Flames of War Sherman Platoon, Tutorial

Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flames of War Sherman Platoon, Tutorial

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:43 pm

Back in March of 2009, I took on a Flames of War project.... building a M4A1 Sherman Platoon

ubx02.jpg
Box art cover

You can never have enough Shermans! For this build, I wanted to make Late War Shermans with the wider mantle. These are in 15mm, made with resin hulls and plastic treads/roadwheels/sprockets.

I was a little surprised to see the latter in plastic. Having only built the FoW Panther D earlier (my first experience with Flames of War), I expected all of FoW's tanks to have the metal tracks, but alas, no. But no nevermind actually, as they were cast decently and looked great in the end. But detail definitely was not as sharp as I was expecting; and the overall "weight" that I loved so much on the Panther just wasn't there frankly. But then again, these Shermans are so much different than my Axis & Allies Miniatures, it's no biggie and I love what these brought to the table (pun intended!). I think they are a gorgeous sculpt!!!

And by the way, that's not a huge dis on Axis & Allies Miniatures. Whereas the Base Set Shermans in A&AM were very much out of scale compared to the rest of the 15mm miniatures, those very latter 15mm versions were dramatically better. Still....put the best A&AM Sherman next to a FoW Sherman, and there is a distinct difference.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building a Flames of War Sherman Platoon

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:47 pm

The components are usually pretty consistent on Flames of War miniatures....

1a M4A1 Sherman, FoW, parts.JPG
Components

First up came a basecoat of Tamiya Flat Black. I ended up using the last of my poor little bottle, in fact, so I experimented with some Folk Art and Americana Acrylics ,which are bought in craft stores. I am so fond of these, actually!

I painted the entire vehicle black, except the underside "disc" of the turret, which I held gingerly by my finger nails while painting! I am not so sure a basecoat is really needed. I understand that if you want to drybrush your succeeding colors on afterwards, you can leave the cracks and crevices black, which makes the vehicles' detail pop. The problem is, at that time, that techinique thusfar VERY successfully alluded me!

1b M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
Black basecoat

Next, came the first layer of green....Olive, to be exact. It's very dark, as the black of the undercoat still shines maddeningly through (Strike 2)

1c M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
Layer of green applied

More green went on top, and finally the black undercoat of the base is starting to disappear, and the green's "Olive" color is allowed to blossom. The base only was Tamiya...all the rest is Folk Art Acrylics. You can really start to see the contrast of the black machine gun against the green! Those machine guns, by the way, were a real pain to place on top....even though there is a little "pin" at the base of the carriage mount, it still is a tricky proposition to superglue in place. Yes, yes....I know I can use an accelerant; however, I was A) not that proficient yet; can't FIND any accelerant anywhere near me (I was lucky to have superglue fairly available!), and C) am too lazy!!!

1d M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
...and more green

At this stage, the color was actually quite nice, but I wanted the green a little lighter to introduce a little "fading" look to the pieces, so Olive Green was again applied, but with a little white added to lighten it.....

1e M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
Lightening

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:49 pm

Next came a little dusting....made with a mixture of Folk Art Olive Green, Green, and Desert Sand. This was drybrushed over the top of most surfaces. I warn you, it looks a little harsh at this stage, but I'll be toning it down later with more washes and weathering....

1f M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
Weathering

1g M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
More weathering

And that gorgeous turret!

1h M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
Gorgeous turret

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Dusting, washes, and weather....

1i M4A1 Sherman, FoW, paint.JPG
Extreme weathering

Next came the decaling....man, these Flames of War miniatures have SMALL decals (I'll never complain about small decals on model kits again!!!), but they are extremely nice!

Knowing what I do now about using Future Floor Acylic, these would look even nicer today, but that technology was not known by me back when I built these. FoW does a very nice job with their decals, and they go on quite nicely.

I used a flat paint brush to stick the decal, as they are so small, and then press into place with a make-up sponge...the kind that comes on a plastic stick you find in the women's cosmetic isles at the department stores.

2a M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finishing.JPG
Decaling

2b M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finishing.JPG
Decaling

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Next came a coat of Matte Finish sprayed on top of the miniatures. Into a trusty cardboard box, and then out on the frosty porch it went for a quick spray....industrial mask in place to protect the lungs!

I use Krylon spray paints...you can get them at pretty much any hardware isle at most US department stores. Very inexpensive, and it really does the trick. It works just as good as any high priced hobby store rattlecan, which cost way more for the same result!

20090301_19.JPG
Krylon Matte spray

Then back inside the house for a quick "Speed Dry" with the trusty hair dryer!

2c M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finishing.JPG
Hair dryer time!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

The stowage gear that comes with Flames of War miniatures by the way, is absolutely gorgeous!!! Really adds to the quality of the minis, and individualizes them quite effectively!

So next in the process, now that the matt finish had dried and cured....I had mixed up a dirty wash of Folk Art Teddy Bear Brown and Fire Engine Red (just a smidge of the latter, which gives a little rustiness to the hue); then lighten with a couple brushloads of clean water. A dunk into the heady mixture, and then a few swipes onto a paper towel, and the leftover in the brush is dragged lightly over the miniature in a pseudo dry brush/wet wash technique that I like to call, "Em's Method"!

This cuts down on the harshness of the dust coating, and harmonizes the colors in a nice warm tone; and at the same time, looks like mud splatter on the white decals, which pop too much as pure white.

2d M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finishing.JPG

2e M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finishing.JPG

Some detailing work on some of the stowage, and a drybrush of Tamiya Gun Metal on the tracks, and then back outside for another spray of matte finish, and then ready for the big reveal!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:02 pm

And the finish product!

3a M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finished.JPG

3b M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finished.JPG

3c M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finished.JPG

3d M4A1 Sherman, FoW, finished.JPG

Now they are ready for some serious gaming!!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Flames of War Sherman Platoon, Tutorial

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:04 am

Another fixed thread, with newly cleaned up images and attached with the forums' Attachment feature, rather than the links (that were broken, due to Photobucket's antics).

The Minaitures probably can use some revamping in weathering, now that I know a little more on the subject. I was happy enough with them, but always felt they could use some aging and wear!

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am

Damn, those look good!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:40 pm

josta59 wrote:Damn, those look good!

To quote the King of Rock: "Well, thank yoooou; thank you very much!" :D I have to admit, Flames of War miniatures are pretty user friendly to put together. However, working (especially sanding) with resin is not my favorite thing to do...I'me extremely careful with that stuff.

Return to “Follow As I Build”