Stargate SG-1 'Gate' - Tutorial

Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stargate SG-1 'Gate' - Tutorial

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:01 pm

This is a step-by-step guide to my method of painting a Stargate SG-1 miniature Stargate.

As part of my Stargate SG-1 miniatures game that I am designing, this is a 4" OD metal miniature stargate, bought from Bergstrom Studios (Star Warp Gate - Studio Bergstrom Catalog) for $15.00 USD, along with an Event Horizon for $2.00 USD. It is a beautifully crafted miniature, and will really make this game special. This was the first item to be painted for the miniature game.

Stargate unfinished 1.JPG

Stargate unfinished 2.JPG

I decided to start with a base coat of black acrylic paint on the 'Gate. I was lucky in that the 'Gate really didn't need any cleaning of mold lines or injection venting, and was ready for paint right off the bat! I used Folk Art Acrylics, which dry to a matt finish and I didn't need to thin the paint any, as it comes out of the bottle (squirt bottle-type) in a nice consistency that is not too thin, not to thick....I am able to apply several light, thin coats without hiding detail.

My technique was to brush on the black acrylic basecoat in a single light coat, making sure that the paint first of all got deep down into nooks, crannies, and recesses; but also being wary not to make it too thick so as not to loose any of that fine detail in a puddle of dried paint! I'm painting, not spackling!!! One has to not work the surface too much, as the acrylic will start to dry out and peel up. But at the same time, I brushed on lightly enough over each few strokes to make sure there weren't any brush lines. Yeah, I know...this is so small (4" OD) what does it matter? It matters...to me.

Stargate finishing 1.JPG

Stargate finishing 2.JPG

Getting the paint into those nooks and crevices is real hard on a brushing, as you need to almost 'jab' it in there in most spots, which really wears down synthetic brushes! The benefit of these synthetic brushes, however, is that I pick them up at Ocean State Job Lot, which is a bargain outlet here on the Northeast US, and I get packs of brushes dirt cheap (around $5 for half a dozen assorted sizes). I go in on an angle to get the paint in those crevices, and then use horizontal flat strokes to cover the surfaces and smooth.

I started by painting one whole side...it was the Pegasus Galaxy's 'Gate symbols side, in fact; and then the opposite side, the Milky Way Galaxy's 'Gate symbols. I then painted the inside, and then the outside, with the edge of the brush. I used a #10 synthetic flat brush, aiming in on an angle to get the paint in the nooks, and then flat horizontal brush strokes to smooth and feather......
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate SG-1 'Gate' - Tutorial

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Then came the Drybrushing!

First, a mix of black and white Folk Art acrylics, blended into a medium gray, which simulates the darker aspects of the 'Gate as seen on the show. I will detail more brights in afterwards, but this is the first steps. I mixed a generous puddle of paint, and then used a folded paper shop-type towel to take the paint off the brush and leave just enough behind on the brush to do the job. These shop towels BTW...the blue stuff you get in hardware stores...are great because they are stronger than regular paper towels, and not as "linty".

Shop Towel Palette.JPG

Using light horizontal strokes to gently drag the brush accross the surface, the techniques' aim is to put paint on the surface, and not get too much, if any, in the cracks (some will get in there, no matter how hard you try, so chill!). I applied one coat to one side, and then would do the other side...holding the 'Gate by the edges; which this little sucker is HEAVY, so I actually found my fingers getting a little cramped!

Since I was putting so light a drycoat on, it dried very fast. I was able to put three very light coats, alternating sides, and then brush a single thicker coat on the inside and outside. Basically, when painting metal, the first coat is going to look real "watered down" and streaky...a lot of metal is going to show through. It (to me) is imperative not to get tempted to lay a heavier coat on to get more opacity, as all that will get you is lost details!

Stargate finishing 3.JPG

Stargate finishing 4.JPG

Stargate finishing 5.JPG

Stargate finishing 6.JPG

Stargate finishing 7.JPG

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:17 pm

The Stargate was then finished!

It really came together nicely, and I am extremely happy with the results. How did I get there? After the point I left off at with the gray background coats, I next drybrushed "Metallic Aluminum" over all surfaces...Folk Art Acrylics, once again...but didn't totally cover up the underlying black and grays; this was more highlighting the surfaces so as to give an "otherworldy" sheen to it. This also made the 'glyphs pop!

Next came the chevrons:

I started with drybrushing Tamiya Acrylics "Orange" on the inner 'V', and outer 'V' portions, which serves as the back glow of the lit chevrons. It took two coats to get the depth of tone I desired, as the Tamiya Acrylics are so darned watery; and I use Tamiya simply 'cause I had the ready made orange in just the right shade and hue, without requiring me to mix up my own from Folk Art Acrylics.

After these dried, I drybrushed yellow Folk Art Acrylics at the very top of the inner 'V', which is the main light of the chevrons. The yellow was a mixture of a deep yellow right out of the bottle; followed by a second application of yellow, lightened up with some white to make a creamy yellow hue. The goal was to have a very bright light at the top of the inner 'V', diffusing to an orange glow deeper down into the chevrons.

Here is the finished Stargate for the SG1 scenarios I'm planning...

Finished Stargate 1.JPG

Finished Stargate 2.JPG

And this is the side that is playable with Stargate Atlantis...

Finished Atlantis Stargate.JPG

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:21 pm

The Event Horizon is in place and it simulates an active gate quite nicely! The water effect can slip in and out fairly easily, so I'll be able to simulate an active or non-active 'Gate!!!

Milky Way Galaxy Stargate...

Milky Way Stargate.JPG

Pegasus Galaxy Stargate...

Prgasus (Atlantis) Stargate.JPG

I really like the way the Event Horizon sets the piece alive!!!

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 pm

that is cool
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:12 pm

It'll look pretty cool on the diorama!!! I plan on building a full Eyptianesque world dio to battle on!!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:04 pm

This is probably, the most impressive piece of tech I have for the miniatures games' diorama. Some of the Egyptian palace items I have will come close but, this will likely remain the gem of the treasure trove! The Event Horizon is really cool....does the job nicely!

Return to “Follow As I Build”