"The Chateau" Logistics Thread

Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

"The Chateau" Logistics Thread

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:56 pm

This thread is for Scott and Frank to ask questions of me, on game matters and rules, questions, or advice. Good luck, Gentlemen!!! :D
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "The Chateau" Logistics Thread

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:39 pm

OK, so both sides have red boxes surrounding their infantry's Movement Factors, which mean they are Assault Move eligible units! Hunh, you might say? The cool thing with that is, they can move half their move and subsequently fire!!!

That's not gonna do anyone any good at game start, as we are all so far away from each other....but once we get going nearer one another, then that might prove critical. Assault Move is the ONLY time (that I know of) when you can move AND shoot. The cooler thing si that doubletime applies in the mix....which is, if you start a move and move the whole way with a Good Order (GO) Leader, your infantry's 4 MF turns into 6! So if you AM while doubletiming, you can move three hexes and fire! That's big.

Nothing comes for free, though....there's a penalty: You have 2FP subtracted from your total attacking firepower. So that obviously means you need to assault move in a stack to make this worth the potential payoff....and if you have support weapons, that sweetens the pot.....

I mention all this because it is something that should be considered when assigning and transferring support weapons, eh. The thing to remember on this is: One squad (counter) can fire a SW and retain (use) it's inheriant FP (the one printed as the first, left-most factor on the counter); however, if a squad fires TWO support weapons, you forfeit the inherant FP! :shock:

Assault Movement is one of the more complicated rules in the system....it's not terribly deep in theory, but its something often forgotten from what I've read on other forums.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:14 pm

So also keep in mind as you setup, that there's a significant amount of Bocage in this scenario map. For help with that, take a peek at http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2382&sid=8953ea546d8e271a6fe72b031709430b

What I find fiendishly clever about this scenario (my design, by the way, and never played so I have no idea on balance or practicality :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol: :o :lol: ) is the division of the Allies to either use the road and get in the action quickly, with the other end of that coin being you end up in some pretty wide open spaces!!! Or, head to the flanks and plow your way stealthy through, with the other end of that coin being....sloooooooooowwwwwwwwly.

I also want to note that I have an MG32 set up in each end of that Chateau. Good range with a nice little punch.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Hey Em, I have forgotten, what distance is LOS in this?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:31 pm

Range depends on the unit. It's the middle number at the bottom of the counter.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Scott in rigt on Range, which only goes so far for fired inherent and support weapons (Obviously, offboard artillery barages are different, but we're a long way from learning about that :lol: ).

However, Line of Sight (LOS) can be traced as far as it will go before hitting degrading or blocking terrain: At blocking terrain, LOS stops cold in its tracks! For degrading terrain (ex: Cemetary, low crops, light woods, bushes, rubble, marsh, vehicle/wreck), it keeps going until it hits a second degrading terrain hex, and then stops dead in its tracks.

So theoretically, LOS can go from one board edge to the other if it doesn't hit a blocking terrain hex, or more than one degrading terrain hex.

By the way: I just put the link to the latest PDF version of the Lock 'N Load Tactical, WWII Living Rules....
http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2389&sid=bd6fd0b96277c3579cd6c115a1a89000

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:53 pm

What I was thinking to do was move everyone up to F5. I have 6 hexes of movement with my Captains leadership so should be able to get there. There are just a couple of points that I need clarifying first though.

F5 has a different picture to the low orchard type hex, does that mean it blocks LOS instead of degrading it. WOuld a unit in that hex get any cover or other benefit.

If I leave the mmg there and move the rest next game turn I assume that I would be able to get Opportunity Fire if they see any movement?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:10 pm

Frank wrote:What I was thinking to do was move everyone up to F5. I have 6 hexes of movement with my Captains leadership so should be able to get there.

Yes....3 MPs for the three road hexes, and 2MPs to enter the light woods of F5.

Frank wrote:There are just a couple of points that I need clarifying first though.
F5 has a different picture to the low orchard type hex, does that mean it blocks LOS instead of degrading it.

F5 is a Light Woods hex, so differentiated by its having four trees in it (as opposed to the more cluttered Forest ...example, H3). Light Woods hex is a "Degrading Terrain". See 10.3 in the rules (link to new living rules provided earlier). Basically, you can see through Light Woods, but can't through Forest or Buildings.

If LOS passes through two degrading terrain hexes, LOS is then blocked, as is spotting attempts blocked.

Degrading terrain also affects dice rolls in attacks: The Attacker's dice roll has 1 subtracted for every degrading hex that LOS passes through; Leader's in a die roll adds one to his modifier likelwise.

Frank wrote:WOuld a unit in that hex get any cover or other benefit.

A unit in Light Woods gets a +1 Terrain Modifier in your defense roll against being fired on.

Frank wrote:If I leave the mmg there and move the rest next game turn I assume that I would be able to get Opportunity Fire if they see any movement?

In F5? Next turn, if you move units out of F5, but leave the MMG with a squad to man it in F5, the MMG and Squad weren't 'activated' and can do normal operations as become available....such as Op Firing, or regular firing.

If you leave JUST the MMG in F5 and move everything else out, what you essentially did was drop the support weapon and abandoned it. A support weapon (such as an MMG) cannot fore all on its own.

Remember, to Opportunity Fore, you cannot have moved of fired already.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:33 am

Oops, completely forgot that. In a minis game the mmg and the crew are integral, so I would need to leave a chit with it to fire it.

Ok, will have a quick think and get back to you.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:54 am

Frank wrote:Oops, completely forgot that. In a minis game the mmg and the crew are integral, so I would need to leave a chit with it to fire it.

Ok, will have a quick think and get back to you.

Yeah...to be clear to all, there is a lot more depth in Lock 'N Load's 'Heroes' games, however I am just using the basics here.

To what you mention Frank, in the LNL system, what you've pointed out is actually handled by Weapons Teams, which represent larger support weapons and their crew...such as an artillery piece. In LNL, since we are talking skirmish/squad-level, LMG and MMGs are considered small support weapons, which are carried, non "manned by a crew".

Now if you leave an MMG behind to fire in a hex in a haunted graveyard..... :lol:

Return to “Logistics Center”