INTEREST CHECK: CMBN Play by Post game?

Completed Missions

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

INTEREST CHECK: CMBN Play by Post game?

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:07 am

Any interest in a "very small", play by post game of Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy? It would be on a small map with 2 teams, fighting over single terrain feature. 1 German Squad vs 1 American Squad with each squad broken into 2-3 sections with each player commanding a section and maybe a jeep type vehicle on each side thrown for good measure. Would need 4 players at least, 2 per team.

Interest, thoughts, comments?

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: CMBN Play by Post game?

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:56 am

To add a little more, the views would be 1st person (ground level kind of point of view) so as section leader, squad leader you will "see" your surroundings via a screenshot or 2 that I would post in each team's thread. From that screenshot you would post your next "turns" orders for your section (the game would proceed in 1-2 minute turns).

To help with FOW, there will be no sharing of info among the section leaders unless you are in visual communication range with the other section leader(s). Depending how much "enthusiasm" there may for this game, be I may add in a small mortar to each side etc, so that the Squad leader can call for fire.

There will be also a single, unmarked and larger overall "terrain" topo style map to reference for each leader.

I will post more information as we go along and try to answer any questions you may have. If you do, feel free to fire away.

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:02 pm

If you guys are not up for a team PvP game I can create small scenario where you are all on the same team playing against the AI trying to accomplish a short mission. The map is already set up I would just need players and the to decide if a PvP or Team game.

If American team, there would be a Platoon Leader HQ Section and 1x Rifle Squad with 2-3 Sections (of 3-4 players) or a German team of a Platoon HQ Section and 1x Rifle Squad with 2-3 Sections (of 3-4 players).

So basically you would be taking a Platoon Leader (with his Assistant Platoon Leader in his section) and a Rifle Squad (broken into sections) on a suicide mission. :lol:

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 pm

This sounds interesting....how difficult are the rules to learn? I'm not familiar with this game's rules.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Whiterook wrote:This sounds interesting....how difficult are the rules to learn? I'm not familiar with this game's rules.

Won't really be many rules needed to learn. You will order your men based on what you see in the screenshot and what your teammates are able to pass along, if you are in voice or visual range. I will try to post a sample screenshot and give guidance on how to submit your options as far as what orders you can give. You will basically give "write out" orders like you would in real life, telling your men what to do as a group, take cover, open fire, move, set up firing arcs in the defense, assault, hide, etc.

You would probably need to know a little about some basic WWII weapons capabilities, such as ranges for the weapons your men have at their disposal. M1's Thompson SMG's, maybe a BAR and some grenades as well as keeping up with your sections "carried" ammo. The 1st scenario is expected to be very short, maybe 30 minutes, so ammo should not be an issue. The game also models medical treatment to a small degree so you may have to a man in your section to combat medic duties rather than combat to "treat" your wounded so they remain only WIA, get evaced and do not become KIA.

Time will be played out in 2-3 minute time periods until contact is made, then 1 minute per turn will be the norm. Tom took part in something like this before and may remember it from the CMSF game we tried over at ACG but on a smaller scale this time.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:52 am

Sounds good, count me in bud!!

Cheers, join us Em and I'll try to get ahold of Mark and see if he is up for it as well!!

Tom

So DD you did get the Combat Mission Beyond Normandy, NICE!!

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 am

TRDG wrote: So DD you did get the Combat Mission Beyond Normandy, NICE!!

Yes, I got it. It's not something I play a lot of though. Been going back to Pen and Paper style RPG's lately, mostly old school D&D and HarnMaster..

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 am

Next question. Before I finish building out the scenario, should this be from the American or German POV (i.e., do you guys want to play an American or German squad)? The situation I have set up so far could have the sides swapped without much work, so any preferences please feel free to speak up.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:11 pm

For me it would be who has the most "fun' and interesting weapons and that specific vehicle for each side.

Cheers

Tom

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:10 am

TRDG wrote:For me it would be who has the most "fun' and interesting weapons and that specific vehicle for each side.

M1 Garands and KAR 98's mostly. Any vehicles would be light AND on the opposing (AI) side.

We would need Platoon Leader and preferably at 2-3 Section Leaders to break the Squad out into, so 3 players? CMBN does not allow you to mix and match personnel for a section so you would get the default groupings depending on the main unit type.

For a short test run I am thinking of using a generic American Parachute Squad and so I will post that OOB breakdown here shortly.

Return to “Archives”