't even entered the table yet.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 pm

The blue team tried to pick up the pace in turn 8 by moving a third guy from the small building into the bowling alley, but it went very badly for them as both my SAW guy and my MG gunner were able to opportunity fire and tore him a new one. [EDIT: I looked back at this and realized that the MG shouldn't have opportunity fired here because its target had already been in LoS through the window of the small building. Oops.] Blue only got the 1 activation this turn, and after all that opp fire, I only needed the 2 activations that I received before I ran out of guys who could fire. I used my activations to fire at the GL and LAW guys again, and even though the LAW rallied, he had so much friction that he was effectively neutralized.

end turn 8.jpg

So that tactic didn't work so well for the blue team. It may be too late to get the rest of their team on the table because what they have on the table now is so damaged. They may need to use their do-over option and go for broke.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:18 pm

Very interesting turn 9 as the blue team disengaged and let a fresh team start from scratch. Only 7 turns left to try and take both objective buildings against all odds.

Blue got 3 activations and deployed 3 men beside the small building instead of going through it. Speed is of the essence now, and they need to get as many guys into the bowling alley as fast as they can.

I decided to take the fight right to them and drove the Humvee right in front of them to block their progress. They failed to opportunity fire, and I blasted their leader with the MG. They had no cover. Then I moved my SAW guy in the bowling alley over to that side so he could fire from the windows...but he couldn't get far enough to get LoS because I left my Humvee in his way! D'oh! Lesson learned. I didn't get a 3rd activation, so that ended the turn.

end turn 9.jpg

My guys in the Humvee are in a very vulnerable spot now, but things still look kind of hopeless for the blue team since they have so much to do in so little time. Could be interesting!

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”