CALL FOR PLAYERS: Marines vs Mercs Urban Warfare (by me)

Completed Missions

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

CALL FOR PLAYERS: Marines vs Mercs Urban Warfare (by me)

Postby josta59 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm

I hadn't planned on making a new call for players every month in 2013, but it's working out that way so far.

This time it's a game that I designed myself just today. It's based on the Warp Spawn game Jungle Skirmish (see my previous call for players), which I've been playing with my wife. This morning I completely revamped it, cutting the scale in half and making it a man-to-man game like Firepower (one unit equals one soldier). And I got rid of the grid completely, making it more like a miniatures game. But it's still card-driven, using a card set based on Jungle Skirmish. This introduces a lot of unknowns, giving it a feel of chaos that a real skirmish would have. Instead of pulling chits, you're drawing cards and making decisions based on what's in your hand. Your cards can affect what your opponent is able to do, too.

I changed the setting, too. Now it's urban warfare, so there are lots of places to hide. And there's an element of capture-the-flag as well, with objectives hidden inside buildings that you must safely transport out of the battle zone.

Obviously this game hasn't been play-tested yet, and that's where you guys come in. If I can get two people to commit to a game (very little time required), I'll create a simple map and counters so we can try it out. Who wants to give this a try?
Last edited by josta59 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Double Deuce
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Member-created urban warfare game (by

Postby Double Deuce » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:12 pm

I'd be willing to give it a shot BUT I couldn't commit until after the FEUDAL game that I'm in with TRDG is completed. Not sure how long that will be though.

josta59

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Member-created urban warfare game (by

Postby josta59 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:58 am

As a little motivation, here's a map I just made so I can at least play some solitaire. I'll draft the rules next.

Urban warfare map.png
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Marines vs Mercs Urban Warfare (by me)

Postby josta59 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 pm

And here are the rules I just finished drafting. Any comments, positive negative or indifferent, are welcome.

I don't believe in intellectual property, so anyone can do whatever they want with this.

Urban Warfare Rules.docx
(22.3 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok, I've spent a month perfecting this game, and play testing is over. This game is battle-ready. Who's up?

Here's the latest version of the rules.
Attachments
Marines vs Mercs Urban Warfare Rules.docx
(24.39 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

50th
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby 50th » Mon May 13, 2013 3:51 pm

This game looks like Frag, I could play next week. This week is just too busy to be thinking about a game. Next week might work. I'll let you know on Monday. Looks interesting and I want to play.
"It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Cool. It might take months to play out, like many of our games.

I've looked at Frag a tiny bit, but I had no idea how it's played. That's interesting.

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue May 14, 2013 2:28 am

josta59 wrote:Cool. It might take months to play out, like many of our games.

I've looked at Frag a tiny bit, but I had no idea how it's played. That's interesting.

It is a FPS turned boardgame...cards for weapon and/or armor, exploding bin (...yes, Doom!) a game with a wide array of weapons like the ones you can find on a computer game.

It's a 'I move, you move' game type with (IIRC) some chance of opportunity fire during an opponent turn.

Like all the games from Jackson Games it's full of 'black humor' and played with the right people it's a blast! (pun intended :mrgreen: ).

And I have a home version (wait, I wrote the first version in y2k but some ispiration from FRAG could be leached in the later revisions...)
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 am

That does sound like my game. But hey, I saved a lot of money, and maybe I'll bring a cancer patient who happens to be a great game designer a little happiness.

Luke, you say you designed a similar game, too?

Lucky Luke

Postby Lucky Luke » Tue May 14, 2013 10:03 am

josta59 wrote:Luke, you say you designed a similar game, too?

I mean similar to "Frag", not "Marine vs Mercs"...sorry for the misguiding...

josta59 wrote:That does sound like my game. But hey, I saved a lot of money, and maybe I'll bring a cancer patient who happens to be a great game designer a little happiness.

About the game value, any amount of money is a meaningless thing compared to your goal.
And, if ever your aim was short of the target, it is worth to try...
V6!

Luca

"I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

Return to “Archives”