Nuklear Winter '68 Q&A

Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nuklear Winter '68 Q&A

Postby Whiterook » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:36 pm

This thread is for Q&A's for the Nuklear Winter '68 games here in the Military Wargaming Forum.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Re: Nuklear Winter '68 Q&A

Postby josta59 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Ok, I was hoping I wouldn't have to ask this, but now that it's my turn, I have no choice...

...Why can't I see my units? You said they'd start in C11, but I don't see them. So how do I start? How will they just appear in C11? Thanks, and hopefully things will go more smoothly once I get started!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:51 pm

josta59 wrote:Ok, I was hoping I wouldn't have to ask this, but now that it's my turn, I have no choice...

...Why can't I see my units? You said they'd start in C11, but I don't see them. So how do I start? How will they just appear in C11? Thanks, and hopefully things will go more smoothly once I get started!

Seriosly, no reason to hate asking questions....that's how we learn games; and any question you ask probably has popped in the head of someone viewing this thread and game....and may not even be a member yet! So, ask away. As my teacher way back when said, the only dumb question is the one not asked!

OK....

1. You don't see them because you haven't moved them on the board yet! :D The Reich has intel that you're in the general vacinity but they have no idea where you'll actually make your grand appearance...well, until now :lol: ....and the Black Hand are off in the depths of the shadows no noticing anyone around yet.

2. Your M60A1 tanks have a SPEED of 6, meaning the can move a maximum of 6 hexes (terrain costs permitting) on each AM (Action Marker) activation, one of which has just activated, starting one of your potential two formation activations for this turn. That means, if drawn, you formation chit for the second AM will allow you to activate any and all of those units again this turn.

The '6' number on the chit is white...which means you can fire on the move. That is done by only moving your unit up to half that SPEED (e.g., 3 or less), and firing with a -2 AV (attack value) penalty (you are of course not going to be as accurate with your shot while moving!).

Examples on movement costs (see page 16 of the rules) are: It costs vehicles 1 MP (Movement Point)...also thought of as one SPEED expenditure point....to move into a road or clear hex; costs a vehicle 2 MP's to move woods or urban hex. A big point to remember is that if you roll along a road through the whole activation (meaning, you entire move without leaving the road), you get a bonus +1 MP....meaning, you get to move an additional hex (in this case, your 6 SPEED increases to 7 SPEED).

TERRAIN: The terrain element (e.g., woods) that either covers the center dot; OR occupies at leasy 3/4's of the hex is the predominant terrain.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Thanks much for this and for all your replies to my messages. I'm still confused about AMs. Surely I can't move a formation six hexes with one AM and then another six on a second AM, can I? It wouldn't make sense to be able to go such a distance in one turn.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:29 am

Also, what's confusing about the terrain effects is that some types, like clear and road, have an MP cost of 1, while others, like hill and shellholes, have an MP cost of +1. That makes sense until I look at sand and urban, which have a cost of 2. Huh?? Should that be +2? Please explain.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:04 am

josta59 wrote:Thanks much for this and for all your replies to my messages. I'm still confused about AMs. Surely I can't move a formation six hexes with one AM and then another six on a second AM, can I? It wouldn't make sense to be able to go such a distance in one turn.

Actually, you can move all 6 SPEED MP's in 1 AM activation; and then another move if another AM is drawn. You're not driving across a continent :D

This is the way it works:

• There are 6 AM's (Action markers) in play; 2x Reich; 2x NATO; 2x Black hand.
  • All are placed in a draw cup.
  • There are 3 Playes in the game.
  • The number of Players are subtracted from the available number of AM's (and if there were Event Markers in play, those would also be added, so it creates a formula.....
  • 6 - 3 = 3 AM's, which are the available number or AM's able to be drawn in any one turn!
  • All markers go back into the draw cup for the next turn.

So, It is theoretically possible for a player not to get a go on a turn (e.g., 1 Black hand AM, and 2 NATO AM's are randomly drawn on Turn 4, so the Reich is dormant for that turn.

Do I like this? Well, in truth, no. But then again, I've not played the game yet....but it seems to allow for luck crapping one unlucky player that happens not to get an AM drawn for several turns....or at a crucial moment. I don't think og f War even covers that logic! ...but, we'll see.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:09 am

josta59 wrote:Also, what's confusing about the terrain effects is that some types, like clear and road, have an MP cost of 1, while others, like hill and shellholes, have an MP cost of +1. That makes sense until I look at sand and urban, which have a cost of 2. Huh?? Should that be +2? Please explain.

Wow....you know, I just noticed that as you said it. I have no friggin' idea what that "+1" designation means!!! Maybe I'm just too tired at the moment. If charlescab comes in, maybe he can enlighten us. In the mean time, I'll look into it and et an answer to you.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:19 am

Thanks! Nice explanation of the AMs. I didn't realize how different it is in this game. I know these aren't long distances, but M60s have a top speed of thirty MPH, so twelve hexes seemed a bit much if other players are only going half that distance or less. Maybe I'm overthinkin' it. I need sleep, too!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:30 am

Whiterook wrote:
josta59 wrote:Also, what's confusing about the terrain effects is that some types, like clear and road, have an MP cost of 1, while others, like hill and shellholes, have an MP cost of +1. That makes sense until I look at sand and urban, which have a cost of 2. Huh?? Should that be +2? Please explain.

Wow....you know, I just noticed that as you said it. I have no friggin' idea what that "+1" designation means!!! Maybe I'm just too tired at the moment. If charlescab comes in, maybe he can enlighten us. In the mean time, I'll look into it and et an answer to you.

Well....I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this one. I posted the question on BoardgameGeek, and a great guy named Ryan Shannahan posted this explanation, which I hadn't thought of in terms explained, and make sense to me:

"The reason for the +1 MP modifiers for Hills, Shellholes, and Wrecks is that the MP cost of each hex is determined by the aggregate of the terrain or battlefield features present in the hex. Woods, Urban, Crop, and Clear hexes are the "core" features. Hills are usually present only in clear hexes, but in one instance (see below) Hill & Woods occupy the same hex. Additionally, markers such as Shellholes and Wrecks modify MP cost. A chart noting every possible combination would be more cumbersome to use. So I think it was easier (and allows more flexibility) for the designer to have "core" terrain with a flat MP cost and "stackable" terrain/features which would add a MP cost to whatever "core" terrain it occupied a hex with."

I had given this example: I would assume it costs 2 MP's to enter (denoted as +1), just as it costs 2 MP's to enter a vehicle into an urban hex (denoted as 2 MP's).

Ryan's response was....

"......is correct for the situation you proposed. But what about hex (V11), which is a Woods hex on a Hill edge hex? The MP would be 3 for that Hill hex. Also the Urban hex (J6) also contains shellholes. So that would have a MP of 3 whereas each other Urban hex has a MP of 2.

While these instances/exceptions are only a couple out of the entirety of the whole board, it would add more lines to the TEC to note the additional terrain combinations with a flat MP value. Also, I think it gives the designer some flexibility in the future should he design more maps where woods/hill edge or hill urban/hill edge may be more prominent."

So it all came back to (for me, anyway) '+1' annotation on the TEC is an a lot ate way of denoting '2'; but that thought was enlightened by Ryan to show me it further gives the latitude to cover other modifiers, as well as future game expansion options.

As with a lot of games, it comes down to playing the game and getting used to it.....or if you have something misunderstood, it'll work itself out in the wash, eventually.

Ryan....if you end up seeing this....Thank You! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:55 am

I wrote to the Designer of the game, Petre Tutunea with the following......

'Subject: Re:Can I ask a quick question?
BSG75CAG wrote:
I thoroughly don't get the '+' signs on the Terrain chart of nuklear Winter '68. Hills, Shellholes and Wrecks have a +1 cost....what does that mean?

If it costs 2 MP's to enter a hill hex, and 2 MP's for a vehicle to enter an Urban hex...why is Hills marked '+1' and urban marked '2'?

I'm afraid I am also confused on the Unit Type chart...no idea what this is supposed to be telling me.

Man, I feel dumb even bringing these up, but I am baffled

Thanks for reading this! I love the game and concept. I just started a play by post game on my wargaming forum website...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=883&sid...

I've three members there that have just ordered the game based on the thread and the game hasn't even really gotten off the ground yet!

Emery'

Hi Emery,

Generally speaking, the '+' sign indicates a modifier, either to movement cost or to the defensive factor.

Here's a Shellholes' +1 as a defensive modifier example. Shellholes add +1 to a Clear terrain's 0DV for a total of +1DV, or they could add +1 to a Woods' +1DV for a total of +2DV.

Here's a Hills' +1 as a movement modifier example. Vehicles going uphill in a Clear hill hex have to pay 1MP (Clear) +1MP (Hill) for a total of 2MPs. Vehicles going uphill in a Woods hill hex have to pay 2MP (Woods) +1MP (Hill) for a total of 3MPs.

The Unit chart represents an alternative way of determining mission success by counting victory points awarded for reduced (vp-R) and destroyed (vp-D) units. The chart also represents a very basic tool for creating custom scenario balanced armies.

Glad you enjoy the game, please let me know if I can be of further assistance,
Petre

Petre....if you see this.....Thank You!

Return to “Logistics Center”