Infection Game

Science Fiction/Fantasy After/What-if Action Reports Of Games Played

Moderators: MAGNA, Frizzenspark

dangea
Sergeant
Sergeant

Infection Game

Postby dangea » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 am

So, I used to be a part of this play by post-style zombie survival game called "Infection Game, which was started by a friend of mine from the U.K. who's online alias was "shadowstalke." It was a very primitive style of gameplay, with only a few working statistics, and the player's game being controlled completely by the whims of the admin GM's, but it was fun! This was years and years ago..

After a year or two, the site died out, leaving me as the only active member aside from another friend of mine who had recently joined (I was only a moderator and partial forum admin.) So I wasn't really able to fix-up the site, or get the info I would need to do any advertising. I wound up making my own website, modeled after the old site. Things went okay for a few weeks, I had a small group of members, and I tweaked with the game mechanics a bit... I had a dice algorithm built into the site, a deck of situational notecards for helping GMs make decisions in-game, and all in all it was a decent setup... still primitive, but it was a start.

After a month or two, the site wound up dying out, too And I have yet to actually find a similar site (or to successfully revive the site.)

I figured it was story time. Haha :p

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Infection Game

Postby TRDG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 am

Interesting can you give us a bit more on the actual gameplay and perhaps a pic or two?

Cheers

Tom

dangea
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby dangea » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, like I said, it was very primitive, and there were no pictures actually used... completely text-based...

Here's an excerpt:

How to start.
1)Pick a gameplay forum (game forum 1, game forum 2 etc.) If there are more than 10 players in a forum, you will be moved to a different gameplay forum (you will be notified by PM).
2)Create a topic in said forum that includes your name in the title. This is your game as such. All gameplay-related posts as to what you want to do etc. are posted in here.
3) Your first post should say what your profession is (in real life or ficticious KEEP THEM REALISTIC) and 1 skill which you want to have (pretty good shot w/ pistol, Renn. Faire swordfighter, etc.)
---------------------------------------
EXAMPLE:

Name: Dangea
Career Before Infection: Engineer
Skill: Steady Hand
-----------------------------------
Then a mod will get back to you and post your Avatar with your stats (range of 4-8 based on skills and career. At mod's discretion) and an extra skill. This is what is shown after each action. It looks something like this:
-------------------------------------
Name: Dangea
Job before Infection: Engineer
Skills: Steady Hand (bonus to ACC and MEL), Weight Lifter (Bonus to STR)
------------STATS------------
Intelligence (INT) :8 Accuracy (ACC) : 4
Strength (STR) : 7 Agility (AGL) : 4
Melee (MEL) : 6 Mecanical (MEC) : 5
Ingenuity (ING) (mixing stuff together) : 4
------------------------------------------------------
Upon completing the above post, you wait for a mod/admin to reply with your stats, and the setting to which your story will begin.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Got it so the Mod is acting as the GM then, is it a separate adventure for everyone or do you form groups?

Cheers

Tom

dangea
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby dangea » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:16 pm

Later on we opened up play forums that introduced group storyline, but for the most part, it was separate. Occasionally, we GM's would privately coordinate two separate adventures meeting at some point and working together.

Essentially, there were 4 original "Play Forums", and then an additional 1 that I added when I moved the site over. The 4 original were City Scene, Military Base, Co-Op Island, and Super Power Deathmatch. Then I added a Medieval-Themed Play Forum. Kind of a sword-and-sorcery-style zompocalypse with a DnD feel to it.

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Interesting, a pain I bet once in a while with all that moving and stuff, bet your glad you don't have to do that anymore!!LOL

Tom

dangea
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby dangea » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Pssh! I didn't move any of the old games or anything, just the rules and "how-to's" and stuff. Copy and paste is a godsend!!! HAHA! All in all, after starting from scratch, finding a new site to host it, opening up new topics, and copying things over... it was about a 4-6 hour job. And at the time, I was the farthest thing from tech-savvy!

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 pm

You should have tried the site move to here, now that took more than a while.

At least you have this site now to game!!

Ha Ha

Tom

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:31 pm

I near about drove Tom to drink over the move here!
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

TRDG
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby TRDG » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:14 am

YOU and ME BOTH

LOL

:twisted:

;)

Return to “Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and What-if”