ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Come and Play in Head-to-Head & Team Wargames!

Moderators: 50th, josta59

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Postby Whiterook » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Eastern Front: A frozen hell for the Germans. The weather has been horrific for a week, but the snows have let up and the cats are on the prowl!

The Soviets setup first; the Germans move first.

Soviets:
  • Three T-34 HQ's; three T-34's; T-34/85; Katyusha rocket-chucka.
  • Deploy three units in or within one hex of each of these hexes: A4, J1, and/or Q4.

Germans:
  • Panther HQ; Tiger; two Panthers; Puma; a choice of a Tiger or Panther.
  • One ACE marker can be placed on any one unit.
  • Deploy in or within one hex of D9 and/or N9.

Special Rules:
The German Ace can also activate friendly pieces for movement as if it were an HQ unit (6.1). It cannot be returned to play through promotion (6.2)

The German player receives one Airstrike (10.3) during play, anytime beginning on Turn 3.

Victory:
If either player destroys all enemy units, he wins; otherwise, the player who controls two of these hexes (D3, J3, L5) at the end of Turn 10 wins. All town hexes begin the game under Soviet control.

Cats setup.jpg

We have some new rules and pieces not seen before so I'll answer whatever questions you have on the Logistics thread. Rules are from the second edition of the Eastern Front game. I've got quite a bit going on right now but, I'll try to keep the game going steady.

Frank....please feel free to choose your side and we'll start from there.
If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ToT: Cats on the Prowl (Frank v. Em)

Postby Frank » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:38 pm

I quite like the look of the German force so I will take them please, with a Tiger.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Frank wrote:I quite like the look of the German force so I will take them please, with a Tiger.

Sounds good! I'll start plotting for my Soviets :D ....I set up first; then, you'll move onto the board with your units how you like, according to the stipulations above. I look forward to the conflict!

I do believe the maps are much bigger on this new version :D ...lot more maneuvering ahead!!! I like a bigger map for this game, as the older version made things kinda cramped and claustrophobic, in my humble opinion.

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:36 pm

OK, this is my Soviet setup!

SetupSOV.jpg

A few notes on the map:

The new terrain feature you see in hexes such as G2 and H2 are a Depression. Basically, you couldn't see me, or me you unless we are in adjacent hexes of depression and level ground (peeking down, as it were). It also allows for defilade.

Also note the Hill of H5 and I6...the side facing G6/H6/I7 is a cliff, which you can't move a tank up from that direction. Note the other side is sloping, so tanks can drive up and perch on the hill.

A note on the rules:

We've not played Airstrikes yet in previous games....they can be deadly.

Another thing to figure out is the Russian Mass activation rule, which basically means I can spend two APs to activate three HQ units for movement (and adjacent units can still be activated by those HQs). The caveat here is, I still have to gain enough APs to use them!

In other words, if I mass activate three HQ's that are not adjacent to each other, I better get three APs to move the three of them. If I don't, I loose my whole turn in that attempt; gaining 2AP's for three distant HQs would in this instance, screw me out of their move...so their is great risk with great power :lol: :shock:

Lastly....a note on my Katyusha: It's a rocket launcher, and basically like a self-propelled artillery. So, I can hide behind something and fire it at you, as long as I have something with a LOS that can spot for it.

Alright my good enemy Commander! Where do you want your units setup....make sure to note hex and facing hex, please. I'll get them onboard and then you can start Turn 1!

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:49 pm

I gotta tell 'ya...I really pained over those units in Hex rows P and Q, on my left flank. One opart of me wanted more firepower in the center and right flank potentially not work about the Victory Town Hex L5. But the counterpoint to that was leaving a possible, juicy flanking maneuver to you to pound my massed (at that point) left flank.

For a supposedly 'simple' game, this has some real though decisions to it. The wildcard in this scenario is your setting up second, and not knowing what massing you plan and the direction they flow.

This is going to be good! :D

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:47 pm

Whiterook wrote:
This is going to be good! :D

Can`t argue with that. :D It`s going to be interesting to play the same scenario both games, really show different styles of play and tactics.

Ok.

Tiger ace in D9, Tiger inE9 and Puma in C9. All facing North, or top.

Panther Hq in N9, other Panthers in N8 and N10. All facing North.
"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check.But that is not what I have found, it is the small everyday acts of normal folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:43 pm

OK, hopefully I got everything setup right.

SetupGE.jpg

Frank, you get to start the game :D

Frank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Frank » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Ok, lets get the party started.

EVERYBODY CONGAAA!!!!

1/
The panthers move 3 hexs up the road to M6, keeping their North facing.

2/
Shoot at T34 in P4. One definitely has LOS, not sure about the second.

3/
Tigers move 2 hexs up the road to D7 keeping their North facing, Puma moves to B8.
Gandalf the Grey

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:03 pm

OK, we're off!!!

Turn 1, Impulse 1

The German commander receives 4 APs....

1st AP....
Move Panthers move 3 hexs up the road to M6, keeping their North facing.

2nd AP....
Fire Panthers in M6 + N6 @ T-34 in P4
-------> Roll 3 + 2 + 2 Firing = 7 ATTACK; compared to T-34's 9 DEFENSE
-------> RESULT: MISS

3rd AP....
Tigers moves 2 hexes up the road to D7 and E8

4th AP....
Puma moves to B8

Turn 1, Impulse 2

The Russian commander receives 4 APs....

1st AP....
Move T34HQ B3 to D2; T34HQ in A4 to Hill C3; Katyusha to B2.

2nd AP....
Move T-34HQ J2 > K5, change facing; T-34 in K2 > K4, change facing; T-34 in I2 > I4; KV/85 in J1 > Town J3

3rd AP....
Move T-34 in P4 > Hill P5

4th AP....
Fire T-34 on Hill P5 @ Panther in N6
-------> Roll 3 + 3 + 1 Firing = 7 ATTACK; compared to Panther's 10 DEFENSE
-------> RESULT: MISS

SITREP....

T1 end.jpg

Frank is up next

Whiterook
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Whiterook » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:05 pm

Frank, mate...I wasn't expecting you to be so bloody aggressive :shock: :o :shock: It really threw me off my mark right out of the gate. Your Defensive armor is scary, man....this is going to be a tough fight for me.

Return to “MWF Play-by-Post Wargames”