Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

CALL FOR PLAYERS: Patrolling towards Bennt Jbail > SASL

Postby Double Deuce » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:00 pm

SCENARIO NAME: Patrolling towards Bennt Jbail
DATE: June 8, 1941
TIME: 05:45

SITUATION: The Syria–Lebanon campaign, also known as Operation Exporter, was the Allied invasion of Vichy French-controlled Syria and Lebanon, in June–July 1941. The Allied offensive was aimed at preventing Nazi Germany from using the Vichy French-controlled Mandate of Syria and Mandate of Lebanon as springboards for attacks on the Allied stronghold of Egypt, as the Allies fought a major campaign against Axis forces further west, in North Africa. Under the plan, Allied forces led by the 7th Australian Infantry Division would attack north into Syria from the British Mandate of Palestine. The operation was to begin on June 8.

Launching the attack just after midnight the Australians on the far right flank quickly took Aitaroun and Yaroun without much of a fight. From these 2 villages they advanced north towards Bennt Jbail and the surrounding hills.

CURRENT SITUATION: Having captured Aitaroun under cover of darkness and without opposition a few hours ago, your company is to patrol west along the road leading to Bennt Jbail. The area is fairly flat as the hills do not begin until right before Bennt Jbail however the area is heavily covered in dense and tangled vineyards. This means movement offroad will be very difficult. Your mission is to scout the road leading to Bennt Jbail and clear it of any opposition encountered.

It is daytime and the weather is Clear with a Mild Breeze blowing to the west. All buildings are wooden, single level structures. Here is a large, very detailed map that will be used for the mission. Allied forces will enter from the bottom (East), while Axis forces will enter from the top (West). I recommend downloading and saving the map to your computer so you can refer to it when needed, rather than accessing it from the link each time (it is about .50MB in size in max zoom).

g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1140&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=70750e21c50e80981118a5f8755a1a9f[/img][/url]

OOB is here > Australian Rifle Company (1939-11/43)

We will need up to 4 players. One for overall Company Command (will handle the HQ and support units) and then 3 Platoon Leaders.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Call for Players > Patrolling towards Bennt Jbail > SAS

Postby TRDG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:07 am

I'm in for the Aussi fest Mike, I'll hold back on what to run until others sign up.

Cheers, to a great ASL game ahead I bet!!

Tom

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:56 pm

TRDG wrote:I'm in for the Aussi fest Mike, I'll hold back on what to run until others sign up.

Well, ASL is a pretty hard core game so not sure I will get much interest here since there are only a few regulars who are more miniatures oriented. If I could ever get logged back into the ACG forums I might try running it over there unless Duncan has something ASL going on already.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:39 am

Give it some time here Mike, it has only been 6 days since you posted it, it does take time.

Cheers, so anyone wanna jump in with me here??

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 pm

This looks awesome.....I agree with the point that we are a bit of a small core of gamers here at the moment, as the site has only been up for literally just 3 months now. Plus we have a decent number already participating in games.

My personal take on most being miniatures-gaming oriented differs a bit from Mike's, as I know that a very strong number of members are chit-pushing Grogs, so I think an ASL game would go over very well here over time, and become a strong draw.

For me, I'd be willing to maybe give it a try, but I'd prefer to see some other members participate. My reason is two-fold:

• One, I'm currently running a big game and playing in a game (of which on the later, I'll be honest in the admitting that the time I've invested in truly figuring out Pirate's Cove has me in a position where I really have no dea what I'm doing and I'm just flinging cannon balls until I run out <<SPOILER ALERT!!!>>
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Two, I played in the other ASL game over at the Zone and had no idea what I was doing, really. It was my real first playing experience with SASL. As Mike says, it's a hard-core game and I think you need to approach it being totally invested in playing it through as a player. Mike is taking on a huge commitment in gamemastering this kind of game, which I cannot fully express how impressed I am with him taking that on....so he more than deserves a solid effort by the gamers playing it through. It is without a doubt, the King of wargaming, and should (dare I say, MUST) be tried by anyone interested in wargaming. My problem right now is time.....I don't hae a lot to spare.

Mike.....I really, really, REALLY want to see SASL played here at TCG. I think this could be a really great place to play out ASL games. If it doesn't take off this time out, please, try again as we get stronger.....and if this is a case where we don't have enough hardcore wargamers to participate in this particular scenario, may I suggest an alternate idea....

Could you run a very small and 'Beginners' version of the game first? Very few units, and a small battlefield. Something where you could help walk us through the game mechanics. Mabe even have a Logistics thread that points out where we went wrong orwhat we may have missed. Just a thought.

Another thought is, and my intent is not to 'steal membership', but are there ACG's that would be interested in joining up here at TCG and playing. I am a member in good standing at ACG and have some amazing friends there still (I hope), so being members here is just an opportunity for another place to play. If you can think of any, Tom and I can PM them over at ACG with a message directly from you. Just thinking out loud.

:?: I may be totally wrong here but, I have a feeling there may be members here that would like to try the game but are a bit frigtened off by the scope???? :?:

What do the members here think...please speak up.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Whiterook wrote:Could you run a very small and 'Beginners' version of the game first? Very few units, and a small battlefield. Something where you could help walk us through the game mechanics. Mabe even have a Logistics thread that points out where we went wrong orwhat we may have missed. Just a thought.

Yeah, that's definitely an option. Maybe a small, 1/2 board truncated SASL mission. I will see what I can work up and post.

Whiterook wrote:Another thought is, and my intent is not to 'steal membership', but are there ACG's that would be interested in joining up here at TCG and playing. I am a member in good standing at ACG and have some amazing friends there still (I hope), so being members here is just an opportunity for another place to play. If you can think of any, Tom and I can PM them over at ACG with a message directly from you. Just thinking out loud.

Honestly, I had actually planned to run this over at ACG once summer arrived but since I cannot access their forums since about February/March and have another ongoing game dying in limbo there because of that access issue, not sure its still an option. As for whom to PM, I'm not sure. The last few ASL games Duncan ran over there did not seem to draw much interest, at least as for those I remember.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:03 am

I don't know guys, there are a lot of rules but it is'nt that scary I would think to most of us.

Moving and shooting can be fairly basic once we have some exact posts on the basics others can read up on.
The game here is'nt that big, just the terrain wihich should work out as there are now places to manuever, which is very nice compared to other ASL games I have played.

Most gamers who take up this challange can just figure where they want to move, then shoot as needed and or assault if it comes to that. After basic rules are posted I'm sure Mike and I cn help out anyone.

I might as well take the HQ so the other units are less stressfull to others, so that narrows it down.

Then lets stick to the half turn at least per week and it should work out.

The players and I can PM here and use the chat room perhaps at The Zone as well when things come up.

Something like

Group 1 wants to move to the vinyard 4 hexes away, then the next turn shoot at some Frenchies.

Group 2 wants to just fire at x enemy units 6 hexes away for the turn

Group 3 Move 1 hex, then assault move one more.

First I'd PM what I might do with my units, then perhaps give advice on what other groups may chosse to do. I'd do this on a Friday, then wait for PM feeback/questions, you know, then by next friday we would all post our orders in the game thread.

Mike can run them when he can then we start again,

Cheers, we can kind of have this as a test game to see who ight like it and play another. Not to sure making it way smaller would actualy help as less sitoations will arise and the rules do'nt get used as much.

Hell I could play the whole thing but thats not the point here, we want others to get to understand and play this sucker, to see if this is something you might have interest in that you hav'nt had a real chance to play before.

My time can be limited as well, with all the games I've got going, but if I can find the time, surly others can to I hope.

"my group can move 4 regular hexes, Where do I want to go?, will I get any incoming fire? Can I shoot anyone?

Thats the basics all one has to figure out, not that hard if your not playing as a stat person.

Tom

Em if we don't get any other replies you could take the smallest squads as a group then?

Another I have as a PM will play if no others show up.

Anyone else?

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:46 am

TRDG wrote:Cheers, we can kind of have this as a test game to see who ight like it and play another. Not to sure making it way smaller would actualy help as less sitoations will arise and the rules do'nt get used as much.

A smaller test game, like a dry run might be better though. A short walkthrough on a smaller map, maybe 3-4 turns. Probably more focused on movement than shooting since that is pretty straight forward although Defensive fire again an advancing enemy can get a little complicated when using a forum format until you understand movement rates and terrain a little better.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am

If there are no other takers then I wouldn`t mind giving it a try. Just one thing though, I will be away for two weeks from the end of August so that test game that was mentioned would probably be best as I would not want to hold the game up. If that is ok then count me in.

Frank
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Double Deuce » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:28 pm

OK, how about this smaller, training exercise?

Similar British force as the Bennt Jbail game advances West (Blue Arrows) against an unknown defending German Force with the objective of seizing the 2 story building (Yellow rectangle) at W4/W5.

Suspected ENEMY locations are shown below (the ? counters) along with the preliminary starting Sniper positions.

I copied this excellent post by Pirate-Drakk from over at the Zone that should give some basic game insight;

ASL is broken down into a number of phases and even subphases. This doc is a brief description of those phases. DD will be taking care of most of this for us, but it is useful to know what is going on "behind the scenes".
http://www.grognard.com/info1/aslsksheet.pdf

Here's a short write up on basic squad tactics.
Note:
MMC=MultiMan Counter (not a leader).
DRM=Die Role Modifier (positive DRMs make your units safer, negative DRMs make your units more vulnerable).
ASLSK Basic Infantry Tactics > http://www.savarese.org/simulation/asls ... ctics.html

If you have Power Point, check out this cool little presentation!
http://russgifford.net/ASL/ASLMod5.ppt

We won't be getting into vehicles much but here is some basics anyway just a FYI.
http://homepage.urbanet.ch/aborel/ASL/asl3a.pdf

Just remember to focus on maneuver and shooting and I will handle all the finite details.

Return to “Archives”