Battlefield Evolution Logistics and Q&A

Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Battlefield Evolution Logistics and Q&A

Postby Whiterook » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 pm

This is a Logistics and Q&A thread, based upon the full rules of the Mongoose Publishing game, Battlefield Evolution: Modern Combat. The original BattlefieldEVO:MC Quick Start rules can be found here....
Battlefield Evolution Quick Rules.pdf
(607.8 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Legend Conventions:

:ugeek: = My personal comments
:arrow: Main Rule Elements
:idea: Ideas behind the system or points of interest to be aware of
(HOME RULE) = a Home Rule I've instituted to play

*************************************************************************************************************

:ugeek: The following few posts will be on the various, primary rules you will need to know in order to play the game. The explanations build upon what you will see in the Quick Rules on the attachment above, but are just snippets to the full rules, which can be purchased at Mongoose Publishing at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Note that there are also several HOME RULES (denoted as such) that expand, in in my opinion balance the system more effectively. I have put my own personal spin on the rules system, ass I believe some elements were lacking and/or confusing, and for games I GM, will be played to this version.

Before we get into your chance to submit questions for the Q&A portion of this show, here is a brief rundown on how we will play what i call BattlefielfdEVO 2.0 games here at MWF
:D ....

***************************************************************************************************************

OVERVIEW

:arrow: The game is played with individual models, assembled and deployed in Units, which are made up of anywhere from one, to several individual models...usually, squads and teams for infantry; and individual large models, such as tanks and aircraft.

:arrow: Every Unit has a Leader (i.e., in a squad, one soldier will lead; or if just an individual tank, it is assumed to be its own leader). All your Units must end their move within 6" of their respective Unit Leader, else they will be Out of Command (which means they are limited to just being able to React (more on that later), rather than engage in directly initiated combat).

1. If one or more of your models get separated from the Unit, your Leader has to complete an action within 6" of your stranded sheep in order to get them back 'In Command'.

2. If you loose your Leader in combat, as long as you are not reduced to Half Strength (...you find yourself below half the number of models your Unit started the game with), you can promote one of your Ground Pounders to a Field Promotion Leader and carry on normally (though your new Leader will likely be a less well armed killing machine!).

3. (HOME RULE) If your Unit is reduced to under Half Strength, and your Leader is killed, you can still promote a new Leader, but all subsequent KILL and TARGET/ARMOR attack rolls suffer a -1drm.

:ugeek: Note that the game system calls for the 'less-than-half-strength' Unit to be Out of Command for the remainder of the game and can only react. This seems way extreme to me, when you have some of the Worlds' most elite warriors on the board!

:arrow: Facing only applies to BAM's (Big Assed Models, such as tanks and aircraft).

***************************************************************************************************************

THE BASIC GAME

Sequence of Play

:arrow: The game is played in alternating Turns: One player with Initiative completing their full Turn first, before the other Player then conducts their Turn:

1. (HOME RULE) Initiative is determined at the start of each turn by each player rolling 1d10; Highest result wins Initiative.

2. Players alternate turns, performing Actions in their Turn, a player can conduct any 2 of the following Actions: Move; Fire Combat; Close Combat Melee; and Ready (i.e., laying mines). The important thing to remember is that you can perform any 2-Unit Actions of your choice per Turn.

3. When performing an action, your opponent may have a chance to React: in which they may be able to shoot back once you complete your action.

4. The game continues until one side gains victory (i.e., seizing and holding objectives, destroying the enemy outright, or other pre-defined Victory Conditions).
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Battlefield Evolution Logistics and Q&A

Postby Whiterook » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:56 pm

Line of Sight (LOS)

One of the more critical elements of this system has to do with Fire Zones & Lines of Sight (LOS), and it can be a bit daunting for those that never used a system that combines the two in such an interweaving way as BattlefieldEVO.

:arrow: As in pretty much all wargames, in order to shoot the enemy, you first need to see the enemy...which is where LOS comes in (as standardly understood): In this system, you will see the enemy in one of three distinct types of terrain:

1. CLEAR - with no terrain or obstacles that block LOS (i.e., flatland, field, roads, shallow water, etc.)

2. OBSCURED - with terrain or obstacles that interrupts sighting, where you can only see partial enemy models' bodies (i.e., sandbags, blasted building walls, debris, walls, etc.)

3. BLOCKED - with terrain or obstacles that totally obscure LOS.

NOTE that:

A) Models (i.e., soldiers) in your 'Unit' (i.e., a grouping of soldiers in a squad or team, such as 5 men) don't Block or Obscure LOS, as it is assumed they can get the hell out of the way quick enough, as they are all working in concert. You can 'shoot through them'.

B) In addition, enemy models within a Fire Zone (...I'll get to it!) won't Block or Obscure LOS to thier comrades, so there are no enemies playing hero by taking a bullet for the team! They are all potential targets, even if you're crouching behind your buddy, 'Big Ass Sam'!

C) However...models (i.e., soldiers) not in the same unit (i.e., squad) can Block or Obscure LOS

In all cases, LOS is traced as a straight line from the center of the firing models...to any part of a potential target model(s)

D) Models in a STRUCTURE (i.e., building, bunker, etc.) can use its openings (called, 'Fire Points') to fire through. Note that LOS cannot be drawn in through a Fire Point against you while you are in a structure, unless ....

D2) ...you've fired a weapon, in which the enemy can now see you (the muzzle flash, for instance) for the next full enemy Turn! ...but you can still gain standard effects from Cover.

:ugeek: So what is this Fire Zone thing I keep babbling about?

Fire Zones

Well, that's the second criteria for shooting at something in Fire Combat....

:arrow: Firing models must also be able to trace a LOS to the center of what is called the 'Firing Zone': Which is a 6" diameter circle...with a 3" radius that starts from the center of the circle; and, that center point has to be an enemy model!

:arrow: Only models fully or partially in that Fire Zone can be targeted and shot at. Here's where it gets tricky....

:arrow: That 3" radius to the center of the Fire Zone is also the Range ...take a moment to repeat that to yourself and burn it into your memory. This is where this rule-system is totally different than anything else I ever played!

1. Even though all your models (soldiers) can trace a LOS to every enemy model; if any one
(or more) of your models can't trace a LOS to the center of the Fire Zone, they cannot fire on the enemy! And....

2. Since Range is always measured to the center of the Fire Zone (along that 3" radii within a 6" diameter CIRCLE), and not necessarily to each enemy model within that Fire Zone, a given model may sometimes, effectively target an enemy 3" FURTHER than that models' maximum weapon range.
Yeah...that blew my mind, too! :shock:

OK...one last nibblet for you: The beauty of miniature gaming is playing on a diorama with 3-D terrain. You may find yourself facing enemy soldiers in a house, on two floors for instance. That Fire Zone also extends up and down 3"! Thinking of that circle like a transparent vertical tube.

Example: You have a 3-story building in front of your position and you're on ground level just outside (1st floor level). Keep in mind that the floors of each level of the structure are 3" apart from each other on the standard 28mm model structure used in this system). And... there are enemy models on the second and a third floor! :shock:

...You can't target the third floor, as the other 3" radii of the Fire Zone extends down into what would be a basement. Yet in this same example, if the enemy were on the second floor and in the basement, and you had LOS to them....you've got a party!

:arrow: Splitting Fire Zones - You can choose to split your Units' fire between multiple Fire Zones (i.e., an RPG at an enemy tank in one Fire Zone, and the rest of the Unit's rifle teams at enemy soldiers in a completely different Fire Zone or two, or three, or...). OK..there has to be a catch, right?

Yup...there is! You still roll for the entire Unit (that's coming up later), buuuuuuuut, you have to discard any two Damage Dice of your choosing, PER ADDITIONAL FIREZONE!!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Fire Combat Shooting

Each stat card has a 'Damage' category with a d6 designation that tells you how many Damage Dice you roll against the enemy in an attack. Once Range and LOS (to enemy and Fire Zone Epi-center) are satisfied:

A Damage Dice roll is made for your entire Unit (i.e., a squad of 5 soldiers is 1-die each for a total of 5-dice rolled):

:arrow: Natural '1's are discarded; which represent missed shots, mis-fires, and weapons' jams.

:arrow: Then, each Damage die result (including any bonuses...see below) are allocated to one enemy model in the Fire Zone; starting from closest enemy model, going all the way back to the firing unit farthest away.

:arrow: If any dice are left over after initial, individual die allocation, the attacking player can then allocate the remainder to any enemy model at will, with no limit on number of dice on an individual enemy at that point.

So, how are these applied in Combat?

:ugeek: You (the Attacker) are shooting against two variables on the Defender's Stat Card, and each of your die (individually checked against) tells you whether you outright Killed the enemy model; or if you just Hit it, in which case that enemy model will determine if their Armor Roll saves their ass! The three variables are:

Kill score - which if you (as the Attacker) rolls > to = a KILL (model immediately removed from the battlefield;

Target score - which if you (as the Attacker) rolls > to = a chance for the enemy player to roll 1d6 against their Armor to protect themselves....

Armor Save score - which if your opponent (Defender) rolls > to = a Save, and they suffer no effect from your incoming fire. If they don't roll a Save, they're toast (removed from the battlefield). *NOTE: A Natural 1 is always a failure!

Armors' Dodge Alternative - Some models have 2 scores, the second designation being a Dodge selection...in which you can forgo the attempt at a straight Save, and try to jump out of the way of the incoming fire instead. It is performed by rolling an unmodified d6, and if successful...(HOME RULE) move your model 1" to the left or right (if you cannot move left or right, you cannot dodge). So...you can either hope your personal body armor holds and Saves your life, or you can jump like the proverbial cat in a tub of water!

NOTES:

1. If you have a friendly model(s) of another unit in the Fire Zone, they can be hit by Friendly Fire by accident! But....

2. If you have a Friendly model of your own unit that happens to be in the Fire Zone (i.e., an out of command Wrongway Golfarb), they cannot be hit (you can't shoot your own Units' people! ... no matter how much you hate that SOB CO!!!)

3. If you have enemy models in overlapping Fire Zones, it is perfectly permissible to rain hellfire on either zone.

:arrow: BAM's - If there is a BAM (Big Assed Model), such as a tank, in the Fire Zone, you can always opt to allocate the Highest Die rolled to that one BAM...but it's a one shot deal (pun intended...and you can only do this with one selection).

NOTES:

1. When BAM's are destroyed, they stay on the table and their carcass can act as obscuring or blocking terrain.

Laying Mines or Placing Explosive Ordinance

:arrow: Ready Action - Is done by one model using a Ready Action to place the ordinance, and cannot move or shoot while performing that one Ready Action (...but that same model usually uses their second action to Move to get the Hell out of the way of said ordinance!!!
HINT: You probably don't want to Ready C4 on your second action and find yourself stuck in the blast zone! (.....oooooooooh, dat would hurt!!!).

:arrow: The ordinance can later be set off by any model in the Unit with a Ready Action. BOOM!

NOTES:

1. The triggering of the explosive ordinance must be done on a subsequent action (you cannot blow up your own soldier...that's just not nice!)

2. (HOME RULE) Blast Radius - Grenades, C4, mines, and other such type explosive ordinance have a 3" Blast Radius. Anything or anyone caught within that blast radius rolls 1d6:

:idea: Soldier has a +1drm to KILL, +2drm to TARGET and ARMOR;
:idea: Structure rolls 1d10... > 3 destroys; all other results misfire.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Cover

Different amounts and type of terrain will provide differing amounts of Cover from incoming fire, and is broken down into three types in BattlefieldEVO:

:arrow: Light - which will provide a +1drm to the Kill score

:arrow: Medium - which will provide a +1drm to the Kill & Armor scores

:arrow: heavy - which will provide a +2drm to the Kill & Armor scores

NOTES:

1. Light cover examples are tall grass, marshlands, huts, shallow water and pond banks, foxholes, and crops;

2. Medium cover examples are woods, low rubble and low broken walls from ruins, residential wooden walls, sandbags, tank obstacles, crates and shipping cannisters;

3. Heavy cover examples are fortified walls (rock, concrete, steel, etc.), concrete bunkers, concrete and stone buildings.

4. Defending Model positioning for Cover - To take advantage of Cover, a model has to be...
A) Physically touching the opposite side of the terrain (from the position of he enemy), or within a number of inches equal to the friendly models' size as noted on its stat card (HOME RULE); or
B) Totally within the covering terrain.

5. Attacking Model positioning for LOS - For LOS purposes only, in order to 'see through' cover, a firing model can...
A) See though cover (starting from the edge of the terrain closest to the firing attacker) up to a distance equal a number of inches equal to it's own Size score;
B) Can see the enemy if it is a distance within the cover (starting from the edge of the terrain closest to the firing attacker) is equal to the enemy's size score.

6. (HOME RULE) - The following rule is omitted, as in my opinion, it's just silly!
XXX Terrain Height - If the terrain height is lower than the model within it, that model cannot benefit from that cover it is within or behind. XXX

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Close Combat Action - Melee

:ugeek: This is actually called "Charge Action" in the BattlefieldEVO rules book but, I prefer to think of it in the more modern term of Melee' or by the designation term of the dice roll, which is Close Combat. It's a personal thing...'charge action' sounds like the Old Western Cavalry descending on horseback from the hills on the Indian village. :roll:

:arrow: Models can move up to their full Movement allowance to gain melee position on the enemy, and must still end the movement within Command Range of their friendly Leader.

:arrow: You need to get within Lethal Range of your opponent in order to conduct Melee battle. Lethal Range is measured from the center of one of your charging models to any enemy model (usually, it's base)...which must be < your model's Size Score.

CLOSE COMBAT

Conducting Close Combat is similar to regular shooting combat, but with some minor differences:

:arrow: A roll is made with the number of dice denoted on your Stat Card's Close Combat column for each unit in Lethal Range. Those dice are then separated highest to lowest and allocated out to the enemy units; according to the KILL, TARGET and ARMOR ratings, as well as discarding natural 1's. Note that Cover does not apply bonuses in Close Combat itself; but it can have a benefit on approach to the enemy.

:idea: The difference in Close Combat fighting is in how the dice are doled out:

1. You (the Attacker) decide which applicable enemy models in Lethal Range get the highest (and so forth) die...not dependent on what enemy is closest, as in regular fire combat. Each enemy model gets just 1 die.

2. If the are remaining dice not allocated in Step 1 above, then your opponent (the enemy) gets to choose which of their models get the remaining dice as they see fit and proper! :o

PUSH BACK

:ugeek: Yet again, the rules are written very vague and screwy in regard to this rule subject. The system was written to eliminate units being "Locked" in close combat, claiming the intent is to '...recreate the fluidity and deadliness of of close quarters battle.' The majority of rules systems I have come across take the opposite stance, in that once opposing forces have engaged inclose combat, they ARE LOCKED in combat; it's just not that easy to disengage from rushing headlong into the enemy! ...and the chances of pushing them back immediately are not as great as this system proposes. Thusly...

(HOME RULE) - At the end of one action phase of Close Combat:

:arrow: Roll 1d10 for the entire enemy force in Lethal Range...

1. A roll of >8 results in a Push Back of the entire enemy Unit a distance equal to double your Lethal Range (per model on model);

2.Otherwise, you are locked in Close Combat and must once again resolve another round again and again until you either defeat the enemy, push them back, or they kill you.

:arrow: There may come instances where a successful Push Back results in repelling the enemy so ass they are quite literally pushed-off a cliff or building (or other high object). There is a table this instance is rolled against to determine possible damage.

:arrow: The may also come a time when the enemy is pushed-off the game table, or into impassable terrain. The model(s) in question will make an immediate Armor Save Roll: If passed, it will be pushed back as far as it can go and remain in play; and if it fails, it is dispatched (killed or taken prisoner, at the attacking players' discretion).

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Reactions

:ugeek: In many systems, this would be what is called Opportunity actions, such as Opportunity Fire (or, Ops Fire). The interesting thing about BattlefieldEVO is that this 'Reaction' isn't just confined to fire combat, but can also induce movement!

:arrow: Reactions to Enemy Movement: are triggered whenever an enemy Unit (one or a group within one whole Unit) comes within 10" of any one (or more) of your models. Once the enemy's action that triggered the Reaction is complete...you can React...

A) You may choose to React by firing on the specific enemy Unit that caused the Reaction, with normal Firing Combat; or
B) You may choose to move your Unit in any direction.

:arrow: Reactions to Enemy Fire: are triggered when an enemy fires upon one of your Units. Once the enemy's Fire Action is complete and resolved...you can React...

A) You may choose to React by firing on the specific enemy Unit that caused the Reaction, with normal Firing Combat. The Fire Zone on the enemy MUST include the enemy that caused the Reaction; or
B) You may choose to move your Unit in any direction.

:idea: You are never required to React...you can just Lay Low.
:idea: You can only React ONCE per Unit per Turn, no matter how many times/Units creep up on or fire on you.

REACTIONS IN COVER

:arrow: If you are in cover when an enemy moves in for Close Combat, you can React by...

A) Fall Back, by moving away from the enemy at up to full Movement allowance; or

B) Fire at the enemy...after they enemy moves in on you, but before they roll for their Close Combat! Normal Fire Combat is used for that, against the enemy.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:02 pm

:ugeek: So....there you have it! There are some Advanced Rules, but nothing we really need to get into here. The rule book is pretty good...I think it's worth the money for what you get for different Nations' battle stats, and like other same-type skirmish games (i.e., Chain Reaction 3.0 and others), it is definitely a chew them up and spit them out slam-fest, but that's what makes them fast playing!

For the ensuing games here at MWF, this will be the standard Logistics and Q&A thread. I will evolve it as we add or subtract Home Rules.

The thread is now open.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:06 pm

Very nice, Em! Thanks for taking us through it that way.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:50 pm

josta59 wrote:Very nice, Em! Thanks for taking us through it that way.

You're welcome :D

I'm looking at setting up urban diorama for the scenario. So far, no other takers on the battle so it may be you and me!

Return to “Logistics Center”