CALL FOR PLAYERS: Dogs of War card game (Warp Spawn, 2002)

Completed Missions

Moderators: 50th, josta59

josta59

Re: CALL FOR PLAYERS: Dogs of War card game (Warp Spawn, 200

Postby josta59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 am

Yeah, so another game I'm interested in learning and running is Jungle Skirmish, by Lloyd Krassner, lead designer at Warp Spawn and the creator of Dogs of War. I think he's pretty smart using these game systems he's come up with to make games available for free in every subgenre imaginable. His games have a lot of similarities, but Jungle Skirmish adds a map/grid to the cards and dice, using his own skirmish system. We could use a checkerboard or a hexmap. Rules here: http://www.angelfire.com/games2/warpspawn/JS.html (notice that page has had eight visitors ever!).

This isn't a call for players or even an interest check (may come later), but if someone comes across this thread and thinks they'd rather play Jungle Skirmish than Dogs of War, I'm interested in learning it and running it. Especially if two people are interested. So let me know. There's a high chance we'd be the first people in the world to ever play it, besides maybe Lloyd Krassner.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:42 am

Looks pretty good, count me in for the game Scott!!

I'll have to look at the other games like this that you mentioned, was there a fantasy type one that you saw, or a WW II version?

Cheers

Tom

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 am

Yes, plenty of each. Fantasy has its own HUGE section. Turns out they have over a thousand games now, a new one each week since 1999.
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

josta59

Postby josta59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:54 am

TRDG wrote:Looks pretty good, count me in for the game

Oh, which one were you more interested in, Tom? Dogs of War (mercs card game) or Jungle Skirmish (card-based wargame on a checkerboard)?

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Lets try the first one as you said that is where you put the most time in.

So any other takers here, we need one more player, or will I be THE KING of the Mercs all by myself.......

LOL

Cheers, gotta check those fantasy games out yet tonight!!

Tom

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:44 am

TRDG wrote:Lets try the first one as you said that is where you put the most time in.

So any other takers here, we need one more player, or will I be THE KING of the Mercs all by myself.......

Excellent. Yep, I have 141 cards on my computer that I made myself...took quite a while! And I've played through a hand to get a feel for how it works. AND I've thought through creative ways to make it more interesting. So Dogs of War is ready to go.

Just need one more player! Two would be even better.

And if anyone knows a role player on this site who might enjoy this game but hasn't looked at this thread, please let them know! Like I said, I think it will feel more like an RPG than a wargame.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I've got my hands kinda full at the moment so, I'd rather see someone else step up to the plate here....but, if you get no other takers, I'll take on Tom.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:23 pm

Whiterook wrote:I've got my hands kinda full at the moment so, I'd rather see someone else step up to the plate here....but, if you get no other takers, I'll take on Tom.

It's been a month already, but I don't know how these things normally go...

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:56 pm

josta59 wrote:
Whiterook wrote:I've got my hands kinda full at the moment so, I'd rather see someone else step up to the plate here....but, if you get no other takers, I'll take on Tom.

It's been a month already, but I don't know how these things normally go...

Either folks sign up right away, or need a little poking. If if your good with it, I'd say wait 'til the weekend and if no one jumps in, get the puppy going. Once people see a new system playing out, it gets easier to get subsequent games going.

How much of a time commitment is needed for this game? Is there a lot of rules to read?
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

josta59

Postby josta59 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 pm

The rules can be read in ten minutes, but I doubt you'll even need them. It's gonna be about the same time commitment as that dragon poll adventure, I think. I promise to make it as easy and fun as possible.

Return to “Archives”