ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Come and Play in Head-to-Head & Team Wargames!

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Postby Frank » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Whiterook wrote:Frank, mate...I wasn't expecting you to be so bloody aggressive :shock: :o :shock: It really threw me off my mark right out of the gate. Your Defensive armor is scary, man....this is going to be a tough fight for me.

Who could resist the extra hex of move coupled with the 3 hex range :twisted: Does look like neither of us has our eye in yet though. :lol:

Just one thing though mate, it looks like I was a bit vague with my orders, I had meant that both Tigers went 2 hexs up the road. I think you had said that the "ace" was the same as being an HQ, did I misunderstand that bit? If he could not give a group order then fair enough.

I just popped in for a quick check on things before I head on out to my club so I will have a look tomorrow and get back to you.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Frank wrote:
Whiterook wrote:Frank, mate...I wasn't expecting you to be so bloody aggressive :shock: :o :shock: It really threw me off my mark right out of the gate. Your Defensive armor is scary, man....this is going to be a tough fight for me.

Who could resist the extra hex of move coupled with the 3 hex range :twisted: Does look like neither of us has our eye in yet though. :lol:

Just one thing though mate, it looks like I was a bit vague with my orders, I had meant that both Tigers went 2 hexs up the road. I think you had said that the "ace" was the same as being an HQ, did I misunderstand that bit? If he could not give a group order then fair enough.

I just popped in for a quick check on things before I head on out to my club so I will have a look tomorrow and get back to you.

No problem mate...I amended the earlier map with the second Tiger counter moved. Thanks for clarifying, and please DO clarify when you see something, as there are a lot of moving bits on several games so, I can easily see my missing things. This newer version of TonT also has some new rules that I need to get committed to memory...like my Soviets can only group fire if adjacent/contiguous to one another :shock: ...and Mass Activation. My poor old brain is getting a workout :lol:

That was a combination of things in my interpretation: A the one hex destination had me thinking one counter ('Tigers move 2 hexs up the road to D7' ); and I have come to think like a monkey in a lab, in terms of thinking of a unit (counter) as a platoon of tanks (hence, tanks, or Tigers) have me knee-jerk-reaction think a counter....

You know, the interesting thing is, after reading your post, I went back and looked at the rules to see what the counters are actually designated as....they're not :o I am still assuming platoons, given the map topography like towns, but man, it would take a big argument to consider it one tank.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:14 pm

It was my fault mate, I knew what I was thinking and expected you to know as well. I did think that you could always only do a group activation if you were contiguous though.

Anyway;

1/
Panther group move;
N7 to P7 facing P6
N6 to O7 face O6
M6 to N6 face N5.

2/
Group shoot at P5

3/
Both Tigers move 2 hexs up the road, face North

4/Puma to A6 face B5
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Turn 2, Impulse 1

The German commander receives 3 APs....

1st AP....
Move Panthers move 3 hexs up the road to M6, keeping their North facing.
N7 > P7/P6
N6 > O7/O6
M6 > N6/N5

2nd AP....
Fire Panthers in P7 + O7 + N6 @ T-34 in P5
-------> Roll 4 + 2 + 3 Firing = 9 ATTACK; compared to T-34's 9 DEFENSE
-------> RESULT: HIT/KILL

3rd AP....
Tigers moves 2 hexes up the road to D7 and E8
D7 > D5/D4 road march
E8 > D6/D5 road march

Turn 2, Impulse 2

The Russian commander receives 3 APs....

1st AP....
Move T34HQ D2 > Town D3/D4; Katyusha B2 > C2/C3.

2nd AP....
Fire T-34HQ in C3 + D3 and Katyusha in B2 @ Tiger in D5
-------> Roll 1 + 6 + 3 Firing = 10 ATTACK; compared to Tiger's 11 DEFENSE
-------> RESULT: MISS

3rd AP....
Move T-34/85 in Q4 > Depression O3/O4

SITREP....

T2 end.jpg

You're up Frank

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:56 pm

In a word: CRAP. Missing whole barrage against that Tiger platoon is not good. Your armor defense is just monumental, mate.

I liked your shift on the Panthers, BTW....I was literally like, 'Oh...shit'. I could hear the rumble of the treads.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:18 am

Yeah the Tigers armour value is scary, that was mas what made my game against Scott so difficult, armour 11 plus a +1 for being in a town really means you need as big a fire group as you can assemble to stand a reasonable chance. Now we have realised that a firegroup still needs los for all its members it really nerfs big groups as the most you can get actually shooting is the 3 in the front, plus possibly an indirect fire vehicle behind.

With the Panthers I was in two minds on what to do next if they had snuck up and done nasty things to you in the first turn. If I had just left one `34 standing at the start of turn two and you did take one of mine out it would have been a choice to stay around and try to take out the other one or just push on trusting to my armour to keep me safe

I am really glad though there are two nice roads running S to N so I can actually get them where they need to be. That said:

1/
Tiger D5 toC5, fN. D6 to D5, fN

2/
Both Tigers shoot C3.

3/
group move Panthers
N6 to L5, fK5
O7 to M6, fL5
P7 toN6,fM6

4/
L5 shoot K5.

The first two orders were fairly obvious but what to do foe my possible extra two really had me scratching my head.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:19 pm

Turn 3, Impulse 1

The German commander receives 3 APs....

1st AP....
Group Move:
Tiger D6 > C5/fN
Tiger Ace D6 > D5/fN

2nd AP....
Fire Tigers in C5 + D5 @ T-34 HQ on Hill C3
-------> Roll 5 + 4 + 2 Firing = 11 ATTACK; compared to T-34 HQ 9 DEFENSE
-------> RESULT: HIT/KILL

3rd AP....
Group Move:
Panther N6 > L5/fNW, road move
Panther O7 > M6/fNW, road move
Panther P7 > N6/fNW, road move

I'll need to ponder on this a little...that T-34 loss has me reeling. Well played on that ACE....and you nailed me without needing a second roll with it. Dang! :cry: :)

SITREP....

T3i1.jpg

Note that I am trying a new format on action orders with regards to facing....after seeing how Duncan placed his orders by compass bearing, that made great sense and speeds up my annototion duties :D

Think of the hex as a compass: Starting with N (North), the hex side to its' immediate right and left are NE and NW, respectively. Same for the S (South), the hex side to its' immediate right and left are SE and SW, respectively. The 'f' prefixing these designations just means facing.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:10 pm

The compass references do make a lot of sense.

I very nearly shot at the T34 in the town hex but I needed to actually kill what I aimed at so I went for the one without the +1 armour for being in a town hex. As it turned out it would have made no difference but it did no harm being careful.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:06 pm

NOTE: I'm unavailable for a week so, the game will be paused until next Saturday at the earliest.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Frank...I'm back! I'll have a look at this tomorrow and post my move. Sorry for the delay.

Return to “MWF Play-by-Post Wargames”