LNLP Heroes of the Pacific Q&A Thread

Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LNLP Heroes of the Pacific Q&A Thread

Postby Frank » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:01 pm

I have probably missed it somewhere, but, how many units/tokens does each raft hold?

If they hold more that the 3 limit on stacking I assume that all tokens can move as long as they do not exceed the 3 limit in each hex.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:02 pm

Frank wrote:I have probably missed it somewhere, but, how many units/tokens does each raft hold?

If they hold more that the 3 limit on stacking I assume that all tokens can move as long as they do not exceed the 3 limit in each hex.

The rafts are the same as any hex for stacking limits.... 1 raft --> 3 MMCs/SW, and 2 Leaders; though you could have 2 rafts in a hex, but must redistribute forces to not exceed 3 MMCs/SW, and 2 Leaders in the hex.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:07 am

Right, thanks.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 am

One more thing.

The first turn.

Do we announce which hex we will be landing in whichever hex and then moving off, or, do we tell you which hexs we have landed in and then move off in our impulse?

It could just be me confusing myself (very probably is :roll: ), but the first option suggests that we could use the same hex to land our rafts as long as we move immediately to leave the hex clear for the next arriving raft.

The second option would mean we had to start out a bit more separated

One more "one more thing".

Page 11 says that not all the tokens in a hex need to do the same thing, is it possible to say have a heavy machine gun shoot at an enemy hex to possibly shake it, and then the other tokens from the hex assault it, or does everything happen at the same time, the same if a LEADER is conferring his command bubble, could you shoot with a hex first and then assault with another one in the same impulse?
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Frank wrote:One more thing.

The first turn.

Do we announce which hex we will be landing in whichever hex and then moving off, or, do we tell you which hexs we have landed in and then move off in our impulse?

It could just be me confusing myself (very probably is :roll: ), but the first option suggests that we could use the same hex to land our rafts as long as we move immediately to leave the hex clear for the next arriving raft.

The second option would mean we had to start out a bit more separated

First option :D It's a good point..... for this game, consider the first beach hex a freebie hex, and you move out from that hex paying the cost for the next and so on. Example would be Land on B5 (free hex); move out to B4 to B3....that costs you 4MFs (2 MFs her beach hex). so what does that leave you? One hex shy of the trees :shock: ...it's night, but your ass is still flapping in the nights' breeze!!!! Solution? Mage a Leader with you and get the extra 2MF's to get in the jungle (jungle hex costs 2MFs). Obviously, you are limited on leaders so, plan well whom you need in the jungle quickly, and whom can lay on their tummies for a turn, digging sand crabs out of their crotches!

Frank wrote:One more "one more thing".

Page 11 says that not all the tokens in a hex need to do the same thing, is it possible to say have a heavy machine gun shoot at an enemy hex to possibly shake it, and then the other tokens from the hex assault it,

Hunh??? :lol: That's a bit tricky to answer. I need to answer with theory first, and specifics second...

Theory: All units firing must engage tie same target; the exception being Support Weapons, which either fire at the same target too, but as a separate roll/attack...or fired at a completely different target (non-supportweapons can never do that....fire at different targets....in other words, so split fire unless it's a support weapon). On the flip side with movement, all units that move in a stack must move together as a group. On the flop side, some units in a stack can fire (per above), other can move as a small group, and even some can stay put and do nothing at all!

Specifics: In your examples, you speak of 'Assault'.....that is movement (and just happens to allow firing as part of the move). So, the machine gun (support weapon) is firing......then after the assaulting units are moving and firing. So yes, that is a viable action.....shoot with the machine-gun and see what happens; if not shaken or killed, you could use an assault eligible unit to move, and then fire on the same target.....

The difference would be, say you also wanted to fire Inherent rifle power with a squad at that same target too? The rifle squad COULD fire as the third option....because....wait for it!.....

The first was a support weapon fire action, which had to for separately anyway; the second was a movement action, that allowed fire due to it being an assault move; and then the rifle squad was a, inherent firepower fire action (non-support weapon).

Did I loose you?

Frank wrote: ....or does everything happen at the same time, the same if a LEADER is conferring his command bubble, could you shoot with a hex first and then assault with another one in the same impulse?

Same time....but multiple things can be happening a that same time: firing and moving from the same hex...two different actions, but happening in the same "moment in time". Another angle is the Leader thing you bring up....you can fire from the hex with the leader; but then the leader orders the adjacent hex to assault.

Watch it on the 'Impulse' thing, too.....an Impulse is ALL actions for all available troops in one hex (or adjacent hexes activated by an leader adjacent to them), for your go during a turn; then the opponent does the same; and then you get another go with a hex (and adjacent hexes, if a leader is in that first hex).....that was three impulses....when you run out of things to do in an impulse (to there are three passes in a row), the turn is over. You may have figured that already, but I just want to be thorough :D

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:43 am

*runs out screaming*
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:32 pm

josta59 wrote:*runs out screaming*

:lol: It's not THAT bad! :shock:

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:53 am

Hi Em,

I did not want to clog up the game thread with a lot of confusion so if it is ok with you I will tell you here what I want to do, and then, if I have got it right I will put it up in the game thread properly.

I was going to split my force into 4 platoons, Able, Baker, Charlie and Delta.

Able consisting of 2 squads with 2 BAR and 3 Satchel Charge.
Baker consisting of 3 squads with 3 Satchel charges.
Charlie consisting of 2 squads with 2 BAR and 2 Satchel Charges.
Delta consisting of 2 squads with 2 BARs and 2 Satchel Charges.

Sgt and Corporal both with 1 Satchel Charge each.

Everybody to come ashore in D2 and hide the boats.
Sgt and Charlie platoon moving to E1. (move allowance of 4 reduced to 2 hexes because of the jungle?)
Cpl and Delta platoon moving to D1.
Colonel and Baker staying in D2.
Able moving to C1 and facing into the jungle as an overwatch platoon.

Does that make sense?
Is it legal?
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Cool....yes, this is fine to use this thread for feeling things out. I'll boot up the game after work and have a look. Based on a quick perusal, all looks good offhand.

All boats in one hex is legal (it's the size of half a football field, LOL).

I'll check the leader with a satchel charge thing, on fire effect. Typically, they can fire a SW at 1/2 FP if doing so alone, or full FP is with another leader. Actually, I don't care about it now that I think of it....if there is such a limitation, we will eliminate it with a Home Rule.....Leaders can use satchel charges to full effect :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Okie Dokie. I'm sitting' here with the game up and let me address the orders.....

Frank wrote:Hi Em,

I did not want to clog up the game thread with a lot of confusion so if it is ok with you I will tell you here what I want to do, and then, if I have got it right I will put it up in the game thread properly.

I was going to split my force into 4 platoons, Able, Baker, Charlie and Delta.

Yes, that sounds perfectly fine and doable.

Frank wrote:Able consisting of 2 squads with 2 BAR and 3 Satchel Charge.
Baker consisting of 3 squads with 3 Satchel charges.
Charlie consisting of 2 squads with 2 BAR and 2 Satchel Charges.
Delta consisting of 2 squads with 2 BARs and 2 Satchel Charges.

Sgt and Corporal both with 1 Satchel Charge each.

You've a problem with Able Platoon....

PROBLEM: You've one too many satchel charges assigned (SWs); a Squad can only carry up to two SWs.
(Note also that a Leader can carry only one BUT FORFEITS 2MF (movement factors) which brings them to the speed of a squad....though Able doesn't have a leader. I'm just laying out a fuller picture beyond the problem at hand).

SOLUTION: You can assigned the extra satchel charge to someone on Baker; or the Colonel.

PROBLEM: Potentially..... remember that a Leader can carry one SW, but forfeits 2MF (movement factors) in the process, thus reducing them down to the speed of a squad. The jeopardy here is, as long as a leader is carrying a SW, he cannot move the 6MFs....and more importantly, any squads moving with him cannot have the +2MF bonus; this is called, using "Double-time".

SOLUTION: You can keep it as is and no the bonus to the squads for double-time is lost; or assign two of them to Baker (though a leader will still need to bear a charge)

Frank wrote:Everybody to come ashore in D2 and hide the boats.

You are on the right track, as the Japanese in hex F1 do not have a LOS beyond hex row E...so coming in on rows B or D are the most economical path on that side of the board :D

PROBLEM: It costs 2MF to move in sand. Did I supply you boys a Terrain Effects Chart??? ...I honestly can't remember. Anyway, the first beach hex of D5 is a freebie (per how this scenario is laid out....so that means your 4MF squads can move to D4 and D3 before running out of gas. So....you have a hell of a potential pileup situation here in that only three squads can stack in a hex :shock:

SOLUTION: Now hiding the boats on D2 is perfectly fine...but, you need to get your squads there, in some kind of order of advance ashore, all while adhering to stacking limitations (3 squads, 2 leaders max per hex).

Frank wrote:Sgt and Charlie platoon moving to E1. (move allowance of 4 reduced to 2 hexes because of the jungle?)
Cpl and Delta platoon moving to D1.
Colonel and Baker staying in D2.
Able moving to C1 and facing into the jungle as an overwatch platoon.

As per above, not enough horsepower to make those distances.

Also, on Jungles.... it costs 2MF to enter, but have different target modifiers.

Frank wrote:Does that make sense?
Is it legal?

Yes and no :lol:

You are definitely on the right track....it's an understandable learning curve. I believe you may have gotten the starting hexes mixed up, thinking they were the jungle perimeter; whereas it's really the first beach hex at the waterline, as the start freebie hex.

Return to “Logistics Center”