My 6mm world

Completed Miniatures and Miniature Wargaming Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My 6mm world

Postby Hagen » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Well at least the start of it! These are GHQ's Terrain Maker styrofoam hexes they are 4 inches across. They come in different thickness's, I have the 1/2 inch which is your basic flat land hex and I also bought the 1/4 inch to make rivers with.

Pretty easy to tell how you cut up a 1/4 inch hex and stack on top of another to make rivers.

The pine tree's are bump chenille, this comes with the Terrain Maker Hexes, the maple tree (red) is made with a apprx. 3 inch piece of picture hanging wire, you tease out the individual strands make branches then I glued some Woodland Scenics fall foliage to it and pushed it into the hex to a height I liked. The groundwork itself is some shredded foam material I can't even remember where I got it from and the bushes and shrubs are again a Woodland Scenics product. It's all painted with some cheap paints you can pick up at your local big box store for .99 cents in a four ounce bottle.

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: My 6mm world

Postby Double Deuce » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:30 am

I know a while back when GHQ first started releasing these there were some issues with them not lining up well (crooked cutting of the hexes). Have you encountered this or do they seem to fit together pretty well now?

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:49 am

I had these when they first came out, I was pretty happy with them. There is the natural gapping between the hexes, but once you get quite a few in the ground, this won't be noticeable.

These a very adaptable, the instructions are useful in helping with design selection...

wait till you get to the hills and the mountains :)
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:52 am

Double Deuce wrote:I know a while back when GHQ first started releasing these there were some issues with them not lining up well (crooked cutting of the hexes). Have you encountered this or do they seem to fit together pretty well now?

I can't really speak for then but now there are some small gaps on some.

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:55 am

Frizzenspark wrote: I was pretty happy with them.

I'm pretty happy with them also, I'm having fun building and designing my battlefield. :)

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:13 am

To make these cost-effective there will be slight imperfections; I doubted that they'd be able to do a "New and Improved" on this product. There are cheaper alternatives, but you lose versatility.

I could see them being used for 15mm figures and smaller (smaller is better). The key utility with these sets is that you can build the terrain both up and down, since you have a base elevation to work up and down to.
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Frizzenspark wrote:I had these when they first came out, I was pretty happy with them.

Did you wargame in 6mm? If so what did you think of 6mm wargaming?

Hagen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Hagen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Starting on a river bend, river crossing and road junction. Not to happy right now with my ditch lines, may just fill them in with vegetation.

You can buy bridges from GHQ but I'm going to put my scratch building to the test I think. :)

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Back in the Eighties and early Nineties I collected mostly Modern (for that time) Micro Armour 1/285th Scale CinC and GHQ stuff... I gave most of my collection, including most of the AH classic boardgames to a good friend. I was fairly newly married and had limited storage....

Something had to give, it was my collection, my Geo Hex terrain was part of it.... :(

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Your ditches look okay..... I over did mine, they were practically trenches....

a Dremel with a sander comes in pretty handy....

I agree about the bridges, at this point they're a luxury... a small section of cardboard would get the point across, more effective looking bridges are only slightly more complicated.....

Return to “Member's Showcase”