Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lock 'N Load: WHITE STAR RISING - Q&A Thread

Postby Whiterook » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Nations at War: WHITE STAR RISING
Quick Guide

INTRODUCTION:

White Star Rising is a platoon-level combat game late in the Second World War (1944-45). American, British and German troops fight scenarios in the struggle for Western Europe! It is a wargame with a rather unique combat/movement play-order system which is chit-drawn determined. The forces at play are made up of separate formations, to include: One or more Headquarters (HQ); possibly one or more Sub-headquarters (sHQ); and several units (e.g., armor, infantry, artillery, etc.) of that formation. A scenario can have one or more formations per side slugging it out on the battlefield, and each formation is a separate grouped-entity playing independent of the other formations.

SEQUENCE OF PLAY:

The Sequence of Play for any one turn starts with an OPERATIONS PHASE, made up of individual random-draw FORMATION IMPULSES; and concludes the turn with a MARKER REMOVAL PHASE. Then the next turn commences.

An example of a formation would be:
KAMFGRUPPE BECK = 1x HQ, 1x sHQ, 1x Tiger I, 3x Panther, 3x MkIV, 1x StuG, 5x Panzergrenadiers, 1x Formation Marker; with a Morale of 7.

1. Operations Phase

Formation Markers for the combatants assigned the given scenario are placed in an opaque cup; along with two End Turn Markers. These markers are then drawn from the cup one at a time to determine order of play, and since it is random, it matters not which player draws.

a) When a player’s formation marker is drawn, that player MUST activate that whole formation and play out a FORMATION IMPULSE, performing movement, combat, or holding position.

b) When an End Turn marker is drawn, it is held aside; and when the second End Turn marker is drawn, the Operations Phase ends and the Marker Removal Phase begins.

c) If a second end turn marker is drawn before a players’ formation(s) is drawn, that player(s) holds an end turn marker when the next turn’s Operation Phase begins, and holds it until their un-drawn formation marker(s) is drawn, and then returns the end turn marker to the cup immediately after that formation(s) play; in this way ensuring that a formation does not go more than two turns at non-play.

1.1 Formation Impulse – the following action for the formation that turn is performed in exact order:

a) HOUSEKEEPING – Ops Complete Markers from any action taken this turn prior to activation (such as Opportunity Fire) is removed; and remove any Out of Command markers from the previous turn.

b) CHECK COMMAND STATUS – Determine the command status of every unit in the formation, based on distance from it’s HQ or sHQ. Each HQ and sHQ has a Command Range (the number on the lightning bolt of the HQ). If the unit is a number of hexes away that is within that range, they are in Command. If they are outside that range, a Morale Check must be made….pass is in command/fail is out of command.

c) RALLY – Attempt to Rally Disrupted troops in the formation with a roll < 2d6 of the formation’s Morale Value, as printed on the HQ unit. Those that pass have the Disrupted marker remove. All units in the same hex as the formation HQ or sHQ subtract that HQ/sHQ’s Leadership (the printed die pips on the HQ marker) from the dice roll.

d) COMBAT/MOVEMENT OPERATIONS – Units have a Movement factor (MF) printed on the bottom center of their counter and can move a number of hexes equal or less of that MF, accounting for movement costs of the terrain traversed. Movement is voluntary. Units fight with factors of attack versus defense, and resolved trough dice rolling.

2. Marker Removal Phase

Ops Complete Markers are removed from the board; smoke markers are adjusted; eliminated HQ’s are returned (Reduced) to the formation; and formation and end turn markers are returned to the cup.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: WHITE STAR RISING - Q&A Thread

Postby TRDG » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:13 am

Might I know where the Germans might come from, what edge or edges they can choose to deploy?

Cheers, or is that secret?

Tom

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Ok Em, I have got my placement info and seeing as I never played this in my life I have a few questions;

1/ Do forests/built-up areas/rivers/roads affect line of sight or movement.

2/ If terrain does affect movement and we have an option to set up in a hex with a terrain feature in it, can we choose to be either side.

3/ if we set up in a hex, is there a minimum distance that the enemy can set up.

4/ You say we have "Hq`s", are these an actual type of unit or just an abstract command piece.

5/ If we get panzergrenadiers, are these separate units or individual parts of a larger unit, can we separate them. Same with armour, if we get more than one of a tank type, are they a platoon which need to be together or can we separate those.

Cheers,

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Oh, one more thing, (why is it that when Columbo says that you know he is about to do something brilliant, but I just get the feeling that I have missed something obvious :oops: )

Are we attacking or defending our objective, and do we know where the other side are coming from.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:51 pm

Ok, just noticed the rules are at the zone, downloading now, will have a look and get back to everyone as soon as possible.

Frank
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:21 pm

TRDG wrote:Might I know where the Germans might come from, what edge or edges they can choose to deploy?

Cheers, or is that secret?

Tom

I wasn't sure which way to go on this, as the scenario itself doesn't even say for when two players are playing face-to-face. So given the ambiguity, I'll give the following:

North is the top of the board edge (i.e., A01, B01, C01, etc.)

Kampfgruppe Beck will enter amywhere along all hex rows from the town of Celles or right of the town, which is the eastern Edge.

Kampfgruppe Beck Bravo Section will enter via die roll: From either the small area of the road up North (around K01); South in the woods at center (around J11); or East (along the road into celles).

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 pm

Frank wrote:Oh, one more thing, (why is it that when Columbo says that you know he is about to do something brilliant, but I just get the feeling that I have missed something obvious :oops: )

Are we attacking or defending our objective, and do we know where the other side are coming from.

Frank

Germans are attacking....you must control all hexes in Ste. Jeanne to win....all other outcomes are an American vctory. You have 8 turns to seize the objective, so it's gonna be a blood bath (no time for pussy-footing). Personal note: I have played this scenario several times now and I have not yet won as the Germans.

As to where the Americans are.....

507th PIR: Your infallible intelligence office believes there is activity somewhere center board around the road from Celles to Ste. Jeanne and south in those woods?

CAA: You got a report in from a lone HENSCHEL HS 126A-1, HS 126B-1, German Reconnaissance Plane that there are is a lot of dust and action happening from those huge forrested areas east of Chatereux and Ste. Jeanne, back to the west of the board.

NOTE: A little story telling to get the point across :lol:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Frank wrote:Ok Em, I have got my placement info and seeing as I never played this in my life I have a few questions;

1/ Do forests/built-up areas/rivers/roads affect line of sight or movement.

Yes, and yes. I will be sending a chart for Terrain Effects (TEC), as well as a chart that explains unit stats for firepower strength, movement allowance, etc. The guidance I sent earlier to you PM (did that work better than email?) gives more info on this, however some interesting notes: Roads do not have a movement bonus in this game, such as 1/2 cost as seen in other games...but it does cancel the movement cost f the other terrain in the hex, as long as you're moving along the road. Sittting on or in back of ridges is a little tricky. LOS is pretty standard from other other games.

Frank wrote:2/ If terrain does affect movement and we have an option to set up in a hex with a terrain feature in it, can we choose to be either side.

You are subject to the terrain features bonuses or restrictions period....no choices. The only wiggle room I've seen is, whether you're moving along a road or not.

Frank wrote:3/ if we set up in a hex, is there a minimum distance that the enemy can set up.

Technically, one hex away. They cannot set up in the same hex....you have tophysically MOVE INTO an enemy hex and conduct Assault or Overun in order to spend any time in that hex.

Frank wrote:4/ You say we have "Hq`s", are these an actual type of unit or just an abstract command piece.

HEADQUARTERS (HQ)
The game plays with "Formations", since this a Platoon-level game. Kampfgruppe Beck is a formation. Kampfgruppe Beck Bravo section is another formation. HQ units (the individual chits) are the formation headquarters. In this scenario, kampfgruppe Beck has a HQ (headquarters) chit; and Bravo section has a sHQ (sub-headquarters) chit. Those HQ and sHQ chits must be in a hex with units of it's type, and move with them at all times...they cannot sit alone, as they have NO combat skills themselves, but rather add to or affect it's unit(s) it is stacked with. They

HQs represent 3-10 individuals and/or—depending on the type of platoon—1-2 AFVs. Again, it is crucial to remember that Headquarters must remain in a hex with a unit or units of its formation, may only move when accompanied by a unit or units of its formation, and if all units in a HQs hex are eliminated, the headquarters is also. Headquarters do not count against stacking limitations, but no more than one headquarters or sub-headquarters may be in a hex. To fight efficiently, a formation must be within the command range of its (same named) headquarters. Headquarters cannot be directly targeted.

SUB-HEADQUARTERS (SHQ)
Sub-headquarters represent a headquarters section, perhaps the formation’s executive officer or second in command. A unit of the sHQ’s formation that is within the command range of the sHQ is in command as long as the sHQ is in command. Subheadquarters function like headquarters in all respects except for the following:

• A sHQ must be in command to command other units. A sHQ is considered in command (4.2) at up to twice their headquarters’ printed command range.

• A sHQ is a single step unit and may not be replaced when destroyed.

• A sHQ does not have a morale value. Like the other units in the formation, it uses the formation
headquarters’ morale, even after the formation HQ is eliminated.

Frank wrote:5/ If we get panzergrenadiers, are these separate units or individual parts of a larger unit, can we separate them. Same with armour, if we get more than one of a tank type, are they a platoon which need to be together or can we separate those.

Each Panzergrendier unit (chit) represents a platoon of between 40-60 men, 1 cat, and a few liberated chickens. OK, I embellished a little....40-60 cats. Errrr, men. You cannot separate a chit, unless you do so with a knife, and I'll be pissed. Those 40-60 cats live or die together....no splitting. However, if you have two platoons of cats (2 chits), they can start moving in a stack the began in, and split off in a subsequent hex (most games do not allow this, and I think it's a very cool feature. The cats like it too!). Same with cat cans.

NOTE: As a side note....you can only stack two in a hex, per side. The exceptions are, Markers, Wrecks, Support Weapons, and HQ/sHQ units do not count against stacking limits. HQ and sHQ units cannot stack in the same hex.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 am

Will you perhaps have a time limit per PM order Em?

Cheers

Tom

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks for the clarifications, I now have a vague (very) idea of what we are doing, I have Pm`d Chris with some thoughts so, hopefully, we should have a plan soon :? .

Frank
Gandalf the Grey

Return to “Logistics Center”