Do you consider Model Building an Artform?

General Discussions on all things Kit Building

Moderator: Geek44

Is Model Building an Artform?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Never thought about it
No votes

Total votes: 7

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do you consider Model Building an Artform?

Postby Whiterook » Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:18 pm

Yeah, it's embarassing to say: "I wish I'd not lost that cannon, as I really could use it on the right exposed flank." ..... as your mates giggle, trying not to be obvious with quick glances, of it glued to your hair atop the knoggin'
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Geek44 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:37 am

Modelling is most definitely an artform but then I think the term "art" is generally understood to be too few pursuits. I wrote an essay here but then deleted it because I thought that this simple idea might express my thoughts better...
Give ten guys the same kit, the same paint, the same glue and other stuff they need and you'll get ten models that each have a distinctive appearance and each modeller will be able to recognise his own model among all the rest. In short, everybody interprets their subject a little differently and everybody has their own style. Some modeller's style is so distinctive you can even tell who the builder was by looking at the model (Mig Jimenez, Shigeyuki Mizuno for examples).
Below is a link to Dr. Shige's Tankworld (this is Shigeyuki Mizuno's "nom de plume" if you will). Check it out. He's a modelling genius in my opinion and his style is totally his own. Tell me the models on his site are not art.

http://www.geocities.jp/shige122112/tank.html

My thoughts on levels of accomplishment.
Art is, in my opinion, an expression of a part of the artist's soul when it's truly art. Some of us have been modelling for a year, others have been doing it for five or even ten years and some of us...well I've been modelling for at least forty years now. Some of us for more time than that! I like to use the analogy of thinking that the new modeller is like a baby, a more experienced modeller is like a child then on to teenagers and then adults and then further we get old folks. As we grow (build models) we learn things, gain experience and our modelling vocabulary expands until we have a wider choice of devices with which to express our models. My son for example has built three kits. His models are covered in fingerprints, the canopies are all clouded with glue, there are gaps you could jump on a motorcycle and the only ones that have paint on them are the ones I paint for him. He built those three kits in the time it took me to fill and sand the gaps at the wingroots of my current project.
But they're his models. They're his expression. Who of us could possibly say that an expression of his soul as the modeller, even if it's naive and less polished than mine, is less authentic or less worthy of respect? I don't care how long you've been modelling for or how many kits you've attempted. Your models are wonderful for the simple fact that you had a shot and worthy of the same respect as anybody else's.
There's a saying that goes that "There's always someone better". I think that applies to anything humans do. Conversely, there's also always someone worse :lol: .
Every part a masterpiece.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Beautifully said! Every kit I've done...from the worst (in my opinion) to the best...is an expression of my being, for I am alive, and therefore, so is my art. As another member stated, it's an endeavor in creation...and that requires ones' investment of a part of themselves.

As I read through the posts, and interesting thing occurred to me, on the subject of Trench Art. Soldiers making a train out of an artillery shell, that serves as an ashtray. Now it sits in a gallery. Why? It was an expression of the soldier, who could have just as easily used a K-ration tin.

We as modelers could just as easy go out and buy the plethora of 'replicas' you are more and more seeing pop up on the Internet..... $500 for a 'professionally' produced ship model.... the same subject I may have seen on a modeling site, built for $50 and looking just as hood. But instead, we buy the kit and make it into our version; our vision. How cool is that?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Modeling Discussion & Chatter”