Members' Miniatures, Terrain, Structures & Diorama Build Logs

Moderators: MAGNA, Lucky Luke

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Command Decision 15mm M36 MGG Tank Destroyer

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:13 pm

Chrisd wrote: im not liking what i am seeing in the A&A mini's

Don't necessarily go by the Axis & Allies Miniature's M36 pictured in this thread. Yes, IMHO, they suck; but many of the A&AM minis are brilliant really. Their Pz IV Ausf F2's and Tigers are gorgeous. The North Afrika set has very nice Shermans. The wheeled 88 from one of the earliest sets is still a favorite of mine. Some of the artillery is decent, and pre-based! The infantry are nice, especially the Cossaks (?). I will always se many of my A&AM miniatures as they are from *good enough* to *very nice* to *brilliant*.

Chrisd wrote:....the Old Glory CD isn't that bad but ugh I really don't know

Trust me.....they are not only gorgeous....they are CHEAP in price! They look great. They are ALL metal. Great detail and accurate IMHO.

Chrisd wrote:.....and money is getting tight on me..

All the more reason to look at Command Decision....you can get three of a particular tank for what roughly the cost of one Flames of War. Just as weighty, just as detailed. Plus, filing any part down won't kill 'ya (resin on FoW). What's not to love???
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:26 pm

well the size difference :P im a stickler for stuff like that i would rather have slightly larger than what could be more noticable if it was smaller :(
Let's do this the old navy way, the 1st one to die LOSES!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:10 pm

Chrisd wrote:well the size difference :P im a stickler for stuff like that i would rather have slightly larger than what could be more noticable if it was smaller :(

Command Decision is 15mm....so if you're into Flames of War or Axis & Allies Miniatures' latter sets, you're all set! :D

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:42 pm

yes i know but the size doesn't seem to fit the 15mm compared to FoW Em that is why i haven' t really wanted to get their stuff. :(

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Chrisd wrote:yes i know but the size doesn't seem to fit the 15mm compared to FoW Em that is why i haven' t really wanted to get their stuff. :(

Really? The Shermas, Pz IVs, and Panthers...right off the top of my head....match up well with Axis & Allies Miniatures' true-15mm's and my Flames of War Shermans.

I don't doubt you my friend....I am only surprised. I'll have t look into this a little more in-depth, now that you have my curiosity going. I also guess the other thing for me is, closeness; if the difference is slight, it's only a game to me. There doesn't need to be, as an electrician friend yused to quote: 'Dead-nuts certainty' iin precise scale.

Frizzenspark
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frizzenspark » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:40 pm

The Axis & Allies Cromwell tanks are among their better releases, they'll blend in well with Battlefront....
"Why piddle about making porridge with artillery and then send men to drown themselves in it for a hundred yards of No Man's land? Tanks mean advances of miles at a time, not yards.".
Maj-Gen Percy Hobart (1885-1957)79th Armoured Division

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:09 am

I believe it was Frizzy who posted that link comparison over on the Zone and that is how I saw the difference and you Em made the comment that you would rather go larger than smaller. Don't get me wrong the CD stuff looks good but the fact that now I will possibly be finally building my german company, going with a gepanzerte panzergrenadier kompanie or a panzer kompanie... I really want to make sure that what I have for it is pretty even. :(

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:34 am

The one`s I have seen look pretty similar in size to battlefront, I just wish they were not so pricey to ship to the UK, as the only things it would actually pay for me to get are the Jagdpanthers and the King tigers, and when am I going to play a battle big enough to use three of either of those. :( .

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Chrisd
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chrisd » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:44 am

Ok well here is that review with POC and the comparisons http://wargames.nordalia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=65

Old Glory stuff is close but slightly smaller than BF and its dwarfed by POC. OGCD stuff i mean its nice looking but it doesn't look as much detailed :( i don't know maybe i am missing something or not seeing it :(

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:56 pm

IMHO, I think the comparisons between the Point of Contact and the other two maufacturers (Flames of War or Command Decision) are not fair.....

PoC is 1:100, and were designed upon the Ratio Scale, which takes in a more complicated computation of size comparisons from original (full lize) to replica (miniature size). Length, width, and height. In actual fact, they are NOT 15mm. They are bigger.

FoW is 15mm, and were designed upon the Barret Scale, which takes the actual height of the miniature figure itself, in millimeters (i.e., 15mm; meaning the Infantry figure is 15 millimeters in actual height), as the defining calculation. The problem with this is, almost every maufacturer confuses the issue by measuring for different end results.

An example of this would be measuring from base of foot [i]to eyeline for one manufacturer; while another manufacturer measures up to the top of the head, which can lead to inconsistencies when you’re dealing with an Infantry figure who in real life wore a WWI British helmet versus a foot and a half tall shako in the Napolionic Wars!

The same holds true for vehicles. Think about it....Flames of War uses a very specific infantry figure whose proportions are questionalble at best (no, not saying bad; saying different in stylistic interpretation). These infantry figures are featured more prominently in AFVs than say, Axis & Allies miniatures; and pretty much ot-at-all in Old Glory's Command Decision. My opinion is that FoW scale proportionate to there soldiers.[/i]

CoD is 15mm, and were designed upon the Barret Scale as well, but from what I've seen, don't have infantry in their vehicles. They can afford to concentrate on scaling the vehicle itself and not worry about what is going to sit inside. In fact, they may be even more proportionately correct! Look at the stowage on those M3A1s....some of the most roporionate I've seen, certainly....and you mention detail?

If what I say above holds water, FoW must alter some detail to accoodate proportion allowances. Hmmmmmm?

I've diverged on one side of your point....to get to the other half of *too big* vs. *too small*, I guess it all comes down to preference. In example, look at Axis & Allies Miniatres again: The infantry, artillery, and vehicles are all questionalbly out of scale with one another....and in point of fact, some of the old vehicles are drasically oout of scale with newer versions. Yet for some, "...it's cool, I say" (<-- movie" Disk to Dawn" quote)

Return to “Follow As I Build”