ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Come and Play in Head-to-Head & Team Wargames!

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Postby Frank » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:09 pm

That changed the complexion of the game quite a bit, you were really unlucky with the shots on the Panther though the Katy just fluffed it completely.

Have you got the rules for arti right? Most games I have played treat arti as hitting the weaker top or side armour, is there any provision for that in this game?

1/
group move
Panther K7 to J8,f N, panther L6 to K8, fN.

2/
Group shoot
both at J7

3/
Tiger to E4, f NE

4/
Puma to D4, f N
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:35 pm

Frank wrote:That changed the complexion of the game quite a bit, you were really unlucky with the shots on the Panther though the Katy just fluffed it completely.

It is truly something how one round in a wargame can go so south, so quickly. Sometimes, the dice are just damned cruel :lol: The Katy was aiming for a family of squirrels to you left. Mission accomplished!

Frank wrote:Have you got the rules for arti right? Most games I have played treat arti as hitting the weaker top or side armour, is there any provision for that in this game?

This game is extremely basic...one of the reasons it plays so quick. Anyway, Katyusha's are just glorified artillery units in this game; there is no distinction in combat to armor, other than the very general concept of "Defense" within the defensive factor. That defensive factor is just an overall 'what does it take to kill you' dice roll....it's not to a specific side, top, thickness, or number of squirrels you have strapped to the skirting. :lol: 'Squirrels strapped to the skirting'....I crack myself up!

I'll get to your orders soonest, mate...getting tired and I don't want to screw anything up :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:00 am

No rush mate. I was just wondering if there was a reduction to defense same as a flank shot.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:55 pm

Turn 5, Impulse 1

The German commander receives 4 APs ( :shock: ...rolled two 6's! As Lionus said so eloquently...'I'm doomed')....

1st AP....
Group Move:
Panther HQ K7 > J8/N (taking advantage of what I handed him on a silver platter...an ass shot!)

2nd AP....
Fire Panthers in J8+ L6 @ the Russian T34 in J7
-------> Roll 3 + 5 + 2 Firing = 10 ATTACK; compared to T34 HQ's 9 DEFENSE
-------> RESULT: KILL

3rd AP....
Move Tiger ACE in D5 > E4/NE Road March

4th AP....
Move Puma D7 > Hill D4/N

SITREP MAP

T5i1.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:59 pm

OUCH!

Well, my last move was a calculated risk, and I realized a veteran Tank on Tanker like Frank would make me pay!!! (...just as I would have :lol: 8-) ) Nicely played, Commander!!!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:26 pm

Turn 5, Impulse 2

The Russian commander receives 4 APs (thank God!!!)....

1st AP....
Move KV/85 Town J3 > K5/S Road March

2nd AP....
Fire T-34 in Town L5 + KV.85 in K5 @ the German Panther in L6
-------> Roll 2 + 6 + 2 Firing = 10 ATTACK; compared to Panther's 10 DEFENSE

3rd AP....
Hail Mary Fire Katyusha in C2 @ the German Tiger ACE in E4
-------> Roll 4 + 6 + 1 Firing = 11 ATTACK; compared to Tiger's 11 DEFENSE

4th AP....
Move T34/85 Depression E3 > M4/S

SITREP MAP

T5i2.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Well, is this swinging back and forth enough for you?

Man....I kinda get the rocket launcher, as that's bad news to an opponent...but firing alone was at best, a gambling hope. It was pretty well F*ed if a Tiger Ace and Puma were coming after it... I don't think it had long to live, so I had to throw the Hail Mary Broken Arrow. I'm just flat out lucky I matched your armor with my firepower.

The double team against your Panther was a squeaker, too! ...I really hated moving my KV/85 out in the open like that, but this damed 'Russians need to be adjacent to group fire'-thing is a real bitch. Mate...I'm as shocked as anyone that worked! A KV/85 is a pretty powerful opponent, but it's really, only reflected in it's armor; firepower is still just luck of the dice....I think the game would benefit if their were variables added per advanced unit type.

Anyway....as you mentioned earlier...changes the complexity of the game...once again.

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:59 am

Ok, before Scott starts throwing the "S" word about again lets call in my air strike :twisted:

1 and 2/
Stuka the `85 in K5.

3/
Puma move to D3.

4/
Shoot the Katy!!!!!

Well this game sure aint boring :lol: I thought I might lose a Panther but that I should be able to leave the Puma to hunt the Katy while the Tiger snuck (well, lumbered) up the road behind your main group.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Turn 6, Impulse 1

The German commander receives 3 APs

AIRSTRIKE!!!!! :o

1st and 2nd APs....
The unmistakable whine of Ju-87 Stuka dive-bombers scream in from above, targeting the Russian KV/85 platoon in open hex K5: First strike counter on target hex K5; roll 1d6=1, second strike counter on K4 (empty hex...no roll needed); roll 1d6=5, third strike counter in Town J3 (empty hex...no roll needed).

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 2.29.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 2.29.03 PM.png (26.32 KiB) Viewed 214 times

....just so you all get a taste for how this works (dice rolling) in VASSAL: The 3,3 was for determining the third and 4th AP (3rd, 1-2 fails; 4th 1-3 fails), so Frank got 3 AP's. The '1' was for the second airstrike counter in K4. The '6' was for the third airstrike counter in J3. The '3, 5' was the combat roll. I love how the system lets you do all this in-engine!!!

Anyway, back to the action!!!

Screen Shot 2017-04-15 at 2.15.41 PM.jpg

Roll for occupied target hex, with the KV/85 platoon....
-------> Roll 3 + 5 + 2 Firing modifier = 10 ATTACK; compared to T34 HQ's 9 DEFENSE

3rd AP....
Move Puma in D4 > D3/N

SITREP MAP

T6i1.jpg

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Now that was cool!

Need to ponder this a bit mate...and hockey is on (priorities, don't you know). Nicely played!!! I was lucky the blasts went away from my other unit.

Return to “MWF Play-by-Post Wargames”