Command Decision 15mm M36 MGG Tank Destroyer

Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Command Decision 15mm M36 MGG Tank Destroyer

Postby Whiterook » Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks! My TD's in the build are planned with airbrush instead of the hand painted versions you see here. It will be my first attempt with an airbrush on miniayures; and the smallest thing I've yet to work on with an airbrush.

If it works out and I see it as the method of choice, I may start saving my pennies for a Paasch Talon.....I hear they have amazing flexibility in fine detail.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu May 05, 2011 10:21 pm

In Frizz's take on price quality on Command Decision....I could not possibly agree more! :D I'm at the point where I'm looking to specialize in platoons of armor, and doing so in FoW would require I take a part time job :lol:

Chris....I find your comment on preference for plastic over metal very, very interesting. Seriously, I'd like to hear more on why. I've not personally heard of a wargamer that preferred plastic minis over metal, though I am sure there are many. I'd like your take on it.

For me, my Axis & Allies Miniatures far outweigh in sheer numbers that of any other manufacturer I've collected from. I mean thousands, likely. I've a few Flames of War minis in my collection now, but the only thing that comes close (again, in numbers owned) to A&AM pieces are my increasing stock of unbuilt Command Decision miniatures....mostly armor.

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Fri May 06, 2011 11:10 am

Plastic is easier to work with especially when it comes to assembly of products for one. Plus the material is also by far cheaper which means that the cost to us consumers would be easier on the pocket book. True that it is by far more fragile than the pewter and resin base stuff but you still will get great details maybe even better details than what you will get with resin and pewter base.

lets also compare a quick thing... I will use Tiger's March which is now $85 instead of the $115 from Battlefront/FoW that is 5 Tiger Tanks made out of pewter and resin. 1st they are not painted 2nd they still need to be assembled as well. Where as what PoC is selling on the Warstore they are prepainted and fully assembled and cost only $20. not including shipping. Now if they wanted to cut that price in half probably then don't bother painting or assembly them.

Another example I could use in the 25th Anniversary introductory box set for Battletech you get 24 plastic mechs and 2 Clan Omni Mechs. The Omnimechs are made with a much sturdier based plastic where as the Innersphere ones were made with the plastic kind of like a childs army soldier. But still the details are nice and it fit with in the cost of the box set which was $50 bucks. Mind you if they went with the pewter stuff from Ironwindmetals instead then more than likely that box set wouldn't a $50 box set but closer to almost $200. I paid $13.50 yesterday not including tax on my 1st Battletech figure which is my Warhammer. The other mech I ordered is going to cost me $12.75 but their won't be as much assembly as the warhammer had. And I have 2 more mechs on order. If another manufacturing company were to get involved and make the battletech stuff out of plastic, I would stop my orders for the Ironwind Metals just for the plastic because it wouldn't be so expensive.

So it pretty much boils down to how much I have in my wallet. And if I want to continue playing the games I enjoy then I need to find cheaper. Yes I know command decision stuff is cheaper you won me on that. But another thing too is that the CD stuff I can't get through my local retailer so :( and I have lost trust in purchasing things over the net.
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Fri May 06, 2011 8:56 pm

The cost issue on Plastics is a reasonably valid one.

There are some negative issues to consider...

The PoC miniatures were initially supposed to be $50.00 a box instead of $20.00, so these are currently a bargain, but weren't supposed to be.....

The sets are well equipped with decals, I'm only familiar with the American and German Halftracks... I'm more satisfied with the American Halftracks....

Plastic degrades much more quickly than metal, though I confess I'm not familiar with the life of resins... A friend had some twenty-year-old Roco tanks, that were literally collapsing under their own weight...

Naturally bargain-hunting comes into play; I think the bulk of my collection actually is Battlefront, most of which were bought at discounted prices.

Ultimately one has to balance cost, convenience, quality and the ability of a manufacturer to meet a gamer's requirements...
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat May 07, 2011 9:33 pm

Frizzenspark wrote:
Ultimately one has to balance cost, convenience, quality and the ability of a manufacturer to meet a gamer's requirements...

Very well put!!!

Interesing point on the stability of resin. I'm no expert, but I do know that some resins can leech chemicals over time if they haven't been mixed properly. However, I believe the Flames of War manufacturers are pretty darned top-notch, so there may be no issues with that there. But still, a fascinating thing to ponder.

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:18 am

Neat model. How much does it cost?
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:12 pm

The Old Glory/Command Decision Miniatures for WWII can be found at Warweb.com - Grandiosity, Inc

http://www.warweb.com/World-War-II_c833.htm

M36 B1 Tank Destroyer (3/pkg) List Price $24.00 but sells for $14.40
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Now i know why i never got into mini gaming. I just cant imagine going to all that expense building an army for 4 or 5 different nations and then having to beg people to play with me.

Thanks for the link. I may buy the occasional model just to build it. :mrgreen:
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Ah hell, I play with myself all the time! (....that didn't sound quite right)

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:59 pm

As I worked to repair this thread tonight, I took a hard look at these wth a new view and I'm definitely going to be bringing the Command Decision ones I bought and assembled, back the workbench for some paint touchup....

I think that looks like stowage on the side? I honestly can't remember :shock: ....regardless, these bad boys need a little love with weathering; or maybe even smoothing out some that finish and reapplying a faded paint job.

But that said, these are a favorite of mine! :D

Return to “Follow As I Build”