Whiterook's Model Building Workshop Renovations

General Discussions on all things Kit Building

Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whiterook's Model Building Workshop Renovations

Postby Whiterook » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 pm

I'm renovating my workshop. Time to step it up a notch!

I've been exploring the value of putting in a modular organization setup ....

DSC04006.JPG

...but the expense is so great with the few systems I see out there. The above drawing was one solution from Hobby Zone, but I'm having trouble justifying it.

Another option might be one of those shadow box-type units, where the painst sit on shelves in a wall mounted, flush box.

Still another might be something simple, like acrylic laminated shelves....

image.jpeg
http://www.azardisplays.com/productcart/pc/Clear-Acrylic-13-5-W-x-4-D-Shelf-for-PEGBOARD-and-SLATWALL-p2243.htm
image.jpeg (7.45 KiB) Viewed 704 times
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

McCoy

Re: Whiterook's Model Building Workshop Renovations

Postby McCoy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:03 pm

My take on modular solutions like this is that paint stands is like harddrives and tackle boxes, either new or full. And that's regardless on how much room you leave for new paints when you start building. The next problem is that various paint brands have different bottles/jars for their paint. So no matter what you prefer to paint with today could be a whole different brand a year down the line. My collection of paints is close to 750 different bottles/jars. Whenever I order something I tend to get som paint as well and that said I've tested a lot of different brands. Some that I like, some that I love, some that I've got just because a peticular colour and some that I absolutely hate to work with.

Now I don't have a dedicated man cave in my two room appartment at 61 square meters so I work in my living room and don't have any modular solutions. I keep my paints in square plastic cookie jars that hold about 40 Vallejo bottles or 25 Tammy jars. It's a solution that works for me.
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:20 pm

So, after plotting out what will A) truly work best for me; and B) take me into the future beyond retirement (not that far down the road, and who knows where)... I decided on working with what I've got, which included my wood tool chest, which actually is working very well, and look for an alternate paint holding alternative, as the spice tier unit just is not working that well. That tiered unit has decks that are too much depth and make for odd grabbing of paints, all while taking up significant room for little gain.

What I came across was, a Nail Polish Table Rack Display, by Beauticom!

DSC04027.JPG
Nail Polish Display

Made of acrylic, it has six tiers and fit Vallejo, AK Interactive, Model Master, and Humbrol paints fabulously! I found it on Amazon for $14.20 USD. I comes with two angled sides that nut & bolt to the sides of the stepped unit. Simple assembly doesn't get much more simple!

Here it is loaded up....

DSC04029.JPG
Beauticom display

What I did with my Tamiya and Citadel paints was, take a piece of vinyl siding material I kept from home renovations a couple years back, and place it on pegboard pegs....a temp solution while I use up the Tamiya stock. The Citadel will go on another Beauticom rack, which I just ordered tonight, having been so impressed with the first unit!

DSC04030.JPG

So the workshop renovation continues to develop. Stay tuned!!!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:27 pm

That looks really good, like McCoy I don`t have a man cave, the closest I come is a dedicated cupboard in the kitchen and a bit of countertop I keep clear for hobby stuff. The good thing is I am right next to the kettle and my stool backs onto the radiator so I am quite comfortable.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Frank wrote:That looks really good, like McCoy I don`t have a man cave, the closest I come is a dedicated cupboard in the kitchen and a bit of countertop I keep clear for hobby stuff. The good thing is I am right next to the kettle and my stool backs onto the radiator so I am quite comfortable.

:lol: ....I'm thinking of my wall and base cabinet allotment in my kitchen and feeling quite greedy at the moment, given your post :lol:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:08 pm

A little update on the reno':

I had ordered a second nail polish station, using the Buy It Again feature on Amazon, and got a similar station from another seller, with only 5 (rather than 6) tiers. Luckily, Amazon has a very generous return policy, even covering postage.... And I got my credit sooner than said (before my return made it to them), so I have nothing but high praise, even though I'd gotten the wrong item. I figure it's a danger of the large box store sales environment :D

I plan to try again, but from the actual sellers posting.... A second unit will take care of the overflow of bottles I have, and give plenty of future planned purchases of Vallejo products.

The modular system would have been n ice but, it was just too damned expensive!

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Here Em, take a look att this! It's a new line of desktop stands etc. for us modelers, they're laser-cut out of 3 mm MDF board. Rather good prices but still in development but soon it'll be ready for the market.

http://www.rebell.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=GEEK
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:10 pm

McCoy wrote:Here Em, take a look att this! It's a new line of desktop stands etc. for us modelers, they're laser-cut out of 3 mm MDF board. Rather good prices but still in development but soon it'll be ready for the market.

http://www.rebell.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=GEEK

Those are fantastic! I've been seeing the samee thing with DiceTowers. I used to be a CAD Programmer at a steel-rule die company, which used a laser to cut high density wood board, and it was the level of precision on the blade to blade measurements was pubic hair accurate. To digress, these must just pop right out of the machines and cut overhead so much to the point that the prices should be reasonable.

By the way....I did get the second nail polish stand....they work GREAT :D

Return to “Modeling Discussion & Chatter”