Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures - Tutorial 1

Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures - Tutorial 1

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:10 pm

This is a step-by-step tutorial to my method of painting Stargate SG-1 miniature "Serpent Guards".

As part of the Stagate SG-1 Miniatures game I am designing, some of the miniatures represented in the game will be the evil (depending on your perspective) Serpent Guards that do the dirty work for the Goa'uld System Lords!

These are fantastic miniatures with fine detail, that were originally released by Phoenix Icons, which was a company in the United Kingdom that held the license to reproduce these Stargate Miniatures; but they no longer make these, so getting your hands on them is pretty hard, and becoming harder!!! They are 28mm scale.

They are finely cast in pewter, and being cast is such, need cleaning of flash and venting, as well as straightening (very carefully) of the staff weapons. The flash scrapes down very easily, and the flash cuts off smoothly...using a #11 Blade X-Acto hobby knife; but one needs to be a bit careful not to over do the scraping of flash, or slip in the cutting of the venting, as detail can be lost in an instant. The work went very quickly and with no mishaps!

Cleaned up.....

20090907_3.jpg

Next went on the black basecoat, done with Folk Art Acrylics...same as used on the 'Gate (see other thread in this section), and a light touch is again needed so as not to puddle paint into the nooks and crannies. These miniatures have a lot of fine detail, which includes chainmail, so lots of little small dimples! The #10 brush used was synthetic, and I needed to angle into the miniatures with the head of the brush in order to seat the paint in the nooks and crannies; and then use horizontal strokes to smooth out the surface, and dig some of that paint OUT of the nooks and crannies....it'll pool up in there no matter how careful you are, but as long as you keep at it before anything sets up dry, you'll be just fine!

20090907_4.jpg

And then a layer of gray drybrushing went on top, using the flat of the brush to draw the paint over the surface, leaving the nooks and crannies as untouched as possible.

In drybrushing, you load the brush with paint, wipe off the majority onto a rag.....I use the shop paper towels bought in hardware stores, as they hold up better to abuse, and aren't as "linty"......

20090907_6.jpg

The paint is once again, Folk Art Acrylics, and the mixture was that of white and black mixed into a dark gray......

20090907_7.jpg

This will provide a nice undercoat, upon which I plan to place silver metalics, gold metalics, and red for the eyes.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:24 pm

These are the first pewter infantry-style miniatures I've ever painted, and it was a good learning experience. Unlike 15mm armor and vehicles, these have much finer detail to be conscious of, even in 28mm scale...such as the chainmail and intricate Serpent helmets. This was some of the closest, finest detail work I've ever done with a brush! But I digress and back to the job at hand.....

Following on to the previous black and gray coats, I next added "Metallic Aluminum" Folk Art Acrylic to the overall figure in drybrush fashion, lightly dragging the #10 flat synthetic brush horizontally over the surface. The goal was to leave the deep blacks in the nooks and crannies...especially the chainmail...and leave a little of the dark gray to shine through the Metallic Aluminum.

Next came the tricky part: Applying "Metallic Pure Gold" Folk Art Acrylic paint in a dabbing method, which coats the Serpent helmet, cowl, dragon scale armor, and boots; yet leaving the chainmail and weapon alone. And the last item to paint were the Serpent 'eyes', which glow red, so these were painted Folk Art Acrylic "Red", with a fine detail round brush.

Detail work at it's closest!

I wanted much of the Metallic Aluminum to blend with the Metallic Pure Gold...a melding of the two colors in a very alien-like swirl of unknow material! I think I achieved it.....

20090910_4.jpg

The thing about Serpent Guards is, they appeared differently on screen, and on the movie "Stagate". Some of them looked more dark silver, and some of them had more gold. Lighting in the show played a big effect on this. What it comes down to is Artistic License.....what looked good to me, and would show up well on a diorama. The pattern and coloration you see here are perfectly within the scope of acceptability.

The next stage was to seal the miniatures, which I used "Krylon Matte Finish" spray...this is great stuff, but just make sure to either wear a respirator, or hold your breath and run for the hills (I recommend the former!).

I needed to get the figures to stand up, so I took a small piece of foam, cut four slits into it, and then pressed the miniature bases into the slits. That's one of the benefits of these figures.... the flat bar-like base, which slips into a black plastic base with a slot. Anyway, once these figures were mounted into the foam, I placed the foam into a shallow walled cardboard box and lightly sprayed them, and let them dry overnight.

20090913_18.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Here are some closeup pictures of each of the four figures.....

20090910_5.jpg

20090910_6.jpg

20090910_7.jpg

20090910_8.jpg

That last picture shows the red glowing eyes the best!!! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:30 pm

So, the miniature figures are painted and sealed...now, the bases.

The downside of these bases are, the flat bar of the miniature fits in the slot of the plastic base and the figure is wobbly. I am sure some use them this way....not me. I decided to try an experiment:

First, I dug out a brand new jar of Spackle I had just recenly bought. This is a great quality "quick spackle", which comes in a pinkish hue when wet, and dries white, for obvious reasons.....

20090910_9.jpg

These are the bases for the miniature figures, with the slot in the top.....

20090910_10.jpg

20090910_11.jpg

Basically, the plan was to smear a light coating of spackle onto the top of the base like a cupcake! I dug out a Artist paint mixing 'knife' to use as the spreader. I laid out the spackle in a fairly thin coat, and used the edge of the knife to make sure the spackle didn't carry down the side, and tried to achieve a slight bevel to the ends......

20090910_12.jpg

Looks delicious!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:35 pm

I then gently pressed each of the miniatures' flat-bar base into a plastic disc base, ensuring that the boots weren't 'sunk in the mud' too far...don't want all that nice detail disappearing now, do I?!?

I then used the paint mixing knife and a tooth pick to spread the spackle around the feet of the figure and over the slot. This sealed the figure onto the disc base; and also, the bit of spackle that squeezed through the slot when positioning the miniature onto the base clumped underneat the base, and when dry, will serve as a anchor.

I then used a squirt bottle filled with crafting sand (bought at Michael's Craft Store), and squirted some sand onto the spackle, and used the paint mixing knife to scoop some out of the bottle and more strategically place some of the sand. By this point, the spackle was starting to set up....you can see the top two pictures coming up have a lot of pink in it, whereas the bottom two are more white. Since this was such a light coat layer, it dried fairly quick, but not so quick as to make me hurry needlessly. So next, I gently pressed the sand into the spackle with my fingers.

Last in this stage, I made sure the miniature figures were all standing upright in just the correct position, and then left everyting to thoroughly dry and set over night!

20090910_13.jpg

20090910_14.jpg

20090910_15.jpg

20090910_16.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:42 pm

After drying for 24 hours, the figures had set in place perfectly and were nice and solid...no wobbling! No one likes drunkin' Serpent Guards! So next was to finish the bases.

First up, I cleaned up the sides of the black disc bases with a damp papertowel, and the spackle came up nice and easy. I was careful not to hit the top of the bases, or crack-off any of the top edging. I then carefully shook each of the four miniatures to dislodge any loose sand that hadn't set into the spackle. Not a lot came off, so I did a fair job of afixing the sand the night before. Basically what I am saying is, you want to be careful with the base before the protective coat is sprayed on!

Next came paint....Folk Art Acrylics "Desert Sand" was applied with a detail round brush, and put on fairly wet, as I wasn't overly concerned with keeping the sand too granular; the paint builds up to lighten the 'roughness' of the sand/ground. I was careful on the edging so as not to slip with the paint down the sides.

20090910_17.jpg

20090910_18.jpg

This next picture shows a comparison with and without the desert sand.....

20090910_19.jpg

And last to paint was some highlights to the desert sand, using Folk Art Acrylics "Teddy Bear Brown" to add some depth and shadow to the desert ground......

20090910_20.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:45 pm

More pics....

20090910_21.jpg

20090910_23.jpg

20090910_24.jpg

20090910_25.jpg

20090910_26.jpg

20090910_27.jpg

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:59 pm

nicely done em
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Chrisd wrote:nicely done em

Thanks mate!! :D

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate SG-1 "Serpent Guards" Miniatures - Tutorial 1

Postby Whiterook » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm

I love these bad boys!!! New pictures up!

Return to “Follow As I Build”