ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Scott v. Frank, for Duncan)

Come and Play in Head-to-Head & Team Wargames!

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Scott v. Frank, for Duncan)

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:52 pm

Eastern Front: A frozen hell for the Germans. The weather has been horrific for a week, but the snows have let up and the cats are on the prowl!

The Soviets setup first; the Germans move first.

Soviets:
  • Three T-34 HQ's; three T-34's; T-34/85; Katyusha rocket-chucka.
  • Deploy three units in or within one hex of each of these hexes: A4, J1, and/or Q4.

Germans:
  • Panther HQ; Tiger; two Panthers; Puma; a choice of a Tiger or Panther.
  • One ACE marker can be placed on any one unit.
  • Deploy in or within one hex of D9 and/or N9.

Special Rules:
The German Ace can also activate friendly pieces for movement as if it were an HQ unit (6.1). It cannot be returned to play through promotion (6.2)

The German player receives one Airstrike (10.3) during play, anytime beginning on Turn 3.

Victory:
If either player destroys all enemy units, he wins; otherwise, the player who controls two of these hexes (D3, J3, L5) at the end of Turn 10 wins. All town hexes begin the game under Soviet control.

Cats setup.jpg

We have some new rules and pieces not seen before so I'll answer whatever questions you have on the Logistics thread. Rules are from the second edition of the Eastern Front game. I've got quite a bit going on right now but, I'll try to keep the game going steady.

Please discuss with each other to decide who plays which side and we'll start from there.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Duncan

Re: ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Scott v. Duncan)

Postby Duncan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 am

I won't be able to start until next week.
Scott can choose sides.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:39 pm

Oh man, this looks really fun! As tempting as that air strike is, I think I'll be the Soviets. I'll definitely get in a couple of those village objectives and be able to defend them for a while.

Looking forward to an epic battle, Duncan!
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:31 pm

josta59 wrote:Oh man, this looks really fun! As tempting as that air strike is, I think I'll be the Soviets. I'll definitely get in a couple of those village objectives and be able to defend them for a while.

Cool! :D I'm playing the Soviets in my game against Frank, so I'll be curious to see how you handle your forces.

OK, since you are the Soviets, you get to setup your units first, so when you're ready, send me your units, coordinates, and facing.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:16 am

josta59 wrote:Oh man, this looks really fun! As tempting as that air strike is, I think I'll be the Soviets. I'll definitely get in a couple of those village objectives and be able to defend them for a while.

A'right man. Your set up first then.

josta59

Postby josta59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Ok, here we go:

Katyusha on J2, facing J3
T34/85 on B4, facing C5
KV/85 on P4, facing O5
T-34 HQs on A4 (facing B5), J1 (facing J2), and Q4 (facing P4)
T-34s on B3 (facing C4), I2 (facing I3), and Q5 (facing P5)
"...military glory, that attractive rainbow that rises in showers of blood—that serpent's eye that charms to destroy..." --Abraham Lincoln, 1848

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:11 am

Do I wait to see the Soviet set up, or list mine prior to seeing it on the forum?

Either would have worked, as we are in setup...but I am about to start Scott's setup now. Feel free to send your orders for placement if you're on here before I finish.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:42 pm

OK, Scott's Soviet setup is as follows...

SOVset.jpg

A few notes on the map:

The new terrain feature you see in hexes such as G2 and H2 are a Depression. Basically, you couldn't see him, or he you unless you're both in adjacent hexes of depression and level ground (peeking down, as it were). It also allows for defilade.

Also note the Hill of H5 and I6...the side facing G6/H6/I7 is a cliff, which you can't move a tank up from that direction. Note the other side is sloping, so tanks can drive up and perch on the hill.

A note on the rules:

We've not played Airstrikes yet in previous games....they can be deadly.

Another thing to figure out is the Russian Mass activation rule, which basically means Scott can spend two APs to activate three HQ units for movement (and adjacent units can still be activated by those HQs). The caveat here is, he still have to gain enough APs to use them!

In other words, if he mass activate three HQ's that are not adjacent to each other, he better get three APs to move the three of them. If he doesn't, he looses his whole turn in that attempt; gaining 2AP's for three distant HQs would in this instance, screw him out of their move...so there is great risk with great power :lol: :shock:

Lastly....a note on Scott's Katyusha: It's a rocket launcher, and basically like a self-propelled artillery. So, he can hide behind something and fire it at you, as long as he has something with a LOS that can spot for it.

Alright German Commander! Where do you want your units setup....make sure to note hex and facing hex, please. I'll get them onboard and then you can start Turn 1!

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Ok - hope I got this correct.

PANTHER HQ - N9/N (as in facing North)
PANTHER - N8/N
TIGER - M9/NE (as in facing North East)

PANTHER - D8/N
TIGER ACE - E9/N
PUMA - D9/N

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 pm

OK, we have the German setup :D

GEsetup.jpg

If everything looks good Duncan, you move first.

There's an old Tank on Tank Q&A thread in the Logistics area ...if you have any questions, that would be the place to talk at length.

Return to “MWF Play-by-Post Wargames”