SCOTT PLAYS A WWII GAME

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Re: SCOTT PLAYS A WWII GAME

Postby josta59 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:27 am

Do you think the MGs can sink any of them? Maybe just the troop carriers?
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Answers haven't been easy to come by, but I think the most satisfying answer for this scenario will be that the Japanese MG placements won't be able to sink any of the boats. So for the Marines it will just be a matter of getting to the beach and beyond once they land. But this changes everything for the Japanese, who will be better off staying behind the crest of the hill until they have a valid target. So I'll have to start over.

Thanks for keeping this interesting, Luca. ;)
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:02 pm

I went ahead and played this game out. Took a long time with so many units, even with my very fast rules. The Marines were able to clear the hills, but it was a lot of work--probably two dozen turns--and the end was never sure until the men who took the north hill rode tanks to the south hill to reinforce the men there. It was a pretty epic battle, and it convinced me for all time that I've created the best wargame ever...at least for my tastes, heheh.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:04 pm

josta59 wrote:
Lucky Luke wrote:Any support weapons available (navy heavy guns barrage, air support, minefields, wire...)?

Good question. Think I'll keep it simple this time, to show the game mechanics, and to keep it easy for me since there are a lot of units in this one.

I've actually never played a game with a mine field, so I have no thoughts on mechanics for such a thing right now. Maybe my Minesweeper skills would come in handy. LOL, imagine a wargame that incorporates Minesweeper.

Sorry I'm just getting to these great solo games of yours, Scott. Just for your peace of mind, for myself....you've actually inspired me to think out of the WWII-box, and am finding your more Modern-war slant quite interesting.

I think so many of us Old-school Grogheads grew up an cut our teeth on WWII wargames that its just our Go To format; and we are many :lol: ....but that said, that's what I love about members like you (not to mention being an outstanding Moderator, too! :) )....you gently nudge us out of our comfort zone!

Now on topic to the quoted posts....

This type battle....Japanese in hills...they were much like the Vietcong in caves; and the japanese probably took it to epic proportions in comparison. "Softening up" the LZs helpd a little, but generally, the Japanese were so well concealed and in deep cave cover that the US navy probably felt that they did little more than throw coconuts!

I'll get deeper into this later....you've burned me out with the other treads (God bless you!) :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks for the very kind words! I look forward to anything else you want to add about this scenario.

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”