Petners Panzers

Completed Miniatures and Miniature Wargaming Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Petners Panzers

Postby Hagen » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Until a couple months ago I had never heard of Petners Panzers until I went to my favorite hobby store in Green Bay. There in a box were a bunch of bagged kits, all Soviet T72's in 1/87th or also HO scale.

There weren't many parts to them and looking for something different I grabbed one. When I got it home I realized it was made for wargaming as the instructions have a simple set of rules printed on them.

Now there is not much to this kit and whoever bagged it made a few mistakes and omissions, first I had two leftside track and roadwheels, this was remedied fairly easily by some cutting and trimming of one set. Also some parts were missing, the commanders hatch being one of them, again an easy fix with some styrene sheet. I had to make a couple of searchlights and made a white glue "bag" where the main gun goes into the turret.

I enjoyed this kit and hopefully Dolly will have some left the next time I visit. Now for some pictures.

And here's a small bit I found online for Robert Petner and his panzers, I personally wish he could have kept em coming.
http://www.87thscale.info/petner.htm

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Petners Panzers

Postby Frizzenspark » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Wow, I haven't seen these since the late eighties... I collected Roco tanks; they did NATO tanks and other vehicles (I had to use AMX-30s to represent Soviet tanks). but did not produce Warsaw Pact vehicles.... I was delighted when I found these.....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:43 am

Frizzenspark wrote:Wow, I haven't seen these since the late eighties... I collected Roco tanks; they did NATO tanks and other vehicles (I had to use AMX-30s to represent Soviet tanks). but did not produce Warsaw Pact vehicles.... I was delighted when I found these.....

I think it a scale that would have some promise for wargaming. I looked into Roco tanks years ago but didn't really like the looks of them. A number of years back now already a model magazine had a write up on their new PanzerIVH that looked pretty good. But they must have gone out of business shortly after that.

As I said I had fun with this T72 but not being a builder of Soviet armor I can't really speak for accuracy but to me it looks the part. It came with the smoke dischargers as individual pieces but with no locating holes. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get them lined up correctly. So after talking to forum friend at another site who was an officer cadet in the East German Army he told me that there T72's didn't have the dischargers on them anyway. So East German it is. I painted the figure black as DDR panzer crews wore a black coverall, I chickened out on painting the national emblem on the turret. :D

I see by the pictures I need a bit of touch up and a bit of black pastel where the exhaust is on the hull side behind the turret. But looking at the pictures I'm quite pleased with the way my white glue dust cover came out! :)

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:49 pm

I really like the looks of these....your tank has a fair bit of detail to it. The scale is a bit intimidating for me :) but I see the value.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Intimidating!?!? do you mean too big or too small..... :lol:
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Frizzenspark wrote:Intimidating!?!? do you mean too big or too small..... :lol:

Considering I'm a 15mm guy, too big :oops:

Then again, I'm an HO modelrailroader, so it may be just right :roll:

Then again, I'm a 1/35 Scale Modeller, so it may be too small :shock:

What was the question again??? :?:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning