AK-interactive Extreme Metal

Improve your Technique & Knowledge

Moderator: Geek44

McCoy

AK-interactive Extreme Metal

Postby McCoy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Here's a quick test I've done with AK-interactive's contender against Alclad. And we've got a strong contender indeed. At least it's a lot simpler to use. The normal setbacks still apply though that the prep work is 98% of the work, but that's good metallics so it's to be expected. But guess what! You don't need to put it on top of a blemish free high polished ultra glossy black paint layer. No, here I've put down Polished Aluminium direct on top of the kit plastic and I'm happy with it, really happy with the result. The do claim though that you need a ultra glossy black layer under their Chrome but how often do you use Chrome? It's dry to the touch within 5 minutes. Yes, I did spray it all in just one sitting holding the kit in my left hand as I blasted away with my airbrush and when I was getting near the grip on the model it was just a matter of putting it down and take a new grip on the other end and continue. And then I did one thing that really is a no no, I didn't wear any latex gloves at all, just my bare fingers against the freschly painted model. What more to say? Yes, do NOT flood the area you're painting, it doesn't like that, keep your distance and dust the paint on to the surface. Other than that I must say for the record that I'm not use to bare metal finishes. No, I've not in fact done any NMF modelling at all in the past. The dolly is painted with Extreme Metal Black base and then Steel on top of that. Why priming? Well, I'm gonna be hard on the dolly.

The kit then? Why a V-1? A boring dull thing to model! The truth is that it isn't me who've built it. No, I got it gifted to me around four years ago from a friend who gave me all his models when his wife died and he then took up model rail roading. It's poorly built, just put together withour any resemblance of prep work at all. He must've built it within 30 minutes and that's me being nice. I've spent at least 2-3 hours just sanding the thing. It wasn't easy and I'm not happy with my result with the sanding but it's much better than when I started sanding. But my soul isn't in the kit so why bother any more. I see it more as a chance to dust of my airbrush as it's not gotten much attention from me this year. Maybee I'm gonna be able to finish at least one kit this year with this one.

Conclusion:
The paint get a Highly Recomended from me. If I can use it like I've done here and it's also my first ever airbrushed natural metal finish, although not with different colour hues for different panels. This is more a case of getting to know the paint and how it behaves.

Airbrush: Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Silverline
Needle size. 0.2 mm
Pressure: 15 psi
Colour: AK-interactive Extreme Metal (AK 471 Black Base, AK 476 Steel & AK 481 Polished Aluminium). Well shaken and direct from the bottle without diluting and direct on the bare kit plastic.
Tested in an far from ideal enviroment with too much dust in the corners.
Attachments
extreme metal test.jpg
Click on me for full size!
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AK-interactive Extreme Metal

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:00 pm

FANTASTIC write-up! Love the style and format....especially the conclusion and equipment used. That's a format I'd like to encourage be used here!!!

On the paint.... Wow... I didn't realize AKI had that stuff. And good stuff it appears to be, indeed! I'm glad you brought this lot our attention, as I've been very interested in finding alternatives to Alclad; not that I think Alclad bad, but rather, I prefer something a little less finicky and toxic.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Well Em, it for sure is toxic as it's an laquer just like Alclad but it's more forgiving to use than Alclad.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:06 pm

McCoy wrote:Well Em, it for sure is toxic as it's an laquer just like Alclad but it's more forgiving to use than Alclad.

Someday, maybe I'll try out a lacquer, as I do understand what they bring to the table...but as long as I can achieve good to great results with acrylics, that's where I intend to stay. But that's just a personal thing. I don't like toxic materials I can stay away from; and perhaps there's a laziness factor of not want to deal with that *extra* that may be required with lacquers.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:47 am

Vallejo have finaly given us a great water based metallic range of paints. These are the ones you should try! http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/m ... /family/33

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:32 pm

McCoy wrote:Vallejo have finaly given us a great water based metallic range of paints. These are the ones you should try! http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/m ... /family/33

Yup...exactly what I've picked up over the holidays! :D I just haven't tried them out yet, but the first try will be on the P-51D mustang I'm working on.

Note this thread http://www.militarywargaming.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=1940&sid=933d4ae92ca77623c72f6cabfcfb8e90

Return to “Model Making Tips & Help”