LNLP Heroes of the Pacific Q&A Thread

Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LNLP Heroes of the Pacific Q&A Thread

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 pm

No props....its fun. I'll get it on the thread tomorrow night.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:49 pm

OK, we made it to Turn 2 8-)

So Scott is up. The game is played in IMPULSES, which means only one hex can be activated on his Impulse, unless a leader has units adjacent to him. In this case, you don't, because coming in on those hexes got you in the jungle, rafts covered and starting infiltration. I think that was the nest trade-off, instead of keeping them together.

So now, it's getting inland. My advice would be to avoid the beach hut and get inland. It's night so, the Japanese cannot see (spot) beyond 2-hexes, unless your side fires (and they'd see that two hexes away!). What this means is, you can move pretty close to the Japanese units without being seen, as long as you're beyond 2-hexes. But keep in mind, you now know at the start of my turn, while no-one is known by me (close to me), I get to Patrol, and might head a direction (even though randomly drawn) not favorable to you ;)

If it were me, I'd move Stryker and platoon up forward, but to a position that would allow the other platoon to get next to you on your next impulse (for instance, to 38K6); after you see what I do on impulse 3, you can determine whether to link up or stay separate. General tactics would say, link up, as you reduce the amount of impulses you have to wait to cover a lot of ground with a lot of men. But, everything depends on Japanese patrols :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Some Tactics Talk:

So, in an Impulse, you can activate one hex and all or any units in it. Not all units need to be activated so for instance, so you could use some to move out and some to firel; or some to do nothing; or none of them do nothing (called a pass). That a pretty major part of the game, actually....it's what gives you the flexibility of action.

Now in that frame of thought, keep in mind that a single unit (e.g., a MultiMan Counter, called an MMC) can either move or shoot, but not both. Holds true for different units in the same hex...two fire, one move out with a leader, for example.....

But there is an exception to what I just said, which is a unit(s) that can Assault or use Stealth movement can combine moving and fire in the same impulse :D

Now the last part of all this is.....if you have a Good Order leader in the hex of counters you activate, you can use the leader to activate them, which gives you the following LOVELY bene: He can activate any units in ANY of the 6 adjacent hexes near him!!!!

Think that's cool? Wait for it.......

If the adjacent hex in the example just mentioned ALSO has a leader, he can activate adjacent hexes!!!!

BOOYA!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:33 pm

Hi Em.

What I want to do is move inland, am I right in assuming that if everybody moves forward 2 hexes then I will not be spotted by Ichiro due to the fact I am not in an adjacent hex and it is dark?

If that is right then can I do that please?
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Frank wrote:Hi Em.

What I want to do is move inland, am I right in assuming that if everybody moves forward 2 hexes then I will not be spotted by Ichiro due to the fact I am not in an adjacent hex and it is dark?

If that is right then can I do that please?

It's night, so that means the no one on either side can spot (see) more than 2-hexes out; but you also have the advantage of Ichiro and Company being surrounded by jungle, so you can move in tow hexes away from him with a jungle hex between you and still not be seen. The scenario indicates all American forces were trained in stealth tactics so even double-time running, you are considered moving more quietly than normal troops....

However, we need to be a little realistic in the fact that if you move within two hexes, with intervening terrain, the Japanese may hear something and send a patrol to investigate at their next opportunity....so to represent this, if you move so, I'd roll 1d6 for an Awareness Roll (1-3, suspect; 4-6 clueless).

Given this and the intent you want, I will interpret this as you want as many moving inland as possible, at the best cover possible. Lucky for you, all your leaders are close to each other so you benefit from the 'adjacent' activation rule! I'll do this:

Col. Tall in hex 31C3 activates his hex, and units in B3, D3 and D4.

Cpl. Migliore moves out with his two squads into light jungle hex 31B2 and dumps raft; and continues to 31B1 > light jungle hex 38B8 > 38A7.

Cpl. Tall and his three squads move out into beach hex 31C2 > light jungle hex 31C1 and dumps raft; and continues on to 31B1 and stops in 38A8.

Two squads in beach hex 31D3 move out to beach hex 31C2 > light jungle hex 31C2 > and end in 31B1.

Sgt. Ferrari moves out his two squads into Beach hexes 31C3 > B3 > to end and dump raft in light jungle hex 31B2.

T2,I2fs detail1.png

What this did was keep all your forces in position for group movement or fire; keep you as far away from Ichiro as possible, in case he's activated for a random Patrol; and I maximized your units' movement for double-time to get them as far inland as possible. Plus, all your rafts are concealed: Rafts in.... one raft in 3C1; and two rafts in 31B2; and one raft in 31C3.

If this is acceptable, give me a Picard ('Make it so, Number One!') and I'll post it. Otherwise, we can amend any part of this. :mrgreen:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:39 pm

I just realized, I am showing you these detail shots (crops) in Nightime mode. If you'd rather see them in day, of better clarity, let me know

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:49 am

Thanks Em, that looks pretty good, can we go with that.

I had thought that distance/cover/night meant I could not be seen but I had forgotten that I might have been heard.

I had also thought that double timing would have made me more likely to be detected which was why I had not said about that.

There are lots of little subtleties abut this game that I need to pick up on. :lol:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:11 am

Frank wrote:Thanks Em, that looks pretty good, can we go with that.

I had thought that distance/cover/night meant I could not be seen but I had forgotten that I might have been heard.

I had also thought that double timing would have made me more likely to be detected which was why I had not said about that.

There are lots of little subtleties abut this game that I need to pick up on. :lol:

That's definitely one of the reasons I need t keep reading the rules....it's deceptive how many little nuances there are to the rules. little modifiers seemingly pop out of nowhere on 'ya! A lot of people say (when comparing to dreadnoughts like Advanced Squad Leader, GMT brain squishers, etc.) that LNLT is 'light', 'simplistic', and the like derogatory terms. I say those folk are full of shit, actually....this is a top notch system with plenty of teeth to challenge the everyday Grognard. Yeah, it has some elements that take some pretty chunky liberties, but what system doesn't.

And of course, as to these nuances we were just speaking of, I made it more difficult by adding scenario-specific goodies that aren't in the rules: The American Units were in advanced stealth antics training leading up to this message.... that allows them double-time movement like cheetahs rather than elephants; Random patrols of the Japanese at night; Alert Rolls; and Americans capable of both Stealth and Assault Movement, despite their counter designations. Those are al examples of *enhancing play in the spirit of the scenario*. I think that's what makes a scenario excel beyond the typical. Take that, ASL!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:56 am

For Scott's Impulse 4, I'd move my last group up to link up with the other forces in my command by moving into 38M6. Right now Hex Rows I and J appear to be a clear channel to move through without being spotted, but Japanese patrols could alter that.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Em.

Your intro notes suggest that as well as the 3 objective hexes you also have secret forces. Taking that into account I want to move to the right a bit while keeping clear as much as possible of the emplacement.

Can I do a group move with Col T activating the 2 squads and Cpl M, with Sgt F moving later.

2 squads move from 31 B1 > C8 > C7 > D7.
Col T moves from 38 A8 > B8 > C7.
Cpl M moves from 38 A7 > B7.

Hopefully this should mean I am not auto spotted and I have a bit of space between me and any enemy that I do know about
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Logistics Center”