Discuss Logistics for PbPM Wargames

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WHITE STAR RISING - Q&A Thread

Postby Whiterook » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:44 pm

TRDG wrote:General

Can you go through both types of assaults specifically, per some of my questions in the main game thread please?

ASSAULT COMBAT:

Assault Combat is when you move into someone elses hex, of which combat is resolved immediately. This is a departure from the typical WSR rule that you move, or you fight, but not both; as in this case, you do move and then fight it out. kinda a duel to the death kinda-thing, though you may not necessarily die....but I digress. Each side can have up to their stacking limit; and units entering the enemy hex are considered the Attacker/enemy units in the hex are considered the Defenders.

The Attacker rolls a number of 1d6 = their Assault Factor --> each die rolled > their Assault To Hit number scors a HIT.

But hits aren't applied yet as the Defender gets to retaliate with a counter-attack with a number of 1d6 = their Assault Factor --> each die rolled > their Assault To Hit number scors a HIT. [If the defenders are Disrupted when the attackers entered the hex, their Assault To Hit number for the counter-attack is reduced to 6!]

Now with the combat resolved by dice as outlined above, both sides resolve their hits. So see? Combat is immediate and instantaneous, making Assault Combat vastly different than Ranged Combat. Both players have to receive one hit before they receive two, and must then receive two before they are eliminated. Odd numbers get random choosing for who takes the extra hit.

If the Defender is eliminated, the Attacker remains in the hex.

If the Defender receives MORE hits than the Attacker, the Defender RETREATS one hex, and the Attacker remains in the hex.

If the Defender is not eliminatd and receives < hits than the Attacker, the Attacker retreats to the hex frm whence it came (where he entered the Assault from).

Resolve any possible HQ hits for those Assaults that include HQs.

Now note....if forced to retreat, the Defender must attempt to retreat in a path directly away from the hex from which the Attacker entered the assault hex; and the Defender may not retreat into (A) an enemy-occupied hex r (B) a hex adjacent to an enemy unit (other than the eney that just assaulted the defener). IF YOU CANNOT RETREAT, YOU ARE ELIMINATED!

When either side includes an HQ, the HQ Leadership increases a SINGLE unit's Assault Factor....bit the HQ itself does not attack.

Once the assault is resolved, all are marked Ops Complete.

NOTE....Units whose Assault Factor To Hit number is followed by an asterisk may not INITIATE assault (move into the enemy hex), but MAY counter-attack. And units WITHOUT an Assault Factor may not attack or counter-attack during assault combat...they're sitting ducks and take their pounding and if they survive, retreat indignantly.

Infantry Bonus Agaist AFV's.....

If infantry are attacking ALL AFVs, or defending against an assault where ALL the attacking units are AFVs, the infantry's Assault To Hit number has a -1 drm (i.e., To Hit 4 goes down to 3).

Disrupted do not receive the deliniated bonuses

Infantry Bonus in Cities.....

If infantry are attacking ALL AFVs, or defending against an assault where ALL the attacking units are AFVs; AND the infantry is attacking into, or defending from a CITY HEX, the infantry's Assault To Hit number has a -1 drm (i.e., To Hit 4 goes down to 3) AND increase the Assault Factor (i.e., Assault Factor 3 goes up to 4). That means attacking (or efending against) a stack of AFVs in a city hex increases their assault factor by one and decreases the Assault To Hit number by one....Bottom Line, it's not a good idea for AFVs to assault infantry in a city unless they brong their own infantry support.

Disrupted do not receive the deliniated bonuses

OVERRUN COMBAT:

AFVs can try to overrun soft targets (those unit counters not depicting a vehicle silhouette) in open or hill terrain only, during the AFVs movement. You pay +1 drm in addition to the normal cost of the terrain in which the enemy you're running over occupies; and you must retain enough MF's to exit into one hex beyond (not containing an enemy unit).

The Assault Factor of the AFV(s) is tripled! The enemy fights back too in that same action round, being somewhat simultaneous in scope, but it's Assault Factor IS NOT tripled! ....hits are applied. If the Armor is disrupted or reduced, it has to retreat back from whence it came; if the armor takes 0-hits, it continues into the next hex. Yes, that means you could potentially overun and enemy and not kill it, but with a trebled Assault Factor, that soft target enemy is gonna be limpin' REAL bad inside that hex!

The Attacker rolls triple the number of 1d6 = their Assault Factor --> each die rolled > their Assault To Hit number scors a HIT.

But hits aren't applied yet as the Defender gets to retaliate with a counter-attack the overrunning AFVs with a number of 1d6 = their unmodified Assault Factor --> each die rolled > their Assault To Hit number scors a HIT. [If the defenders were Disrupted BEFORE the the overruning AFVs entered the embattled hex has their Assault To Hit number for the counter-attack is increaseded to 6!]

Now both sides apply the hits. All defending units in the overrun hex must receive one hit before they receive two, and must then receive two before they are eliminated. If the attacking AFVs are disrupted or reduced, they are not allowed to exit the hex and are retreated into the hex from which they entered the overrun hex.

A good order AFV may conduct as many overruns as it's MF allows, but may not overrun the same hex twice in the same impulse (it just looks silly!). AFVs cannot overrun units in improved positions.

Odd numbers get random choosing for who takes the extra hit.

TRDG wrote:Also since assaulting involves movement one can do OP fire, right?

Yup!

TRDG wrote:Next (LOL) what is the reasoning behind an HQ being destroyed then get some "magic" wheels" to insta "move" back to their unit even if it is way beyond their movement rate......??

I'm sure game mechanics, but still, ya know??

Germans perhaps as they were good at ad hock stuff perhaps.

Cheers

Tom

Yes, mechanics of the game system. Basically, WSR utilizes "Leadership" heavily.....in order for the combat units to be able to function (fight and conduct efficient operations) they must be led. The HQ and sHQ are those leadership element....it is they that decide f a unit is in or out of command, based on the number on the yellow lightening bolt (representing the number of hexes away a unit of that formation can be); they contribute to rallying and combat fire. They direct the men. But they can die on the battlefield. If they do die, they need to be replaced....or as Frank said, you'd spend the rest of the game rallying for getting rid of that blasted OOC marker!

But lets look at it from an aesthetics point of view: On the battlefield, soldiers need leaders to organize them and keep them from chaos. If you loose a leader on the battlefield, either someone is going to get a field promotion, or someone is going to be deployed from the rear up to your front lines t assume command. That is what happens in WSR.....a new leader is thrust into thee fray, but as this is into a chaotic situation, the "new" leader will be on it's reduced side! That makes sense....it's not the leader that broke bread with you, that saied to England with you, and trudged all the way frm Omaha Beach with you. Nope, it's some RepoDepo West Pointer that no one kows or trusts....or someone that was your mate and is now your boss. It's not going to be pretty either way.

The reason I placed it where I did when it was eliminated is a quirk of this module in VASSAL....I can't place it just offboard as the 'electronic counter just won't stick', so I had to place it on the board. I figured a board edge would be best and made a judgement call that it would be in the direction the formation entered the board from.

The rules state that the 'replacement' leader will be firstly placed in the same formation sHQs hex with the sHQ removed. If no sHQ is present, it is placed with any unit of the same formation. The 'new' leader was either someone that got a battlefield promotion....or more likely for our purposes, rushed from the read on one hell of a fast jeep pr command car!!!

In that context...it makes sense.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:06 am

Thank you for the Q & A on these items, now it makes a bit more sense.

One last thing on the PG unit.

I understand that if dismounted they have a different "movement. Funny though that the half-tracks would still be with them and they could jump back in, but they are still soft targets, and the h-ts still get the 1 per for a forest move, I know they are empty and all, but still seems strange, so to speak!!

Cheers

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:53 pm

TRDG wrote:Thank you for the Q & A on these items, now it makes a bit more sense.

One last thing on the PG unit.

I understand that if dismounted they have a different "movement. Funny though that the half-tracks would still be with them and they could jump back in, but they are still soft targets, and the h-ts still get the 1 per for a forest move, I know they are empty and all, but still seems strange, so to speak!!

Cheers

Tom

That's true on the movement:

--> When the Panzer Grenadier side is shown (meaning dismounted OUT of their halftracks), the groundpounders are soft targets and have a Movement Factor of '3';

--> And when the PzG's are mounted (meaning they are mounted IN of their halftracks), the SdKfz 251 Haftrack shown, they are hard targets and have a MF of '5'.

As for the halftrack status when the troops are dismounted, think of it this way:

WSR is a Platoon-level game and one counter of panzer grenadiers for example, represents 40-60 men. When mounted, those 40-60 men are all in halftracks and you are just considering the unit a halftrack with the halftracks FP....the PzGrens aboard are literally 'just along for the ride'! and share the fate of the HT. Typically, the 251 carried 2 crew = 12 passengers, so it fits.

When the PzGrens are dismounted, the haltracks are still there but are not fighting, so I guess you could think of them as pulled back but not out of immediate distance. It's artistic licence.

Another thing to keep in mind is the artwork of the boards...it is easy to be fooled that you are looking at one halftrack or a few men in a small copse of woods or tiny hill the size of a garage; but in actuality, you are looking at 40-60 men per counter occupying a large expanse of woods the size of a public park. Artistic license again.

Woods movement:

Costs 1 when the pzGrens are dismounted (face up); and 2 when mounted (251 face up).

Where things get messy:

When mounting or dismounting, the 3 MF needed to perform that action is subtracted from BOTH sides!

Example....

A PzGren unit (has a MF of 3) cannot move one hex (1MF cost) and the mount (which costs 3MF cost to mount) as it wouldn't have enough MFs on its dismounted side to perform the action, even though the 251 halftrack side does (5MF)

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:09 am

What the heck is the deal with moving over a wreck, and shooting at said vehicle that is moving through a wreck hex?

Cheers, I thought you psted something but could'nt find it.....

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:04 pm

TRDG wrote:What the heck is the deal with moving over a wreck, and shooting at said vehicle that is moving through a wreck hex?

Cheers, I thought you psted something but could'nt find it.....

Tom

1.4 STACKING ....Up to 2 combat units can stack in a hex and limitations apply at all times. However, the following DO NOT COUNT AGAINST stacking: Markers, Wrecks, Support Weapons, and Headquarters/subHeadquarters (the later two cannot stack in the same hex).

There is a movement modifier for moving through a wreck; and wrecks can impact LOS in instances such as whet a rough hex and a wreck are combined.

Return to “Logistics Center”