Custom Memoir '44 Lend-Lease Russian P-40 Warhawk

Completed Miniatures and Miniature Wargaming Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Custom Memoir '44 Lend-Lease Russian P-40 Warhawk

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Custom Memoir '44 P-40 as a Lend-Lease Russian P-40 Warhawk in Winter Camouflage

I guess this would actually qualify as (in actuality) the first miniatures I ever painted....though, I don't consider them as such in terms of Flames of War, Command decision, Ancients, etc. These were done sometime around 2007.

The game company Days of Wonder has a wonderfull World War II game called Memoir '44, and one of their expansion packs was the [b]Air Pack, which introduced airplanes to the game. Memoir '44 has plastic miniatures in 10mm for their tanks, and 1:72 for the Infantry, which are cast in fairly soft plastic. The detail is pretty nice actually, for a game that is technically not a miniatures game, but until the Air Pack, the pieces were molded in a solid color...grey for Axis, and Green for Allies.

The Air Pack changed all that, and the company released the planes as pre-painted miniatures. And I have to admit, they did a rather stellar job of it, too! I'm not entirely sure what their scale would be, but it is of a similar range as the armor I would guess. The expansion comes with 8 planes of different nations. And if you are happy with the ones that they chose (and most people would be), then all is great. But as is a Gamer's perogative, a different nation, or camouflage pattern may be desired, and this is where this thread comes in!

Days of Wonder had a contest, in which they put random un-painted planes in a gaming trade publication, called Game Trade Magazine (or, GTM), which you got to paint yourself and submit in the contest at the game company's web site forum. I actually tracked down two magazines, ironically both of which had the same plane (so much for random!)...the P-40 Warhawk. Now, keep in mind that this was before the game's release, and most of us (M44 gamers) had no clue what the finished game's planes actually looked like, so we were on our own entirely to choose what paint scheme and nation we wanted to portray! Now, even though the planes I'm about to show you on this thread were unpainted, the same method would work on the painted versions that come with the game. In fact, talking to diehard Memoir '44 players, many have told me that they intended to buy two games for just such a purpose. (I actually won a Runner Up placing with one of my entries, of which the prize was an Air Pack expansion; but I have not yet painted any in a different scheme.....more a lack of time thing, than a lack of desire.....and I really like the patterns they chose in the expansion pack, to boot!).

I decided on two different nations for mine. This was the first one (and the one that won a Runner Up slot), and I decided to go with something completely different, and painted the P-40 as a Lend-Lease Russian P-40 Warhawk in Winter Camouflage. I started by wrapping some tape around the end of a toothpick (sharp end removed) and then mounting the plane, which has a hole in the base for mounting on a clear plastic stand, upon the toothpick. This acted as a sort of handle, so that I could paint the plane, and then prop it in styrofoam to dry.

M44 Painting Contest 007.jpg

I used a brand of Acrylic Paint called Plaid, with their "For Plastics" line, which boasts that the paint is made to adhere directly to plastic. In truth, their other line of Folk Art paint, which I use on my regular models sometime, would appear to be capable of doing the exact same thing, but it was the first time I bought Acrylics for use on miniatures, and before I re-discovered model kit building again (after a hiatus of nearly three decades). The paint adhered beautifully. I used a base coat of Krylon Fusion spray paint...a spray paint that molecularly bonds to the plastic. In hind-sight, it was after spraying the Krylon that it came to me that whether or not the Plaid For Acrylics is made for plastics or not didn't mean a hill of beans, as the plastic was now covered! Dah! Hey, it was a learning process...and in the end, I believe that pretty much all the Plaid line of Acrylic paints are pretty much the same (to me, anyhow), so they didn't go to waste, as I still use them on some of my modeling!

M44 Painting Contest 003.jpg

M44 Painting Contest 002.jpg
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Memoir '44 Lend-Lease Russian P-40 Warhawk

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

Now painting these little beasts was a whole new adventure to me at the time.....namely, age has taken it's toll on what I am able to see clearly when painting miniatures

That was not a happy discovery!

But I soldiered on. I used a Loew-Cornell 5/0 "Spotter" brush to paint the camo pattern in colors that I mixed from scratch. I had done a little research in patterns and colors, and not a lot was out there that I could find at the time, but enough to get the job done. I took Artistic License in methodology, but tried to stay as true to reality as possible. The red stars were the toughest, as they are really small! The undercoat is grey, which came up nicely around the seams of the cockpit. The tail fin and nose were again, Artistic License, and I felt it followed the spirit of the example. I was most proud of the "flaking" on the forward wing edges.....I wanted this plane to look "used" and weathered, and not "off the show room floor". The last thing was to apply a sealer, and I again turned to Plaid For Plastics line, which had a sealer. It gave the piece a bit more of a shine than I would have preferred...and I later discovered that the expansion pack's planes all come in a flat matte finish. But no nevermind to me....it's all good!

This is the finished product of the lendleased P-40 Warhawk, and Runner Up in the Days of Wonder Air pack Plane Painting Contest 2007

DSC00051.jpg

This is definitely one of the smallest things I've ever painted! I only wish I could get my hands on unpainted versions of the memoir '44 Airpack to paint!!!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Member's Showcase”