Stargate SG-1 "Jaffa" Miniatures - Tutorial

Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stargate SG-1 "Jaffa" Miniatures - Tutorial

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 pm

This is a step-by-step guide to my method of painting Stargate SG-1 miniature "Jaffa".

As part of a Stargate SG-1 Miniatures game I am designing, some of the miniatures represented in the game will be the henchmen (depending on your perspective) to the Goa'uld System Lords! Jaffa.

These are fantastic miniatures, with fine detail, that were originally released by Phoenix Icons .....a company in the United Kingdom that held the license to reproduce these Stargate Miniatures; but they no longer make these, so getting your hands on them is pretty hard, and becoming harder!!! They are 28mm in size.

They are finely cast in pewter, and being cast as such, need cleaning of flash and venting, as well as straightening (very carefully) of the staff weapons. The pewter mold flash scrapes down very easily, and the venting cuts off smoothly...using a #11 Bladed X-Acto hobby knife; but one needs to be a bit careful not to over do the scraping of flash, or slip in the cutting of the venting, as detail can be lost in an instant. The work went very quickly and with no mishaps!

1. Jaffa unfinished b.JPG

Here's a good shot of some of the bent staff weapons I spoke of.....

1. Jaffa unfinished c.JPG

......which are nerve-wracking to 'unbend', as pewter is a delacate beastie, and snapping off the staff weapon would not be terribly hard to do! In fact, as you SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY bend the metal, you can actually hear it straining! Weird!!! Unless you've done it, you probably have no idea what I'm talking about....let me just say, you gotta stay frosty!

After I cleaned them up of mold lines and venting (like what you see above), it was time for the black basecoat of paint, done with Folk Art Acrylics...same as used on the 'Gate and Serpent Guards (see other threads), and a light touch is again needed so as not to puddle paint into the nooks and crannies. As stated with the Serpent Guards, these miniatures have a lot of fine detail, which includes chainmail, so lots of little small dimples! The #10 brush used was synthetic, and I needed to angle into the miniatures with the head of the brush in order to seat the paint in the nooks and crannies; and then use horizontal strokes to smooth out the surface, and dig some of that paint OUT of the nooks and crannies....it'll pool up in there no matter how careful you are, but as long as you keep at it before anything sets up dry, you'll be just fine! My brushes are catching Holy Hell, though....fraying up something horrible!

2. Jaffa, basecoat b.JPG

2. Jaffa, basecoat c.JPG
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate SG-1 "Jaffa" Miniatures - Tutorial

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:31 pm

I next added "Metallic Aluminum" Folk Art Acrylic to the overall figure in drybrush fashion, loading up a #10 flat synthetic brush with paint, and then wiping off most of the paint on a paper towel....then followed with lightly dragging the brush horizontally over the surface. The goal was to leave the deep blacks in the nooks and crannies...especially the chainmail...so as to leave the Metallic Aluminum pop!

3. Jaffa painting a.JPG

3. Jaffa painting aa.JPG

3. Jaffa painting b.JPG

3. Jaffa painting c.JPG

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:35 pm

One of the figures I bought was some heavy action....a Jaffa with a Heavy Cannon! This is a sweet miniature, that will really kick some SG-butt! I decided to put a coat of black on it, and then when thoroughly dreid, a coat of Folk Art "Metallic Aluminum". The black was brushed straight on; and then the metallic aluminum was drybrushed on, leaving a lot of black "shadow" detail behind. I will assemble this unit with Superglue.

DSC01571.jpg

DSC01572.jpg

Next up came application of the Folk Art Acrylics "Metallic Pure Gold", drybrushed onto the skullcaps, boots, dragon scale armor, cowls, and the First Primes coat. This was done very lightly, and again, I wanted the metallic aluminum to play through the gold to an extent.....

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

DSC01582.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 pm

Next came faces! I put on a basecoat of flesh toned paint on the faces with the smallest brush I own, and it went very well overall. This is some fine detail work! I let the paint dry overnight, and then did a little detail work to add a little more tone to the faces; as much as I could, anyway.

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

DSC01587.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:40 pm

I LOVE how the First Prime came out....the bad dude pointing menacingly! I doubt I'll change anything to his face, as it came out real well as is!

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:49 pm

You know, looking at these later, I found that I really liked the faces afterall, and decided to leave them as is. So, out to the driveway I went with them and gave them a spray of Krylon Matte Finish.

You know, looking at these later in the day today, with less sleepy eyes, I found that I really liked the faces afterall, and decided to leave them as is. So, out to the driveway I went with them and gave them a spray of Krylon Matte Finish.

....all still mounted in the foam, which I placed on a handy box for transporting to the spray site, and subsequent spraying. I also gave one of the sides of the Stargate another coat...

20090913_18.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:55 pm

Next came some basing for the Jaffa figures, as well as the second batch of Serpent Guards and the First Prime figure. As with the other batch of Serpent Guards, basing was done with spackle (you can just see the spackle jar in the background of the following picture, but for a full description of this product, go to the "Serpent Guard" thread.

I again, first started by applying spackle to the top of the disk bases....you can just make out the notch the figures slip into)....using a paint-mixing trowel. Kinda like spreading frosting on a cupcake! It goes on a darker color, and dries white, which is real nice when you're also applying another coat of something, in this case, sand (later)....

You can see the paint-mixing tool in the following shot.....

20090917_1.jpg

20090917_2.jpg

20090917_3.jpg

20090917_4.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:59 pm

The figures having all been sprayed with Matte Coat, and then placed in the base/spackle, the sand was tamped firmly into place and allowed to dry. The spackle wipes off the bases very easy, so the edging can be left a bit messy at this stage with no later bad effects.....

20090917_5.jpg

The fellow on the far right is the Jaffa Heavy Cannon dude!

20090917_6.jpg

20090917_7.jpg

20090917_8.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:04 pm

This next shot shows a closer detail of the base (on the Heavy Cannon dude). As mentioned previously, the sand (which is just plain craft sand from Michael's Craft Store) is tamped into the spackle and left to dry overnight. The next day (or whenever I resume that stage), I shake off the loose sand, tapping the side of the base gently; and/or sometimes brush off a bit with my fingertip, if I feel the layer of sand is to heavy. Then comes paint.....

20090917_15.jpg

I dab on a generous dollop of Folk Art Acrylics "Desert Sand" with a small round head brush, and drag the bristles lightly toward me to spread the paint a little; which also helps diffuse some of the airbubbles that sometimes form in the paint. I carefully go around the whole base/figure. The above shot shows half a base done.

This following shot is a poor attempt at my being humorous....

20090917_13.jpg
I was punchy....cut me some slack!

And these next shots show my latest tool to make my life easier at that time....I had forgotten I bought this lazy Susan, and let me tell 'ya...it works GREAT! A back saver!!!

20090917_14.jpg

20090917_16.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:08 pm

A little more work went into the Jaffa warriors at that point, with the Heavy Cannon operator and the First Prime....touched up the bases a little, then cleaned off the excess spackle and paint off of the rims of the bases. Next was some sealer on the base's sand texture. I use a mixture of Elmer's White Glue and water!

20090919_8.jpg

I mix a good portion of white glue to water (more water than glue) in a RX pills container, which you can beg to get from the drugstore if you aren't lucky enough to be taking meds yet (be patient, you will....in time!). I get the easy-off caps, 'cause....well....they're easy off! And unlike their screw-off cousins, these will not spill liquid when shaken. So, once you have your ingredients, simply shake up and dollop on! And I have an old acrylic flat brush that I use to paint on the glue mixture.

20090919_7.jpg

20090919_6.jpg

The basic technique involves dipping the brush into the liquid (I dip right past the ferule), dab the bristles quickly and lightly on a paper towel to take some of the mixture off, and then tamp lightly on the paint surface; you can also lightly drag the brush horizontally...drawing back in a flat manner...to take out any airbubbles that sometimes form. When dry, the water/glue mixture is clear and hard, and pretty matte. It's a nice, non-toxic soltion, which also adds a nice protective coat to the part of the figure most susceptible to chipping and gouging.

Try it out!

Return to “Follow As I Build”