LNLP Heroes of the Pacific Q&A Thread

Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Re: LNLP Heroes of the Pacific Q&A Thread

Postby josta59 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:17 pm

I can't take it.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:39 pm

As an example, and only to help you and Scott see a possibility as to what I would do if I were playing your forces according to the end results you outlined in your orders above.....I'd move:

1. Able Platoon moves ashore on D5 and moves up to D5, and halts; no LOS for Japanese so they did not notice, and it was more than one hex away, so no 'sound alert' was generated (a scenario specific rule to allow me to react).

2. Baker Platoon and Colonel moves ashore on D5 and moves up to C3, and halts; same alert status as above. Note I am staying clear of hex row E! :shock:

3. Charlie Platoon with Sarge moves ashore on D5 and moves up to D4 and halts it's turn to move up to the jungle edge; same alert status as above.

4. Delta Platoon with Corporal moves ashore on B5 and moves up to B3 and halts, which allows them a shot at making the raft dump off spot next turn as the other troops move in and clear out in order; same alert status as above.

Example, Army.png

What this does is gets everyone close enough to enter the jungle on the next TURN. I would actually dump boats in hexes B2, C1, and D2, so as to avoid several turns to bet troops into one hex (D2) to dump'em.

Now this is real important for you and Scott:

Note that this game is IMPULSE DRIVEN... meaning, we all take turns activating ONE HEX at a time. If a leader is Good Order, he can activate any adjacent hex(s) to him! But.....

For this first turn, all your guys get to enter the board at the same time ion you wish...after turn 1, it switches to INITIATIVE, meaning, a die is rolled for each of us, which determines who goes first, second, and third in that turn!

So as an example, the next turn for the Allied Army, the Colonel in C5 can activate his hex, and also the adjacent hexes of D4, D3, and B3! Sweet, yes?

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 pm

josta59 wrote:I can't take it.

Bucker up, Camper!

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 pm

That looks to be as close to what I wanted as I am going to get so if I can do as you say then please.

The command bubble was why I said about placing the Colonel touching each hex :D

I had completely forgotten about the beach move penalty :roll:
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:53 pm

I wouldn't complain at all if you wanted to go ahead and place my unit in a likewise fashion, Em.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 pm

Oh yeah, can you give my extra SW to Baker please. I would like to keep my Colonel as mobile as possible.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:25 pm

Sounds good on all accounts.....

You know it strikes me that, the rules are tough to learn (I don't care what the designers of these things say with 'Ease of play' crap). I've read the darned rulebook probably a half dozen times and I am still balancing on the precipice of stupidity on it.

We can attack the game in a bit of a different slant, if you wish: I am totally OK with making Best Case Suggestions; or you could post intents and I could give you my interpretation as to best option in orders. Basically, a walk-you-through the game, but with you in control of what you're trying to get your guys to do. Kinda like what Scott is doing fr me on the Imari game.

Let me know what you think.

In the meantime, I'll pop up both Frank's beginning on-board start....Scott, I'll put something up hear and get your input of Greenlight/Redlight.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:22 pm

That would be most appreciated! Once it gets going, we'll probably get the hang of it. But this landing is daunting as hell with all these danged rules.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:49 pm

Cool.

OK.....Marines! You of course want to get your guys ashore, rafts secure, and underway as soon as possible. At start of things, I'd mentioned you'd have a decision make right off the bat: Attack the beach hut and maybe wake everyone far off; or sneak past and worry about them later. I'd play the second option, as I'd want my guys deep inland to wreak as much destruction at the far North (top of board) victory hexes, before creating enough of a ruckus to wake every Jap in the neighborhood.

I'd land in two platoons:

Echo Platoon (3 squads with 2 Satchel Charges each, and Sarge) land on L4; move to beach L3, and into jungle L2 squad movement, and dump raft....and then use double-time (your leader's giving an extra 2 movement factors to your squads) rot move into jungle hex L1. Raft in L2.

Fox Platoon (3 squads with 2 Satchel Charges each, and your LT) land on N4; move to beach N3, and into jungle N2 squad movement, and dump raft....and then use double-time (your leader's giving an extra 2 movement factors to your squads) rot move into jungle hex N1. Raft in N2.

Operation Nightwind , US Army.png

If you wanted to be closer to the Army Sloggers, you could do the same with hex dos H and I instead, but I'd want distance from that Jap hut myself.

If this does't feel right, I can make other suggestions, but this to me is the best approach.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Thanks, I'll go with your best approach! I appreciate your time and expertise.

Return to “Logistics Center”