Band of Heroes: Rescue at Conde (Emery)

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Band of Heroes: Rescue at Conde (Emery)

Postby Whiterook » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:26 pm

This is a solitaire game of Band of Heroes...follow along as I play this all infantry/paratroop scenario I cooked up for a re-entry into the system. It's been a very long time since I played so, here's an all Infantry game:

Elements of the 82nd Airborne are dropped to the west of the town of Conde, France, on D+8. US Army Colonel Jonathan Spears was captured three days prior and brought to the town's administrative offices of Conde for interrogation. Unknown to the Germans, Col. Spears was actually part of an advance commando unit with deep secrets to the Breakout, and a mission of linking up with the Canadians in Caen with vital instructions...but bad luck saw his squad cut down in ambush and Spears captured.

MISSION:
Rescue or eliminate Col. Spears before his secrets are discovered. Col. Spears is being held in Town Hex D4.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
82nd: Clear Hex D4 and retrieve Col. Spears, and exit off-map at Hex B1 North
Germans: Eliminate all 82nd Airborne troopers or force surrender.

Special Rules:
1. 82nd forces can only enter Hex D4 on a roll of <2
2. When reduced to <3 Squads/half Squads; surrender on a roll of <2 (Roll at Initiative Phase)

This is our map for Turn 1....

Turn 1.jpg

NOTE: I will show a picture with the Move/Combat --- then with Admin Markers for an Impulse; then the next impulses same --- then the end of the Administrative Phase
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Band of Heroes: Rescue at Conde

Postby Whiterook » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Note that I haven't played this game in a long while, and haven't played it much in general, so I am self-confessing my status as a realtive Newbie to the system. What that means is, I'm probably going to get some stuff wrong :shock: also, this gae had previously made it to game 5 or 6, but I'd thrown in a home-rule that rippled into problems....so....a new game from scratch! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:35 pm

OK, I can't remember if the Leaders give any kind of moving bonus to MMC's, as is a 6MF allowing a 4MF MMC to move 6. I don't think so, therefore:

Turn 1

Americans win Initiative.

No Rally needed.

:arrow: Capt Moore and his two Squads (one with BAR) move North up and off road into the Wheat Field L2; 2 Squads adjacent follow and move into Wooden Building M1; and the other 2 Adjacent Squads follow and move to Clear hex M2. The strategy is to head for a Northern Flank, while Lt. Clarkson and men move south...Pincer.

1a.jpg

1aa.jpg

Germans had no LOS so, they stay put with no conceivable actions required. Back the the Americans...

:arrow: Lt. Clarkson moves with his two Squads (one with BAR) down the road, West, to Road hex K7; and the other two Squads right behind into Road hex L7.

1b.jpg

1bb.jpg

Germans have no reasons (yet) to think anythings afoot so stay put; Americans are all Ops Complete and three passes ensue, which ends Operations Phase. Admin cleans up counters.....

1cEND.jpg

End Turn 1

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:39 pm

And as quickly as it begins, I break fr Hockey!!!!! In the meantime...any warriors online....would you have taken a different tactic?

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:05 am

Whiterook wrote:And as quickly as it begins, I break fr Hockey!!!!! In the meantime...any warriors online....would you have taken a different tactic?

I don't know the system but I have some questions:
(1) there are some type of "opportunity fire" to cover an enemy movement line ?
(2) what is the the south group future fire position? [my curiosity, not a tactical issue...]

Vs. a larger force I think it's best to concentrate fire on the same target achieving local superiority using the terrain to have LOS to as few as possible enemy units...and therefore risking a smaller enemy fire.
In the meantime if (1) is true you should "block" the movement of enemy units and preventing a reinforce of targeted enemy position(s).....

And if you took them asleep and/or drunk is better!!! :mrgreen:
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Yes, there's two types of opportunity Fire that can develop:

A. Units not marked as Moved; Low Crawl (which is a 1-hex move to avoid being automatically spotted, unless in clear trrain, or adjacent to an enemy); Stealth movement (which you need a yellow box around your Movement factor, which can move half their Movement Points and subsequently fire...not automatically spotted...can't double-time, and has special adjacency restrictions); or marked as having Fired:

Can fire on an enemy that expended at least 1 MP other than Low Crawl (...they have to be spotted). It is not considered an Impulse (each player has an impulse at activating a hex (or group of hexes adjacent to a leader, activated by the leader). Moving units can't be fired on more than once per MP expended...unless by a Support Weapon, which can fire seperately from a unit.

Op Fire is conducted like normal combat, except there's a +1 Fire @ Moving Target Bonus to the Enemy's dieroll (except for Low Crawl) for their fire at you.

B. MMC's (MultiMan Counters) under an Operation Complete marker can also Op Fire! MMC's, Machineguns & Flamethrowers do so at 1/2 FP; Support Weapons on vehicles do so at 1/2 FP, and SW/ordance that use the Ordance Fire Table (OFT) get a +2 DRM To Hit Penalty

However, here's a kicker: A uit under an Ops Complete marker may Fire at FULL FP, ifit's during the same impules it Spotted the target!!! Leaders can also add their modifier to the 1d6 roll, but only if directed against a hex that the leader Spotted during the current Impulse. The reasonng here was to allow units to Full FP at an enemy hex that it Spotted, as it would have been focussing on that area anyway. :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:30 pm

To your second question....

My main problem is all those buidlings in a line(-ish): Though they cover my approach, LOS blockage goes both ways. There is no way to get a good LOS Firing Angle from a distant position at my max range...the best opportunities being the one thorougfare (hexes H3, G3, F4, E4, from Building I2; Stone Building hex G1 to the north; and Stone Building hex I5 to the south. Hexes H4 & G4 have Stone Walls blocking LOS badly, as do the cliuster or Wooden Buildings in hexes G6/7 & F7. Put on top of that, most Germans are in superb cover currently (hungover or not :lol: ).

Group South is heading for the Stone Building Church in Hexes I5/6. Their main role is to cut down anything crossing the 5 lane! ...and hopefully take out the Germans that I am sure will open up with Op Fire from F5 when the Americans move into that Church!!!

Group North are heading for Stone Building hex G1 and Wooden Building hex I2 for crossfire action.

Hopefully, Group South can kill some Germans and interupt Sgt Baumann; then swing North to the objective as for concentration fire. This is not going to be a cakewalk for them.

Group North will secure the objective and cover fire for Clarkson's team in order to get off the map at the VC extraction zone.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Turn 2

American Initiative; No Rally's necessary.

Impulse 1...
:arrow: Capt. Moore and his two Squads work their way through the Wheat Field and hop the hedge into Hexes J2.

:arrow: Moore also had two 2-Squads move through the Wheat Field and hop the hedge into hex K2; and the second group from M1 scurries North to hex I0

2a.jpg

2aa.jpg

Impulse 2...
Americans are totally in cover still, so no German action (their just waking up for the new day, oblivious to the American threat!).

Impulse 3...
:arrow: Lt. Clarkson and his two Squads hop the Stone Wall into hex K6 and move into the Cemetary

:arrow: Clarkson also has the other two Squads accompanying him move up the road into Road hex J7.

2b.jpg

2bb.jpg

Impulse 4...
Americans are totally in cover still, so no German action.

Subsequent Impulses - PASS

2cEND.jpg

End Turn 2

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:00 pm

Turn 3

German initiative. No Rally necessary.

Impulse 1...

:arrow: German Squad in hex B7 moves out of Light Woods into Wooden Building hex C6 for some breakfast! I figure they finished their patrol of the woods and look 'busy' to grouchy Sgt. Baumann!

Impulse 2...

:arrow: Lt. Clarkson orders the 2-adjacent Squads to Low Crawl into the church, hex I6. Since Spotting in the case of a unit not previously seen, and now entering a building to the LOS of an enemy on the other side...Spotting is at the purely a decision of the enemy player. Since this is solitaire, I really wrestled with this: I could roll for awareness (1-3 Spotting attempt.4-6 no attempt); but in a 2-Playe game, if I were the Germans and I saw my opponent move in there, I'd say, "Hell, Yeah...Spotting Attempt!!!!" To me, it still comes back to he fact that at this stage, the Germans still have no idea the Americans are even in the area, so, no Spotting Attempt.

Impulse 3...

:arrow: German have no reason to move.

Impulse 4...

:arrow: Lt. Clarkson and his 2-Squads to Low Crawl into the church, hex I5.

Impulse 5...

Impulse 6...

:arrow: Capt. Moore orders the 2-adjacent Squads to Low Crawl into the Stone Building, hex J3.

Impulse 7...

Impulse 8...

:arrow: Capt. Moore and his 2-Squads to Low Crawl into the Stone Building, hex I2.

Impulse 9...

Impulse 10...

:arrow: 2-American Squads in I0 more into Stone Building G1, with regular movement, so....

:arrow: German Squad in Wooden Building hex F3 Spotted movement and fires (the Americans spent 2 MFs to enter the building, so this is one of two eligible Fires). GE: 1FP + 5dr + 1 Moving Target Bonus (MTB) = 7; AM: 1 + 4 TEM = 5; DAMAGE CHECKS: 4dr + 2 diff. = 6, MISS; 5dr + 2 diff. = 7, SHAKEN. OUCH :shock:

This may not have been a good idea! :roll:

:arrow: 3-German Squads in Heavy Woods hex C3 (SuuuuuurrrPrise!!!!) also Spotted movement and fires (the Americans spent 2 MFs to enter the building, so this is two of two eligible Fires). GE: 2FP (full FP for lead firer, and 1/2 for the other two Squads) + 5dr + 1 Moving Target Bonus (MTB) = 8; AM: 3 + 4 TEM = 7; DAMAGE CHECKS: 3dr + 1 diff. = 4, MISS, 1dr + 1 diff. = 2, MISS. PHEW! :oops:

:arrow: Germans have no reason to do anything, and the Americans are out of steam for this turn!

SitRep map to this point....

3a.jpg

Admin Phase....

3b.jpg

End Turn 3

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Turn 4

American Initiative. Rally Phase: No leader with the American Squad, so no Rally.

Initiative 1...

:arrow: American Squad and Shaken squad retreat to hex I0.

Initiative 2...

:arrow: The German in Wooden Building F3 now knows something is afoot and move into Wooden Building adjacent, heading for hex D4 where Spears is held, alone in the building; but the two American Squads in J3 Spot the Germans as they moved into Stone Building hex E3 and open fire with Opportunity Fire...

AM: 3FP (FG 2+1) + 5dr + 1 Moving Target Bonus (MTB) = 9; GE: 1 + 3 TEM = 4; DAMAGE CHECKS: 4dr + 5 diff. = 9, SHAKEN; 4dr + 5 diff. = 9, SHAKEN. :o The moving German Squad must stop short of their intended move hex' the other poor bastards are Shaken in place at the moment.

Turn 4a.jpg

Initiative 3...

The Americans move next but I need to check on the rules for: If an Assault Move unit moves in LOS of an enemy, who shoots first...the Assaulting Unit or the Op Fire units? The conundrum here being: If American Capt. Moore and company in Hex I2, want to Assault Move into Stone Building Hex G1, to subsequently Fire on the Germans in Heavy Woods Hex C3; the Germans in C3 can obviously (?) Opportunity Fire on the Assaulting Americans in G1: Who fires first? ...and does any resultant damage affect return fire (e.g., If Americans Shake the Germans, will that mean they CAN'T Fire back? ...or is Fire considered simultaneous, therefore,Fire and THEN apply Shaken result?).

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”