Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Feudal Q&A

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Feudal, by Avalon Hill

Feudal is a chess-like board wargame. The object of the game is to either seize your opponent's Castle; or to capture all of your opponent's Royalty. There are six sets of pieces, in three shades each of blue and brown. Each set consists of thirteen figures, which are limited not only in their method of movement, but also their range and style of attack; and a stationary castle piece.

You can find the rules here....

http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=974&sid=48682597160b4f105f123f9d8053c57c

The play area consists of four boards depicting empty, rough, and mountainous terrain. The following Coordinates Map outlines the playing field we will be using for this game, with the four boards in two columns and two rows.

The COORDINATES listed are to be used in your movement orders....cross-reference the numerical coordinate with the alpha coordinate to designate the starting and ending locations.

EXAMPLE: 'Squire D17 to E15'

Feudal Coordinates Map.jpg

Note that the battlefield map has solid squares, which represent Mountains; and pattern-covered squares, which represent Rough Terrain. Where two of these different-type squares meet (at either corner points or square face sides), will represent a "Valley", where certain units may cross.

Keeping in mind the rules which appear below, players position their pieces anywhere in their respective Kingdoms (Rows 1-12 and 13-24). While doing so, they may refer to Movement Diagram chart shown in the next post, so that they have an idea of which way they may wish to attack or defend.

• MOUNTAINS AND ROUGH TERRAIN - (solid and patterned spaces respectively) are restricted areas of play. Before deploying their forces, players should check rules for Mounted Men and Footmen for restrictions regarding positioning and movement of pieces in these areas.

• The CASTLE piece - may be placed on any terrain, including rough and mountainous areas. Once positioned, the Castle may not be moved. The Castle Green is the only entrance to, or exit from the Castle.

• MOUNTED MEN (on horses) - may not be positioned on, move onto or across mountains or rough terrain; but, they may cross valleys between mountains and/or rough terrain.

• FOOTMEN - may not be positioned on, move onto or across mountains. They may, however, cross rough terrain and valleys between mountains. Archers and Squires are the only pieces that may not position in (or enter) their own Castles; however, they may be placed or moved onto the Castle Green.

Players will secretly determine placement of their forces and PM them to the Gamemaster (GM). If the game plays in teams, the first two players to sign up will be the Captains and the other "Armies" will coordinate placement and future orders through the Captain (make sure to courtesy copy your team-mates!!!). * ...see several posts down for Team Play
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feudal Q&A Thread

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:24 pm

There are always 2 Forces that play in a game....a Blue Force and a Brown Force. In a 2-Player game, each Captain maneuvers a full force (Blue or Brown):
Feudal Pieces.jpg

:!:

The pieces above comprise three distinct categories:

ROYALTY...comprised of a King, Prince, and Duke (pictured in that order below)
Feudal Pieces ROYALTY.jpg

The Force's CASTLE stronghold, made up of the Castle (walled), and Castle Green (un-walled)....Just one, which takes up 2-squares on the board
Feudal Pieces CASTLE copy.jpg

....and ONE ARMY, consisting of ten playing pieces:
2X Knights; 2X Sergeants; 1X Squire; 1X Archer; and 1X Pikemen (as shown in that order below.
Feudal Pieces ONE ARMY.jpg

Following is a Movement Diagram for the pieces outlined above....

Feudal Movement Diagram copy.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:13 pm

PLAY - The play begins with the player who won initiative (determined by the GM by dice roll) moving first. During his/her turn, each player may move any, or all of their men; at least one man must be moved in each turn. Each piece is allowed only one move per turn, and may be moved only as diagrammed (see Movement Diagram).

• All men (except Squires) may be moved only over unoccupied spaces;

• The Squire moves (similar to that of a knight in chess) over vacant or occupied spaces (but not over a Castle piece);

• When moving to slay an enemy, the attacker (except Archer) must move onto an enemy-occupied space, which kills the enemy piece.....the slain enemy is removed from board and victor occupies the space.

The Archer is a very powerful piece! Unlike his comrades, he must not engage the enemy directly, Mano-a-mano (landing in the enemy square to kill)...but rather use his lethal bow from a distance to slay his prey. They are the Snipers of the battlefield!

• Archers do not "move" to slay; rather instead, they may shoot (remove) the first man in line of fire up to three spaces away in any direction.

• Archers may not shoot over mountains or Castles; however, they may shoot from or across the Castle Green.

To cross the Green, or to leave or enter the Castle, a playing piece must stop on the Castle Green and wait till his next turn to leave it. Note that the Squire's move makes it impossible for him to enter the enemy's Castle from the Green.

The game ends - when the opponent's Castle is captured; or when all of his/her royalty has been slain. To capture a Castle, the invader must gain entrance through, and stop on the Castle Green. From the Green s/he may enter the Castle on their next move - and WIN THE GAME!

Note: At any time during the game, a player may ask for a truce. If the other player agrees to the truce, the battle is over and the game ends in a stalemate.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:26 pm

RULES FOR TEAM PLAY (3 to 6 players)

When more than two play, one player (chosen by whomever signs up in the Call for Players first!) becomes the team Captain of the Blue Forces; the second signed-up player as Captain of the Brown Forces. After choosing his/her teammates, each captain will be assigned the darkest hue color of their force; plus the Castle; and the royalty of the same color of the Captain, which one or both of the Prince and/or Duke will be going to his/her teammates....

Each teammate will then be assigned (by the GM) the team's remaining armies (lighter hues), but does not gain a Castle or any Royalty. The teammates are just assigned an Army; and the Team Captain gives teammates his/her Prince and/or Duke pieces to command their armies.

The Team winning a GM die toss moves first. The team Captain designate the order in which his/her armies are to move during team's turn. Each player, during his/her turn, may move any or all of their men; at least one man in each army must be moved.

The Team capturing their opponent's Castle, or slaying their opponent's Royalty wins the game!

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Feudal Q&A

Postby TRDG » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 pm

Sorry for the wait, I'll take the upper side, 1-12 I beleave.

Next I take it the castle takes up 2 squares, as the "Green entry" square is in front of it, right?

NEXT

Any enemy that tries to get into the castle has to stop at the "first" green square right before the castle, is it set on a specific side of the castle, left, right, up or down?

So if I position my castle in a certain way there may be only 1-2 entry points to the green square. IE An enemy unit can't go behind the castle and get in, bypassing the green square, so to speak?

Cheers, to an interesting game ahead and good luck Mike!!

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:11 pm

TRDG wrote:Sorry for the wait, I'll take the upper side, 1-12 I beleave.

Next I take it the castle takes up 2 squares, as the "Green entry" square is in front of it, right?

Ok....that side of the board it is. You and Mike should be working on opening positions. On your question, yes, the Castle piece takes up 2 squares; the walled part takes up one square, and the in-walled "Green" (as in, field of grass) the other.

The walled part can only be entered from three sides of its square; the castle being on the fourth side and the only way in the castle. You must stop on the Green...then enter next time.

TRDG wrote:NEXT

Any enemy that tries to get into the castle has to stop at the "first" green square right before the castle, is it set on a specific side of the castle, left, right, up or down?

That's right. The entry is based on the positioning of the 2-piece (walled and un-walled) piece....and depending on what direction you place the whole piece of course. Note that terrain can be an advantage?

TRDG wrote:So if I position my castle in a certain way there may be only 1-2 entry points to the green square. IE An enemy unit can't go behind the castle and get in, bypassing the green square, so to speak?

Cheers, to an interesting game ahead and good luck Mike!!

Tom

Always three entry sides to the Green itself (as the castle is on the fourth side). No unit can enter by a walled side (no scaling walls)

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:28 am

Thanks, just wanted to make sure before I plan my set up

Also I think the Green square can be reached by 5 sides, as untits move diag as well, worth noting I think.

Cheers, one more nasty night of work and I can spend some more time on the site here, finally (as more "things" have cropped up in life....)!!

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:43 pm

TRDG wrote:Thanks, just wanted to make sure before I plan my set up

Also I think the Green square can be reached by 5 sides, as untits move diag as well, worth noting I think.

Cheers, one more nasty night of work and I can spend some more time on the site here, finally (as more "things" have cropped up in life....)!!

Tom

That's a good point....yes, you appear able to enter the green from 5 angles (I hadn't considered diagonal). Good catch!

hang in there with the work gig!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:24 pm

From Tom:

Castle placement

Is there any restrictions? One can place it sideways, and up and down, right, just so it is accessable for units in some way, shape or form.

Otherwise I am plotting my forces out but need to know this, being key to placement.

Cheers

Tom

Place anywhere horizontally or vertically....can't go diagonal. The Castle nullifies any terrain (Mountains or Rough Terrain) it's placed on.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:47 am

Got it, thanks, I'll PM my final deployment SUNDAY

Sorry for the wait guys!!

Tom

Return to “Logistics Center”