Platoon-size scenario: Over the River and Through the Fire!

Solo-Play Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Platoon-size scenario: Over the River and Through the Fire!

Postby josta59 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:09 pm

Wouldn't you love to play on a game table that looks like this?

wargame table.jpg

Big table with not a lot of units, but that gives me lots of space to play in. This time I'm the blue guys on the west end, waiting to cross a river into the neighborhood held by the red guys. One unit = one fire team or support team. Each side has identical units, including 4 infantry fire teams, a mortar team, and a SAW team. And each side has the same objective, to take and hold the central building on the east end.

The differences between sides are that I go first every turn, but I can't fire at all in the first turn when LoS is achieved because I'm patrolling and not ready to fight.

For this scenario, I might make use of my unique rule that says I can move a unit twice if I'm willing to let it take on some friction, which would obviously put it at a disadvantage. It might be a sprint to the finish!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Platoon-size scenario: Over the River and Through the Fire!

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Interesting! So, you're in the woods and the reds are most likely going to try and flank attack you are worst, and cut you off at best?

It looks like you can enter and use buildings for cover? Do you have rules for firing through windows, and thereby having limited exposure to enemy LOS/fire?

Which ruleset are you using?
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm

If I actually get around to playing this scenario, I'll be using my new Aw Frik rules, which I've posted elsewhere on the forum. They don't include building rules, but yes, I have very simple, abstract building rules that I've used for years.

Basically, the whole perimeter of a building is both a door and a window. Entry/exit subtracts 2" of movement. Targets inside a building and away from the perimeter are out of LoS for a shooter outside the building. Targets inside a building are always in hard cover (even if a shooter in the same building is right next to them).

It gets weird sometimes, like in my bowling alley scenario that had several people in one big building. A building that shouldn't have much hard cover inside because it's a bowling alley. And boy, did it have a lot of doors and windows for a bowling alley! But it worked ok. Should work really well for this table with lots of little houses.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:37 pm

It begins! In turn 1 I moved 1 of my 2 blue squads (containing 2 fireteams) as far as it could go along the roads, running and incurring a little friction as it went. That was all I was able to do this turn.

The red side had deployed half of its units in the cul de sac at the end of Lantern Drive, and from there it moved 1 of its squads offroad to the south, running and trying to head my squad off at the pass. It didn't reach LoS.

They got a 3rd activation and moved their SAW trooper rapidly south along the main road and then off into cover next to a house, in LoS of the squad I'd moved and at close range. I couldn't opportunity fire because it's against the rules of this scenario for me to fire in the first turn when LoS is achieved. The SAW guy opened fire and tore up one of my fireteams.

scen 12_end turn 1.jpg

I gave random special abilities to all the fireteams on this table. I should've used my squad's "adapter" ability to move out of the way during the SAW guy's activation. But I forgot. Those special abilities can be so hard to remember, even when I'm using very simple rules! :roll: I absolutely have to remember that going forward, because it's a huge advantage for me since I have so many houses I can duck behind.

And now that LoS is achieved, both sides can start firing mortars, so this should get fun!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Ah man, that SAW is breathing down your neck (I was going to use another anatoical comaprrison but, I'm trying to behave :lol: ). Nothing like starting a game off with both sides so agressive. That may be one of the things I admire about your games/scenarios is, they jump right into action. In most wargames I play, I am more used to some maneuvering beforehand...this is a cool change of pace.

I hear you on keeping track of special abilities...I face the same quite often, as you well know from some of the games I've GMed :lol: :shock: .....

One possible strategy is if you come up with a one page log where you can annotated special abilities assigned and check off as you go. Many games use those, but alas, I usually do not avail myself of those :o :)
'Rommel...you Magnificent Bastard...I read your book!" - Gen. Patton

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:07 pm

That could work...but this particular ability only works during enemy activations. So I have to keep it in mind every time an enemy moves in LoS, just like opp fire.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:28 am

Very exciting turn 2 as both sides received all 3 activations and got really busy!

One of my blue fireteams in the middle of Lakeview Drive was too injured to move, thanks to the SAW attack in turn 1. Their partner team returned fire at the red SAW team while moving to a cover position. They managed to inflict some damage as they moved.

Then I moved my own SAW team into a supporting position from cover. Unfortunately, my SAW was overwhelmed by opportunity fire. Fortunately, most of it was long-range, from the red leader squad at the intersection of Lantern Drive and Cherry Street. But some of it was from their SAW team at much closer range, so my SAW team did take considerable damage while returning fire at their SAW, and both SAW teams were getting worn out.

But my purpose in moving my SAW there was two-fold, because now I had the LoS to allow my mortar team to fire at their leader squad, doing damage to both their fireteams.

While all that was going on, a red fireteam hiding in the east moved rapidly westward to a cover position. This time I remembered to use my B squad's adapter ability to move my healthy team into hiding. So the red team fired on my injured team instead, but not before my injured team inflicted some good opportunity fire on them. The red team's attack wasn't very effective, anyway. But their movement left them in a position that looks pretty dangerous for my side. And they also rallied.

And then their mortar fired at my SAW team, causing it even more damage. Luckily it was still just within the leader bonus range, so some friction was subtracted at the end of the turn.

The red guys left their other fireteam in the east as a stopgap in case I got moving quickly again. So their last action was just to move one of their teams in the north a little bit southward. I still hadn't moved half my units yet. At least my leader squad was safe for now.

scen 12_end turn 2.jpg
Very slow progress!

They're definitely not making this easy for me. Rather than racing me to the objective, they're making it hard for me to move at all, which is making this a cooler scenario than I was expecting. Looks like I titled this thread correctly. It's time for me to bring in the rest of my force and find a way to sneak through. Maybe I can keep them busy with the guys I have out there now.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 pm

Turn 3 was interesting as I decided to have my healthy blue fireteam leave their injured comrades behind and move on toward the objective, double-time. I moved them along the south edge of the pond to keep them out of sight. They incurred a little friction for moving so fast, but they rallied at the end of the turn.

I had my SAW team fire at the enemy SAW team again, this time without moving, and it was very effective. Those were the only activations I was able to get, so I still didn't move the other half of my force past the river.

The red side moved their fireteam in the east, which they'd left in waiting, into an assault on my blue team. I managed to achieve opportunity fire, but my attack roll was very bad. But I then used the adapter ability to keep them moving out of LoS, so at least they didn't incur any injuries. They still had a long march to the objective building on the east end of the table, and now they'd have an enemy team dogging them along the way.

Red then had their mortar team fire at my SAW team again, which did more damage, but then my SAW team rallied and was still in leader bonus range, so they weren't as bad as they could've been at the end of the turn.

Finally, rather than having their fireteam south of Lakeview Drive fire at my injured team again, they used their 3rd activation to move their leader team southward to relieve some of the massive friction their SAW team had suffered. They'd really like to have their SAW back in action.

scen 12_end turn 3.jpg

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:34 am

At this point there will be a random event: sudden changes to my copy of the Aw Frik rules! As this game has gone along, I've realized a few improvements that could be made. Eventually I'll release a 2nd version to the public (obviously it's so in demand :lol: ), but I decided to go ahead and implement them in the middle of my game because I think it will work that much better. And I wanted a random event anyway, and this just made sense.

My wife and kid are at the doctor, so I'm watching our 3-yr-old as I work and don't currently have access to the rules, which I house on an external drive rather than my work laptop. But I know that several of the changes decrease the ease with which my adapter squad is able to hide. It's really too easy, especially compared to some of the other unit abilities that would be used more sparingly and have less impactful effects. And they get to opp fire before they hide, which is really too much. So my adapter team's fun times are about to end.

The other change that I remember is that double-time moves will incur 3 FPs rather than just 2. Not only does this make the decision to double-time that much tougher, but it's also easier to remember without looking at the rules, since so many FP effects are in 3s.

Return to “MWF Solitaire Wargames”