ADDING REALITY

Completed Miniatures and Miniature Wargaming Components

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ADDING REALITY

Postby MAGNA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:12 am

wasn't sure where to post this as it is a game in progress but I wasn't doing an AAR for it as I didn't
start documenting early enough.

The point of interest with this one is that the terrain was modelled by John to match a battlefield as it
was during the American Civil War. I don't know the exact location or battle itself but it involved a
Union movement through a peninsular ? The Union General in charge was Meade I think. Not helping
much here am I. I'll find out if anyone wants to know.

The terrain itself sits on base boards with the hills being made from packing foam and the roads sort
of gouged into the foam. The whole thing fits together well and was visually appealing. The photos' I
took are ok but don't really do the whole thing justice.

The 15mm figures tended to slide a bit on the hills at times which was interesting for movement but
that didn't matter too much. The units in this rule set are brigades too which means they are quite
large.

The rules are once again the Fire and Fury set which I am told inspired a lot of people to play civil
war games. The set is interesting as each movement roll encompasses morale and therefore what
each unit will do in a turn. Sometimes your best laid plans just don't happen because a unit won't
move or if in bad shape could even leave for home. Never mind.

It all goes along nicely as a game and my side lost as usual due to some exceptional rolls by the
opposition at the right times and the fact that we didn't fully coordinate our moves. Next time will
be different (how many times do we say that?).

The terrain also features creeks, woods, and some swamps which in the real area made things
difficult as far as moving from one flank to another. The best part of this setup was the marking of
the treelines. A lot of games have the difficulty of where cover starts and finishes according to a
patch of trees or a cloth under the trees. It isn't always easy to match up. This game also featured
no hidden movement - no maps necessary.

The bush if you like was shown by light brown paint with green splotches and the clear areas being
all green. This made it very easy to work out who could fire at who and whether a unit was moving
slower due to the ground. A recommended method in my book.

Have a look at the pics and see what you think. The work that went into this has paid off with the
game being far more enjoyable visually and less complicated for fire and movement.

left.jpg

Our side was the Confederates so this is a view from the left rear of the battlefield from our
perspective. You can clearly see the brown/green patches which show the exact edges of wooded areas.
My get up and go never got here in the first place

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ADDING REALITY

Postby MAGNA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 am

right.jpg

Here is a view from the right side showing the nasty Union redoubts on the creek line. Ray managed
to show our team how to clear most of the union troops out by the end of the game but one of their
brigades was still ensconced so we missed out on points. This was a hard nut to crack. A couple
of tanks would have been handy.

centre.jpg

Here is the centre near the end of the game. Note the infantry units have the flag bearer in the front
centre. This was handy for me as I tend to end up with half my units facing the wrong way in 15mm
( I'm old and blind, what's your excuse?).

Each unit has a black square attached to one figure set. This goes at the right rear of any multiple
figure unit which is handy to show where each unit finishes. Cannon batteries are one figure but
still have the card as do Generals. AP Hill is in this picture as you can see and has a card attached
to show what type of leader he is. For multiple figure units the black card shows the troop numbers
for a unit as they started the game so you can tell whether they are spent or worn and what type of
leader they have. If the leader is killed or captured this is rubbed off the card. Simple and effective.
We lost quite a few leaders in this game which has an effect on close combat.

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:32 am

left middle.jpg

Halfway across the board on the left. Again closer to the end of the game. All my cannons managed to
stay intact and I ended up with five batteries firing at one unfortunate Union brigade. Nasty.

left tocentre.jpg

Same area looking towards the centre of the battle. heaps of Confederate troops are moving up but
they couldn't get there in time to help much. Union brigades were also coming on from the other side.

centre looking right.jpg

From the centre looking to the right. Those flags are even better when you see them live.This is a
view along the creek fortifications a move or so before most of the Union troops got thrown out (at
long last) . If you look closely at most of the pics you can see Union cannon every where. This
historically matches the industrial strength of the Union. Normally cannon don't play a massive role in
these games but this time they caused us some wicked damage as many were able to concentrate fire.
We lost at least three batteries to enemy cannons and our infantry suffered badly as well. Granted this
also required rolls of nine or ten at times which the Union side seemed to manage a lot at critical
stages in the first half of the game. There was talk of one particular D10 being melted down so the
opposition would never be able to use it again. All in all though a really good battlefield with a good
"feel" to it.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:48 pm

With Meade, it would likely be Gettysburg; though it could very well be a generic battle.....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

MAGNA
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MAGNA » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Yes the battlefield is currently remodelled and being used for a WWII jungle game.

I asked our civil war aficionado and the actual terrain is modelled on the battle at Gaines Mill ( I think that's it).

No doubt it will be used again in the future.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:06 pm

That was actually quite an important battle (or more accurately, part of a series of battles) for the Confederates, which foiled the Union's plan to lay siege to the Confederate capital of Richmond. As I recall...the Confederates had their share of issues with the plan to attack McClellan's flank and rear, and Stonewall Jackson's bad luck after confirming the weak point but not able to take advantage of it.

But the result of a bloody intense battle was McClellan's abandoning his advance of the Army of the Potomac on Richmond and retreating to the James River....where McClellan moved his base of supply; a move that handcuffed McClellan from being capable of even supplying a siege on Richmond should the tide even turn!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Member's Showcase”