CALL FOR PLAYERS: Firepower (Avalon Hill, 1984)

Completed Missions

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Lucky Luke

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Firepower (Avalon Hill, 1984)

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:09 pm

Hello....how is going the enlistement?

I'd be interested in a non-real time scenario...with full rules if we can!!!!!

V6 !

Luca
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 pm

KG said he'll play at some point. I don't know if he's ready yet. You're the second to respond in this thread as "interested." So we can play whenever KG or someone else is ready.

We'll definitely use the advanced rules. We'll probably use some of the optional rules, too. There are some that I haven't even tried myself yet. I want to keep it somewhat simple for our first time around.

Thanks for responding, and welcome to the site!

Scott
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

KG_Panzerschreck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby KG_Panzerschreck » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 pm

I have a few more projects to finish up around the house and ill have the time. Sorry about taking so long. I only have a few minutes a day now.
Ineptocracy: A system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:03 am

josta59 wrote:We'll definitely use the advanced rules. We'll probably use some of the optional rules, too. There are some that I haven't even tried myself yet. I want to keep it somewhat simple for our first time around.

I'm with you: we MUST use the adv. rules!
About the optional rules ones I can list the ones I used :

Movement
15.1 - Jumping - I always used it, it's simple and don't add a lot of weight on the game, on the other hand it expands your options.

Combat
16.1 - 16.2 nice
16.3 -16.4 is interesting the option to fire more quickly with a chance to suppress an hex even with a pistol firing 4 shots (or a Garand...) but beware to the "dud" roll...a little complication because often in the heat of battle the players forget to check the reliability number :oops:

16.6 pinned and inactive status mandatory in my opinion...!!!

16.7 - 16.8 – 17 as needed.

18 – umpire sighting: I tried a couple of times to use it…a total wreck! The players never adjust to a major change of pace in the game: with this rule you must use at least a point every impulse to see anything..the game became a crawl and the number of additional turns needed to end a scenario is crazy! Oh, maybe you have a vague feeling I don’t like this rule… :lol:
The game need a system like MBT, maybe…

19 - vehicles : if needed but we really want to use a vehicle in our ‘maiden’ game?

20 (radio commo) - 21 (fires) as needed

22(individual characteristics): I love RPG but a soldier with speed 3 and constitution deserves to be sent home and this rule is a burden too heavy to take now…

23 (wounds and cover): mandatory…the ‘loss’ of the cover modifier make the suppression more easy but I think it isn’t a problem.

24 (morale): this rule has the same effect on the game as the 18 (sighting): the fleeing soldiers and the loss of sequence units stretch the turns needed to finish a scenario. The only ‘legal’ use IMHO is in a “few Special forces vs. many squads of low quality” but maybe only as a solitaire scenario… :lol:

26 – 27(NBC?!?! :cry: ) as needed.

Now, for the scenarios I found that the 2 “Ambush” put you right from the beginning in the middle of a lot of trouble…!

Phew! Time for me to walk away from this stage...sorry for the overflow ! :roll:
V6!

Luca

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 am

Don't be sorry! That's very interesting to me. And I'm thinking, with your experience, maybe you should run a game first. Interested? I've only played solitaire, and I'm probably doing it wrong.

I actually included two vehicles in my second game, a BRDM2 and a coffee truck (see here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=992). It took a lot of time to figure out how everything worked and to implement it. It was fun, but I agree, not for our first game here. I had a fire going in that game too, when the coffee truck was blown up. I used the wound rules, too.

I definitely agree with you about the wound rules. It's very unrealistic for every shot that hits to be a kill shot. I enjoyed finding out which body part was hit and what kind of damage was done. And it was kinda cool to have all these wounded soldiers lying around, some of which could still pick up a gun and fire it. Much more realistic.

I've been wondering a lot about the individual characteristics. I always thought it would be cool to create some characters like in an RPG, and then have them come back for future games. But I wondered if it could create issues like you mentioned.

Umpired sighting and morale always looked really complicated to me. I'm kind of glad you don't like those rules.

You are obviously the Firepower master here, so if you want to moderate a game, I'd love to play it! Or I'll moderate and you can coach me and tell me when I'm screwing up.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Vehicles ?

Try to play the solitaire scenario with 2 minigun-armed jeeps ala Chuck Norris... 8-)
Until some enemy bullet hit the crew is a fun ride!!!!

Or jumping on a Pact MBT with an AA163 and blowing its tracks with a Vulcan full-auto burst... :twisted:

Mastering a game ? First I have to understand how Vassal manage the files.... :?

There are around here some hints on Vassal functions ?
V6!

Luca

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Sweet. Last month I was planning a huge solitaire scenario based on the intro to the movie Expendables 2. I was going to have ten mercenaries enter a town in three trucks armed to the teeth to save a hostage. I got really excited until I tried to get through the rule book a second time. It's so darn complicated!

I can probably help you with Vassal. It shouldn't be very hard since you won't be playing against anyone in real time. Once you have the game installed in Vassal, you just pick a map and lay out the counters. How can I help?

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:36 pm

josta59 wrote:I can probably help you with Vassal. It shouldn't be very hard since you won't be playing against anyone in real time. Once you have the game installed in Vassal, you just pick a map and lay out the counters. How can I help?

I need some help about the files juggling: I think that Vassal, like Cyberboard, can save the move in a file and this file could be loaded in the other player's Vassal to see what is going on and reply with his move and so on...there is a function to record a note in the middle of a move so the other player can see it and understand better the move he is replaying?

i.e. if you open up with a full auto on a target, you can write something like "RFL1, 2 hexes range, to hit 5 +1 firing not at rest +2 target prone= to hit 2 or less" and after rolling 6,8,1 write "rolling for hit location = 2 = head = incap" ?

You can write it in a .txt attached to the email 'carrying' the recorded move but it is more ankward (but possible to cope with !)
V6!

Luca

josta59

Postby josta59 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:39 pm

I think you're making it more difficult than how we normally do it. Em and I just make the moves in Vassal as if we're playing solitaire, and then we post a screenshot of the action here on the forum. Way simpler that way. Most of the members here don't use Vassal and don't know how. I don't even know how to use it except for playing solitaire.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:45 pm

josta59 wrote:I think you're making it more difficult than how we normally do it. Em and I just make the moves in Vassal as if we're playing solitaire, and then we post a screenshot of the action here on the forum. Way simpler that way. Most of the members here don't use Vassal and don't know how. I don't even know how to use it except for playing solitaire.

the KISS system is the better one!

Okay. Let's do it!
V6!

Luca

Return to “Archives”