Looking for input: What modern setting would you like to see a game in?

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Looking for input: What modern setting would you like to see a game in?

Postby josta59 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:47 am

Hi guys,

I'm trying to post something every day, and so far today seems a little quiet around here, so how about this. I've been thinking about making my solo games on Google Earth satellite photos a little more exciting for myself by playing them in more well-known places. Lately I've been creating scenarios around the town where I live, which has been fun for me. But let's go a little bigger, eh?

A couple of thoughts on places I want to create scenarios include Niagara Falls and JFK airport (the runways, since it's hard to play a game inside the airport using satellite photos..and besides, the photos have lots of planes on them! What fun!).

airport.jpg
Yep, I may have a gaming table that looks like this in the next year or so.

So I want to give you guys an opportunity to tell me where in the world you'd like to see me play a game. It can be any scale (my rules are cool that way). But it has to be on Earth (LOL), and it probably shouldn't be a time much longer than half a century ago, since obviously I only have access to what's on Google Earth right now (I've done some games set in villages in 1980s Germany using modern photos, and it's no big deal).

So where would you like to see a game played out using ultra-realistic, incredibly accurate terrain (that you can only view from straight up)? :lol:
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for input: What modern setting would you like to see a game in?

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Screwing around with the hydro-electric facilities around Niagra might be interesting...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:29 pm

Since the middle east is always a hotbed, I think the middle east could be the setting for many battles. For another choice, North Korea, I used to have a video game set in North Korea where the son of the President took his father captive and took his place and intimidated his enemies (gee, kinda sounds close to now).
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:58 pm

Actually, I'd love to see an airport scenario...but one that involves not only the Tarmac areas, but the terminal and tower Interior's, too! ...not sure if there are maps of the towers, though (security and all). I say all this because I loved the second Die Hard movie (I think that was the airport one)!!! Maybe an airport in a more under-developed nation, like in Africa.

I must say I am embarrassed to ask this...and too lazy to look :shock: :lol: , but do you have a tutorial on how you do these games? I mean on the computer work to generat a ballet, including import of battleground images and pieces, especially.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I'd love that, too! Just not sure how to do it.

My virtual tables are very simple to make. Once I've chosen an image from Google Maps, I take a screenshot in PowerPoint and size it to match the size of a slide. Then I save that as a bitmap image and use that image as the background of a new slide. Voila, instant gaming table.

Then I use simple shapes to make counters, and I label them with text boxes, grouping them with the shapes so I can move them together easily.

In the past I've used top-down images from juniorgeneral.org to make counters, but that takes more time and effort. Also, it's harder to see a counter in camouflage colors, which slows me down when I'm playing a game, LOL!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:42 pm

josta59 wrote:I'd love that, too! Just not sure how to do it.

My virtual tables are very simple to make. Once I've chosen an image from Google Maps, I take a screenshot in PowerPoint and size it to match the size of a slide. Then I save that as a bitmap image and use that image as the background of a new slide. Voila, instant gaming table.

Then I use simple shapes to make counters, and I label them with text boxes, grouping them with the shapes so I can move them together easily.

In the past I've used top-down images from juniorgeneral.org to make counters, but that takes more time and effort. Also, it's harder to see a counter in camouflage colors, which slows me down when I'm playing a game, LOL!

WOW! ...awesome! So, do you play the game (move by move) all on PowerPoint? ...as in, Using the 'duplicate slide' function; and then playing the next round on the new slide? My brain isn't capturing if the shapes (counters) on the duplicate slide are movable...I think they are.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm

I just use the one slide with the image of the terrain as the background. And yes, I play the game using PowerPoint, simply moving the counters around the same way I'd move figures on a real table.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:12 pm

josta59 wrote:I just use the one slide with the image of the terrain as the background. And yes, I play the game using PowerPoint, simply moving the counters around the same way I'd move figures on a real table.

Well, I think you just invented the Poor Man's VASSAL! :lol: :D

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Heh. I've been doing this way for years.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:39 pm

josta59 wrote:Heh. I've been doing this way for years.

Yeah....that's something called, 'Pioneer'. Wear it well, young man!

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”