Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lock 'N Load: TANK on TANK - Q&A Thread

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Sure :D

You have to piece a few things together to come to the rule for firegroups. It's not clearly laid out in one area, like most wargames; and it's also not a traditional firegroup like most wargames, where participating units need to share adjacency, and sometimes Leadership.

In Tank on Tank Eastern Front, you get to 6.0 ACTION POINTS...

LNLToTEF6.0.jpg

Note the second bullet point circled in red: "Fire any/all pieces at one target (8.0)
This is saying you can fire any, and up to all pieces (units) at a target. It does not say they have to be adjacent to one another. Now note that the above screen shot is from the new Eastern Front rules. I can't tell you what the old Eastern Front rules say, because I never owned that game! ...but in the old Western Front rules, it says the same thing.

Now,that moves up to 8.0 COMBAT...

LNLToTEF8.0.jpg

That's telling us that as long as the firing units meet the criteria of having each target unit in the Front Firing Arc , Range, and having Line of Sight to each target piece they can fire on that target; and that any number of pieces can fire on the target. Again, it says nothing about adjacency.

Going to BoardGameGeek and the LNL site, and speaking with reps from LNL...it was fleshed out that units don't have to be adjacent, but that was never transferred to the new rules. Perhaps they think it's a no-brainer; but more than likely, it's just another example of a game company that uses the mantra of, 'If it doesn't say you have to do it, you don't have to do it'.

But now, in the new version of Tank on Tank Eastern Front, you have 8.6 RESTRICTIONS OF SOVIET FIRE....

LNLToTEF8.6.jpg

This is where the rules specify that for the Soviets, group fire (firegroups) consist only of adjacent units, forming a continuous firegroup. That is most definitely a game changer to the standard Tank on Tank player that is used to firing a bunch of non-adjacent units with arc, LOS, and range at a target.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:45 pm

Thank you, so very thorough! This makes total sense. I forgot that multiple units can fire at once, and, like you said, you really have to read carefully to see it.

You really took some time to answer my question, and I really appreciate it!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:45 pm

M pleasure. If you had the question, chances are other did to. This has always been one of the biggest reasons I started this forum....inspire, guide, and advance wargaming. We have a lot of great people here that are doing that every day.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Logistics Center”