New Memoir 44 Scenario Solo Game

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Memoir 44 Scenario Solo Game

Postby 50th » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm

I've been working on a new Memoir 44 Scenario from the Russo-Finnish Winter War. I began to look around at published scenarios and wondered where is there an absence? I found that although there were a few scenarios from these battles, they were in no way overdone. I decided to do some research on battles to pick one to do. I first decided to do the battle around the village of Suomussalmi. But there is at least one "official" scenario of this battle. So I looked at a smaller battle that is actually part of the Battle of Suomussalmi, the Raate Road Battle. I began to research the weapons used in the battle and discovered that the Finns not only had light machine guns, but they had heavy machine guns mounted on sleds that were pulled by vehicles or horses. The Finns also had mortars too, and these included Finnish made 81mm mortars, hundreds of captured Soviet 50mm mortars, and they had Italian light 45mm Brixia Model 35 mortars. Next that opened a can of worms as far as rules are concerned. You see, ski troops shoot at 3-2, while mortars shoot at 3-2-1 for early war mortars, and 3-2-1-1 for late war mortars that didn't move before they shot. So, seeing that the rules for SWA says that they shoot like the unit they are attached to, meant that they would shoot 3-2. There was some discussion on the DoW site about which mortar rules to use, early war or late war, I decided that being that these battles took place in 1940, this would be early war. Some made the case that many Finnish weapons were set up on sleds ready to fire, but I believe that a mortar would still have to be sighted in or zeroed in somehow. This would determine whether a ski troop could move and fire or not in the same turn. I decided no, use the early war rules as written, they move or fire. Here is a picture of the second or third turn:

The Russians won this 6-4 and this picture shows the conclusion: the two units with dice, armor and artillery, are the units that fired. The mortar SWA figure has already been removed and the ski troop is laying on it's side to show it is destroyed:

"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Memoir 44 Scenario Solo Game

Postby 50th » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:30 pm

I played this scenario again as the Finns last night and won. Here is a photo from that game:

[couldn't get image to work, even though it is less than 800 wide by 600 tall]

Once I was happy with the playability of the scenario and made some editing changes to the write up, I released it to be public. It can be downloaded here:

[Winter War] Battle of Raate Road.pdf
The Battle of Raate Road
(3.9 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:23 pm

I love that Winter board...I've not played on it yet. did you paint up the Germans in white camo, or is that part of a new set?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:40 pm

Whiterook wrote:I love that Winter board...I've not played on it yet. did you paint up the Germans in white camo, or is that part of a new set?

I painted the Finns from the Expansion Pack (set of 186 miniatures for Memoir 44)

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:37 pm

That's brilliant! I love the white Winter camo on them. I think it really highlights the game much better, for Winter war.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”