Memoir '44: The Hedgerow Beach Solo Play

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Memoir '44: The Hedgerow Beach Solo Play

Postby 50th » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:28 pm

Last night, I decided to solo play one of the scenarios from the second volume of the Campaign Book. I picked Hedgerow Beach, pages 98 & 99. When I play Memoir 44 solo, I roll for which card to play for the "other" side. For example, if that side has five cards, then I lay out the cards as such:
1 2 3 4 5 Cards
1 2 3-4 5 6 Roll to play card

Here is the map:

I was playing the Allies, but got a good roll as Germans, which was followed up by two poor rolls for the Allies!
Artillery shoots at Mobile Artillery:
(Wouldn't you know it, two grenades and my mobile arty is gone!)

Two Infantry shoots at the Anti-Tank SWA Infantry:
The SWA Infantry had three figures, and loses two.

Although I got some good rolls for each side, and some rotten rolls, the Allies won 11/7!
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Hedgerow Beach Solo Play

Postby Whiterook » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:47 pm

That's an interesting method for random selection of playing card. When I play M44 solo...which is 99% of the time! ...I just choose the card that makes the most sense. I find it challenging to play the card that my head dictates, and not my gut. However, you're method is definitely a little more Fog of War!

BTW...second edition of the Campaign Book? I've got to keep up with this stuff :lol:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Hedgerow Beach Solo Play

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Playing a solo game is very difficult to do without unconsciously favouring one side but the random draw system you have described goes a long way towards evening that out. Great idea.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Memoir '44: The Hedgerow Beach Solo Play

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Early on, I had that problem, of "favoring" a side....but over time, I developed a Cold-Blooded Switch that forces my mind to look at the battle at the moment and make the best decision for that side, at that time...

Flip the switch....

Repeat with the other side, determining to make the best decision that would have been available to that side in that moment.

I can't explain it but, it really made a difference for me :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Memoir '44: The Hedgerow Beach Solo Play

Postby 50th » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:37 pm

I really like the random card selection method. When the "other" side draws an ambush card, I just discard it and draw a different card. You could take it and just play it as soon as the situation presents itself. I also have a random objective chart. When you use this chart, you disregard the victory objectives in the scenario, instead you roll on this chart and go with the objective rolled.
(em, I couldn't upload the file, when I pressed the "browse" button, nothing happened)
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”