Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures - Tutorial 2

Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures - Tutorial 2

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:27 pm

This is a second step-by-step tutorial to my method of painting Stargate SG-1 miniature "Serpent Guards".

As mentioned before....this is part of the Stagate SG-1 Miniatures game I am designing, some of the miniatures represented in the game will be the evil (depending on your perspective) Serpent Guards that do the dirty work for the Goa'uld System Lords!

I decided to try a little something different with this next batch of four; not that I didn't like the way the other batch came out, 'cause I did actually...but everything can always stand a little improvement, or in the case, simplification. I wasn't sure, after finishing up with the other ones, how necessary the gray coat was...especially where I painted Folk Art Acrylics "Metallic Aluminum" over it. So for the batch, I decided to skip the gray coat.

As last time, I did start with a basecoat of black, with Folk Art paint; same technique as earlier, which worked out really well (by the way, I also started on all the Jaffa and First Prime at the time, as well, which you will see in the background).....

DSC01565.jpg

Next, I went straight to adding on the Metallic Aluminum coat to the whole figure. What I found was, I believe this saved a lot more of the dark black in the nooks and crannies, so this is probably my preferred method. Basically, it only needed the one coat.....

DSC01568.jpg

And next was the coat of Folk Art Acrylic "Metallic Pure Gold". Both the aluminium and gold paintings were done drybrush, same technique as earlier....

DSC01583.jpg

And a better shot of just the second batch of Serpent Guards.....

DSC01591.jpg

It's of course much easier and time effective to do as many figures as I have patience to withstand. As I REALLY didn't want to screw up my SG-1 Team, these will wait until the others are painted up first....the proverbial, Best for last!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures - Tutorial 2

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Here's a little comparison, BTW....these first two pictures are from batch #2 (keep in mind that they ahven't had the red glowing eyes put on yet!)......

DSC01592.jpg

DSC01593.jpg

And these next two pictures are from batch #1, and I think if you look closely, you'll agree that there are more darks on the second batch above!

By skipping the gray middle coat, I think it made the black "cleaner"; whereas before, the gray coat followed by the metallic aluminum coat just ended up being a little too much paint for the figures to bear.....

20090910_24.jpg

20090910_7.jpg

Mind you, both batches (I think) came out real well, and I am totally happy with both of them. I do like batch #2 better, though.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:39 pm

On the second batch, again, the eyes haven't been filled in yet, and I was trying to decide at the time whether to go with flesh hands or gold metallic gloves.

I still need to base them, in the same manner as the first batch, and matte coat them for a protective exterior.

And as an aside, here are some shots of where all this action was taking place, my basement workshop where I do the majority of my model kit building, and miniatures work.....

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:42 pm

As with the other batch of Serpent Guards, basing was done with spackle; you can just see the spackle jar in the background of the following picture......

20090917_1.jpg

20090917_3.jpg

20090917_6.jpg

20090917_8.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Spackle was spread on the bases, sand tamped in and allowed to dry....

20090917_7.jpg

20090917_8.jpg

20090917_12.jpg

And then Folk Art Acrylics "Desert Sand" painted on....

20090917_16.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:48 pm

Touched up the bases a little, then cleaned off the excess spackle and paint off of the rims of the bases......

20090919_1.jpg

Next was some sealer on the base's sand texture. I use a mixture of Elmer's White Glue and water!

20090919_7.jpg

I mix a good portion of white glue to water (more water than glue) in a RX pills container, which you can beg to get from the drugstore if you aren't lucky enough to be taking meds yet (be patient, you will....in time!). I get the easy-off caps, 'cause....well....they're easy off! And unlike their screw-off cousins, these will not spill liquid when shaken. So, once you have your ingredients, simply shake up and dollop on!

20090919_8.jpg

I have an old acrylic flat brish that I use to paint on the glue mixture.

20090919_6.jpg

The basic technique involves dipping the brush into the liquid (I dip right past the ferule), dab the bristles quickly and lightly on a paper towel to take some of the mixture off, and then tamp lightly on the paint surface; you can also lightly drag the brush horizontally...drawing back in a flat manner...to take out any airbubbles that sometimes form. When dry, the water/glue mixture is clear and hard, and pretty matte. It's a nice, non-toxic soltion, which also adds a nice protective coat to the part of the figure most susceptible to chipping and gouging. Try it out!

And the finished product.....

20090919_3.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:52 pm

WOW...six year old thread and no one comments. Guess Serpent Guards catch no love!

Return to “Follow As I Build”