MicroSet & MicroSol for Decals

Improve your Technique & Knowledge

Moderator: Geek44

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

MicroSet & MicroSol for Decals

Postby Whiterook » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:22 pm

MicroSet & MicroSol is a must for every modeler and miniature painter's toolkit.

image.jpg
image.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 698 times

MicroSet is the primary one to have, as it is used to prepare the decal for setting upon the model surface. It goes onto the model before the decal so apply it to the model or miniature with a brush before, or during the process if dipping the decal in some warm water for ten seconds; and as you take the decal out of the water, you are prepared to lay it onto a small puddle of MicroSet upon the model/miniature.

The idea is that the decal goes onto that puddle of MicroSet so there's little chance of air getting trapped under it. You might find yourself with a decal floating on a blob of MicroSet...you can wick the excess away with the corner of a paper towel or lint free cloth.

MicroSol is a solvent, and used for a totally different purpose. When you have a decal going onto a very irregular surface, and especially those with crevices, this 'blends' the decal into the surface same as if a little dude painted the actual whateveritis. When the decal is positioned correctly (after using the MicroSet), regardless of whether it's settled into cracks and crevices, you can apply the MicroSol. What this stuff actually does is to begin dissolving the carrier film that the ink of the decal is printed on. It makes the film thinner and more flexible and just by applying the solvent, the decal will eventually snuggle down into any irregularities on the surface. You can apply the solvent again and again until you're satisfied but beware...decals react differently to this stuff. Some will require several applications but others will be easily damaged after just one application. Apply enough and you will just be left with the ink used to print the decal design

NOTE: The above was a combination contribution from myself in this writing, and a majority from Geek44 from a posting on another site.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Geek44
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MicroSet & MicroSol for Decals

Postby Geek44 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:09 am

Hiya Whiterook.
Indeed these products will greatly enhance the look of your finished decals and make them far easier to apply. While I don't use these specific products I use basically exactly the same stuff by Gunze called 'Mr MarkSoft' and 'Mr MarkSet' (awesome translations from Chinese I suspect).
Enough applications of softener will eventually dissolve the carrier film almost entirely leaving only ink on the model.
Whitey...my stuff isn't copyrighted mate. Use with impunity!!
Every part a masterpiece.

McCoy

Postby McCoy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:43 pm

And they work even better if you opt to not use any decals from Academy, Tamiya or Hasegawa. They're just to thick and stiff so there's a good reason to go after market when it comes to those decals. By the way Never ever use Academy's own decals if you want to keep your sanity as they're absolutely the worst out there on the market. A bit sad though as their kits with some excepts is really good. The best thing that Academy have ever done is to team up with Cartograph so if you see their logo on an Academy kit or any other kit you know that the decals is good.
Reality - The worst game ever!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:56 pm

I guess I've been lucky, as I've used Tamiya and Hasegawa decals with no major problems, thank goodness. The worst I've worked with were from Roden.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Return to “Model Making Tips & Help”